Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Airport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

dzilla wrote: »

Against what volume of passengers?

Waterford Airport is 'FINISHED' unless they get the runway extended.
    Which carrier is going to seriously consider using a regional airport that cannot accommodate jet aircraft & they are not going to wait around for the next ten years for us to make up our minds on what we are going to do while we are waiting for something to happen!

Against what volume of passengers?

Waterford Airport is 'FINISHED' unless they get the runway extended.
    Which carrier is going to seriously consider using a regional airport that cannot accommodate jet aircraft & they are not going to wait around for the next ten years for us to make up our minds on what we are going to do while we are waiting for something to happen!

Airlines that don't rely solely on Jet Aircraft for the time being. FlyBe, Stobart among others.

I believe that positive news is around the corner in the next number of months

Regarding the numbers
    http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/as/aviationstatistics2013/#.VBFpw_ldXUZ

It is exciting times for the airport I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you dont need jets to shift numbers.
    This from breaking news today, about aer Lingus regional which is a propeller plane only operation :
    More than 900,000 passengers have been flown on the Aer Lingus Regional network since the beginning of the calendar year, an increase of 176,000 (24%) passengers compared to the same period in 2013.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/aer-lingus-regional-announces-further-growth-in-passenger-numbers-641656.html

In other news, the 3 times a day Aer Lingus Regional connection from Shannon to Manchester with a 50seater plane is being essentially replaced by one Ryanair service a day with a 180seat jet.

Now, is that a move forward that theres now a jet, but less services to Manchester and less choice of departure time? It arguably isn't.

you dont need jets to shift numbers.
    This from breaking news today, about aer Lingus regional which is a propeller plane only operation :

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/aer-lingus-regional-announces-further-growth-in-passenger-numbers-641656.html

In other news, the 3 times a day Aer Lingus Regional connection from Shannon to Manchester with a 50seater plane is being essentially replaced by one Ryanair service a day with a 180seat jet.

Now, is that a move forward that theres now a jet, but less services to Manchester and less choice of departure time? It arguably isn't.

Whilst on holidays the last two years I was moving between a lot of islands and I found myself of the Bombarier q400, same plane as flybe. I find them to have a bit more leg room and comfort that the no frills 737s. Anyway there is quite a shift to these economical and quieter turboprops world wide with Bombarier experience high sales and having to meet a high demand for the turbo prop

• Advertisement

Also I have noticed that the airport cannot post on facebook any postitive news without a load of retarded comments about a London Route (like these things just don't happen over night) Anyway the airport replied yesterday with some news -

"Hi everyone, Thank you for all the well wishes and a huge thank you to our customers. with regard to London, we are sure that you are aware that London is always a priority for Waterford Airport and it is a topic which never leaves the table, we continue to work on this. We are currently in planning permission stages for our runway works, which will also help our position."

We're into the 21st Century & people here are saying we don't need jets!
    Are ye for f**king real people or just slow! Is Flybe or Stobart the limit of your horizons of what you want for Waterford Airport!

Is it any wonder why we are where today!

Are ye for f**king real people or just slow! Is Flybe or Stobart the limit of your horizons of what you want for Waterford Airport!

Is it any wonder why we are where today!

Of course Jets would be welcomed, anything that would be progress and make our City great again is welcomed.

I think you are maybe taking this a bit out of context, we must make do with what we have which are turboprops for the moment. There is a vision there for the airport that in time will enable jets, as I mentioned previously land has been acquired planning for a runway is in progress but for the moment turboprops are the limits of what we can use. I feel that you are being needlessly negative, Rome was not built in a day and this kind of infrastructure does not happen over night.

dzilla wrote: »
    Of course Jets would be welcomed, anything that would be progress and make our City great again is welcomed.

I think you are maybe taking this a bit out of context, we must make do with what we have which are turboprops for the moment. There is a vision there for the airport that in time will enable jets, as I mentioned previously land has been acquired planning for a runway is in progress but for the moment turboprops are the limits of what we can use. I feel that you are being needlessly negative, Rome was not built in a day and this kind of infrastructure does not happen over night.

I have a vision of being a multi millionaire with a home on Lake Garda with the yacht in tow but it's never going to happen.
    I have a vision that I'm going to play in an AI hurling final & bring back the cup to Waterford but that's not going to happen either.

A vision is a dream & nothing more & all we've had is dreams & visions in this city/county for too long without the ACTION that's required.

