Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Email from Redwolf Airsoft

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

I got this email from Redwolf Airsoft a day after ordering a pistol online. Has anybody else got anything like this. I presume it is highly illegal to ask customers for such information.

"Hi,
    Thank you for ordering from RedWolf Airsoft. In order to ensure the validity of our transactions, we will conduct verification of orders with customers from time to time. For order# xxxxxxxx, please kindly note we will need a copy of the following documents prior the order can be proceeded:
    1. a copy (BOTH FRONT AND BACK) of the credit card used
    2. a copy of cardholder’s driving license / identity card / passport
    The copies will need to be COLOURED, please kindly make them in CLEAR resolution, and as BIG as possible so our verification team can process it for you right away. We will make sure to ship the products right after the verification process is completed. And as a friendly reminder, please DO NOT send details by fax, but email instead, you can either scan or take photos of them. Please be reminded that the credit card needs to be signed, otherwise it won't be valid. Thank you.
    We look forward to completing the order for you."

They had my order number correct so it is either official or somebody has access to their records.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Having made hundreds of overseas transactions using credit cards, I have never once been asked for any of those details ever.
    Sounds like someone is trying to steal your identity details, commonly known as phishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I got this email from Redwolf Airsoft a day after ordering a pistol online. Has anybody else got anything like this. I presume it is highly illegal to ask customers for such information.

"Hi,
    Thank you for ordering from RedWolf Airsoft. In order to ensure the validity of our transactions, we will conduct verification of orders with customers from time to time. For order# xxxxxxxx, please kindly note we will need a copy of the following documents prior the order can be proceeded:
    1. a copy (BOTH FRONT AND BACK) of the credit card used
    2. a copy of cardholder’s driving license / identity card / passport
    The copies will need to be COLOURED, please kindly make them in CLEAR resolution, and as BIG as possible so our verification team can process it for you right away. We will make sure to ship the products right after the verification process is completed. And as a friendly reminder, please DO NOT send details by fax, but email instead, you can either scan or take photos of them. Please be reminded that the credit card needs to be signed, otherwise it won't be valid. Thank you.
    We look forward to completing the order for you."

They had my order number correct so it is either official or somebody has access to their records.

contact citizens information here in Ireland and then send RWA an email using the email you find on their website, send one to both UK and US Redwolf.
    Sounds dodgey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I contacted redwolf via the online form on their website and they contacted me straight away sating this was company policy. They said i can also use paypal if I dont want to give them the info they asked for. This sounds dodgier than a Nigerian prince asking me for my details.

I have just emailed the uk site so I will see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

image_zps9eec4ca1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭WaldeT

I actually got similar message from Fire-support in the UK when I placed order with them back in July.

It was either supply details or use paypal with them as well.

After speaking to fire-support about it's a validation they do on your first order with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

WaldeT wrote: »
    I actually got similar message from Fire-support in the UK when I placed order with them back in July.

It was either supply details or use paypal with them as well.

After speaking to fire-support about it's a validation they do on your first order with them.

I had to do something similar with Fire-Support back in 2007; I just thought at the time it was due to the price on the order (four digits).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

if it is a phisihing attempt then if you supply it to them thats pretty much everything they need for identity theft plus a copy of the signature on the back of teh card. do they offer an option to use paypal coz i wouldnt be too happy giving all that info to people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't send them anything, this is what paypal is for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

The correct reply to an email like that is "You're out of your mind if you think I'm putting personal info like that in an email. Go away and think about it. You can either take PayPal, or I'll take my order elsewhere".

TYVM and have a nice day.

PS: PayPal have their faults, but they are both very serious about and very good with this security stuff.
    PPS: It was possible to send info like that by fax with reasonable security 15 or 20 years ago. Not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

OzCam wrote: »
    The correct reply to an email like that is "You're out of your mind if you think I'm putting personal info like that in an email. Go away and think about it. You can either take PayPal, or I'll take my order elsewhere".

TYVM and have a nice day.

PS: PayPal have their faults, but they are both very serious about and very good with this security stuff.
    PPS: It was possible to send info like that by fax with reasonable security 15 or 20 years ago. Not any more.

Come to think of it, I faxed my details over to Fire-Support; was their suggestion to fax it given the amount being spent and they informed me over the phone there and then that as soon as it was sorted they destroyed the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

OzCam wrote: »

Or perhaps not... This just came in on twitter:
    https://twitter.com/genobkk/status/512133301671182336

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

If i sell an item on our website today, receive the money to our bank account, send it by courier to the customer and have it signed for, you might think that transaction is closed from our point of view.
    Unfortunately this isn't always the case.If a stolen credit card was used for this then the person who owns the card can subsequently make a claim against the bank for the return of the funds.He will without fail receive the money back to his account.
    Who's the one who loses out on this transaction.....the bank? the credit card company?the guy who lost or had his credit card stolen?.....nope that would be us. The credit card company will take the full amount back from our account even though we have correctly handled all elements of the sale.
    This can make you very wary of all Website transactions as we've had this done quite a few times over the years.
    I'm not surprised some retailers take the view of wanting to see some more proof before dispatching the goods on an order.
    In a post above Lemming says he was asked for more info on a LARGE ORDER.This is is pretty much what we would do.I'd never let a €500 plus order leave here without trying to make contact with the buyer and ask a few questions.
    So while, yes be careful of who is asking these questions, it's more common than you think.

Advertisement