What will be the largest jet capacity the 'new' runway will cater for out of idle curiosity because by the time we'll act upon it, it will need to be increased in size again so do it now when we have the men & machinery.

I have a vision of being a multi millionaire with a home on Lake Garda with the yacht in tow but it's never going to happen.
    I have a vision that I'm going to play in an AI hurling final & bring back the cup to Waterford but that's not going to happen either.

A vision is a dream & nothing more & all we've had is dreams & visions in this city/county for too long without the ACTION that's required.

What will be the largest jet capacity the 'new' runway will cater for out of idle curiosity because by the time we'll act upon it, it will need to be increased in size again so do it now when we have the men & machinery.

Largest jet capacity will be Medium Size Jets 737 / A320s with capacity restricions I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

E195, BAe 146, CSeries size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

... and you don't think a fast turbo-prop service to ten destinations would be better than a not-any-faster jet service to one?

This is the 21st Century and today's jets are only now as fuel-efficient per passenger as the propellor aircraft they replaced in the 1960s. In the meantime, the number of routes from smaller airports had got smaller and smaller and smaller.

So no, we don't need jets for regional airports, we need people to have realistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

If only we all had your clarity and business/government expertise Quiet Fella, how do you propose this super runway is to be funded. Maybe you should just write to the dept of finance and us slow people saying we dont want a 100m extension we want a 300m one capable of handling those massive new airbuses, easy as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Didnt it have jet aircraft going to Malaga and Faro few years ago

Also, City jet operate small jet aircraft that should manage the small runway

If we build a runway for jets, do you think an airline will suddenly start using it ?

Those Aer Lingus Regional numbers are up because they have replaced previous jet routes like Cork to Man etc with EI Regional

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

savic04 wrote: »
    Didnt it have jet aircraft going to Malaga and Faro few years ago

Yes, they were BAe146s, which comparatively few airlines use. Apparently they're good on shorter runways, but not so good on fuel, which is a big deal in fairness.

Also, City jet operate small jet aircraft that should manage the small runway

True, but CityJet service the premium business market between major business centres (e.g. Dublin, London City and Paris). I would be very surprised to ever see them at Waterford.

If we build a runway for jets, do you think an airline will suddenly start using it?

That's not for me to say, but as things stand, the runway is inadequate for the commonest jets in the major airline fleets, the Boeing 737s and the Airbus A319/A320 models. Having the longer runway would mean the ability to cater for these aircraft.

I gather that the runway length proposed would be very borderline for Ryanair's 737s (as in it could take the aircraft according to manufacturer's specs, but it's below the standard minimum length that the airline insists on); however it would be long enough for EasyJet's A319s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

fricatus wrote: »
    Yes, they were BAe146s, which comparatively few airlines use. Apparently they're good on shorter runways, but not so good on fuel, which is a big deal in fairness.

True, but CityJet service the premium business market between major business centres (e.g. Dublin, London City and Paris). I would be very surprised to ever see them at Waterford.

That's not for me to say, but as things stand, the runway is inadequate for the commonest jets in the major airline fleets, the Boeing 737s and the Airbus A319/A320 models. Having the longer runway would mean the ability to cater for these aircraft.

I gather that the runway length proposed would be very borderline for Ryanair's 737s (as in it could take the aircraft according to manufacturer's specs, but it's below the standard minimum length that the airline insists on); however it would be long enough for EasyJet's A319s.

The problem is Easy Jet don't fly into Ireland and I can't see that changing

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

surely if they extend the runway, they need to do it for 737/a320s etc

Kinda pointless half arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The problem is Easy Jet don't fly into Ireland and I can't see that changing

Waterford could pay to get east jet in, and then Ryanair would step in and easy jet pull out. Then you have fr.

Max Powers wrote: »
    If only we all had your clarity and business/government expertise Quiet Fella, how do you propose this super runway is to be funded. Maybe you should just write to the dept of finance and us slow people saying we dont want a 100m extension we want a 300m one capable of handling those massive new airbuses, easy as that.

We have well paid elected public representatives who are more then capable of putting their shoulder to the wheel if they were half arsed about it but trying to divide your time between water companies & other distractions I guess something has to give!

We have well paid elected public representatives who are more then capable of putting their shoulder to the wheel if they were half arsed about it but trying to divide your time between water companies & other distractions I guess something has to give!

To be honest I have no faith in our public representatives in the South East but that is something I will not get into. I know Deasy broke the news about the runway investment as if he had been the driving force behind it but all the credit is due to the staff at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 flybeguy

Credit due to staff at airport, i'm thinking you mean management there as other staff have absolutely no idea what is going on. For the past year I believe ( i will have to confirm ) the staff have been on week on week off while 5 managers, and I think 4 supervisor's are working every week supervisor's only down a few hours ( again need to confirm this ). Why are they 5 manager's , 4 supervisors for a small number of staff. If people want to save money then i think by cutting management/supervisors might be an idea instead of trying to take everything off the staff that are on week on week off. Not only is it week on week off but they have cut the staff's shift allowance and expect the staff to work for flat rate after rostered hours are up. They hire a guy on big money to run the place and get in flights and nothing has changed since he went there, if that was any other job he would have been sacked long ago. Have other management taking cuts as big as the other staff I would guess not. As for the politicians helping the airport I do believe they want it to work but will not rock the boat and insist on the runway extension because there jobs are too important. The government only give a toss about the 3 main airports so to expect anything from them for the airport is naive to say the least. And before people ask I don't work there I have a good friend that does and this is not a personal dig at any individual out there but if cut's are happening then they should be across the board not aimed at 1 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

..i will have to confirm ... again need to confirm this...

Why post B*S* without checking first ?

And before people ask I don't work... yes you do....

must be a slow morning out there and also have taken you all morning come come up with "Flybeguy" lol, You need to start counting there's not 5 managers or 4 supervisors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

flybeguy wrote: »
    Credit due to staff at airport, i'm thinking you mean management there as other staff have absolutely no idea what is going on. For the past year I believe ( i will have to confirm ) the staff have been on week on week off while 5 managers, and I think 4 supervisor's are working every week supervisor's only down a few hours ( again need to confirm this ). Why are they 5 manager's , 4 supervisors for a small number of staff. If people want to save money then i think by cutting management/supervisors might be an idea instead of trying to take everything off the staff that are on week on week off. Not only is it week on week off but they have cut the staff's shift allowance and expect the staff to work for flat rate after rostered hours are up. They hire a guy on big money to run the place and get in flights and nothing has changed since he went there, if that was any other job he would have been sacked long ago. Have other management taking cuts as big as the other staff I would guess not. As for the politicians helping the airport I do believe they want it to work but will not rock the boat and insist on the runway extension because there jobs are too important. The government only give a toss about the 3 main airports so to expect anything from them for the airport is naive to say the least. And before people ask I don't work there I have a good friend that does and this is not a personal dig at any individual out there but if cut's are happening then they should be across the board not aimed at 1 group.

Galway Airport Staff member rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

flybeguy wrote: »

Another person who thinks the business runs for the staff rather than to make a profit,

I can't find the newspaper but 42% equates to ten extra passengers a week using the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I can't find the newspaper but 42% equates to ten extra passengers a week using the airport!

I'm always amused at the nonsense that's spouted on these threads. Most of which is so far from reality (See..eh..Flybeguy above)I don't know wether to laugh or cry! I can't be arsed correcting most of these post as your just dealing with gob****es but I'll bite on this one...

I'll be fair and give TheQuietFella (who isn't really that quite at all!) a chance to find the newspaper and check his figures regarding the above before coming on an either posting the correct figures or else admitting he has made a total balls of it, is way off the mark and was just seeing what he wanted to see in order to have a pop at the airport!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I'm always amused at the nonsense that's spouted on these threads. Most of which is so far from reality (See..eh..Flybeguy above)I don't know wether to laugh or cry! I can't be arsed correcting most of these post as your just dealing with gob****es but I'll bite on this one...

I'll be fair and give TheQuietFella (who isn't really that quite at all!) a chance to check his figures regarding the above before coming on an either posting the correct figures or else admitting he has made a total balls of it, is way off the mark and was just seeing what he wanted to see in order to have a pop at the airport!

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

so 34 a week instead of 24, gimmie a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

WAT-BHX 2588 PAX for August, 92% Load Factor.
    WAT-MAN 1925 PAX for August, 88% Load Factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Plane Fan

b757 wrote: »
    WAT-BHX 2588 PAX for August, 92% Load Factor.
    WAT-MAN 1925 PAX for August, 88% Load Factor.
    Superb load factors compared to previous years on those routes when RE had them! Shouldn't that be enough to get flybe to operate Manchester next year, I suppose next month will tell when BE launch the S15 Schedule!

Advertisement