Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

James Corden is the new presenter of The Late Late Show

• 08-09-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

No, Ryan Tubridy isn't going anywhere.

James Corden will replace Craig Ferguson on the late night CBS Show next year. It's a surprise choice, he wouldn't have a high profile in America but then Craig Ferguson wasn't well known when he got the gig.

I like Corden, I think he might do well.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/08/james-corden-confirmed-cbs-late-night-talk-show
    Corden, who will take over the show next year, and was tipped for the job last month, said: “I can’t describe how thrilled and honoured I am to be taking over from the brilliant Craig Ferguson.

“To be asked to host such a prestigious show on America’s number one network is hugely exciting. I can’t wait to get started, and will do my very best to make a show America will enjoy.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

hello guest i love you why are you so brilliant can we hang out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Did a double take there Skid!!.....:D:D:D

Good luck to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Ferguson quit as he thought he had a shot at Letterman's spot. He's a new game show coming on stream over there.
    They took to his accent fair enough so Corden should do okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He doesn't have 1% of the charm that Ferguson has.

For Reals wrote: »
    Ferguson quit as he thought he had a shot at Letterman's spot. He's a new game show coming on stream over there.
    They took to his accent fair enough so Corden should do okay.
    um didn't ferguson get let go

• Advertisement

um didn't ferguson get let go

He didn't renew his contract after he was promised the Letterman gig and it was given to someone else.

He gets a $5m pay off for not getting it the Letterman gig. Nice liitle add-on in his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Craig is a genius, charismatic and is very self effacing, and will help you become good with women. The man has free flowing conversations and it feels like anything could happen genuinely. I actually get giddy watching it. I find myself leaning in.

James Corden is none of those things

He'll talk to a z-list immigrant actress and all thoughts of the movie/stardom/pedestalising disappear and they're human again. Its an incredible gift/skill to practically wing most of it.
    Craig is easily the best talk show host I've ever see, and that title feels like a deservice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

AH FER FUPP SAKE :(:(:(

What am I going to do with all these balloons and party hats that I bought..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Here's my best mate David Beckham!

Awful Billy Barry B@stard.

actually reminded that find difficult to watch craig ferguson after he kept asking nearly every guest whether they go to therapy, i know its very common but you could see some peopel were uncomfortable saying yes or no, and tries to continunes to bring it up constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I really really cant stand corden

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gutted to see Ferguson step down.. by far, the wittiest chat show host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have never seen the show but not a fan of Corden - something very self righteous about him. Can't imagine him bonding well with guests unless they are one of his cool Brit gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Skid X wrote: »
    he wouldn't have a high profile in America but then Craig Ferguson wasn't well known when he got the gig.

He would have at least had some face recognition as Drew Carey's boss though, no?

Corden seems totally left field.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I was pleasantly surprised to see Craig Ferguson in an old Christmas special of One Foot in the Grave recently (One Foot in the Algarve).

I always thought TV3, if they had any sense at all, should have bought the rights to that, and cheekily aired it at 9:30 on Friday nights. He's brilliant on the Late Late Show. He's had some extremely dark times (alcohol, depression, etc), and has a natural (light hearted) empathy with his guests. He has a brilliant rapport with fellow Glaswegian alcoholic Billy Connolly. He has a fantastic ability to 'make the most' of socially awkward moments during interviews, acknowledging them and then mining them for laughs. For better or for worse, Corden will take the show in a very different direction.

I'm not a huge fan of Corden - always found him very 'laddish' - but he seems to have cleaned up his act and developed a bit of self-awareness over the last few years. And he's an excellent actor. He was very good in the film adaptation of Alan Bennett's The History Boys, and also Mike Leigh's All or Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RayM wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised to see Craig Ferguson in an old Christmas special of One Foot in the Grave recently (One Foot in the Algarve).

I always thought TV3, if they had any sense at all, should have bought the rights to that, and cheekily aired it at 9:30 on Friday nights. He's brilliant on the Late Late Show. He's had some extremely dark times (alcohol, depression, etc), and has a natural (light hearted) empathy with his guests. He has a brilliant rapport with fellow Glaswegian alcoholic Billy Connolly. He has a fantastic ability to 'make the most' of socially awkward moments during interviews, acknowledging them and then mining them for laughs. For better or for worse, Corden will take the show in a very different direction.

I'm not a huge fan of Corden - always found him very 'laddish' - but he seems to have cleaned up his act and developed a bit of self-awareness over the last few years. And he's an excellent actor. He was very good in the film adaptation of Alan Bennett's The History Boys, and also Mike Leigh's All or Nothing.

I think of Craig as "Stephen Fry Lite". He's just without the posh accent really! He's very intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He would have at least had some face recognition as Drew Carey's boss though, no?

Corden seems totally left field.

Fair point. James Corden did win a Tony Award on Broadway a few years which might have made him known to some (if not the general public)

The CBS Chairman seems to like him
    “He is the ultimate multi-hyphenate – a writer, creator and performer who is loved and respected in every medium he touches, including theater, comedy, music, film and television. James is already a big star in the UK and he’s wowed American audiences on Broadway; we’re very excited to introduce his considerable and very unique talents to our network television audience on a daily basis.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/08/official-james-corden-replacing-craig-ferguson-as-late-late-show-host/

It's a surprising choice but I guess CBS have done screen tests and tested him with audiences. British 'talent' has done well in the US in recent years so maybe Corden was in the right place at the right time. He might crash and burn, but in a way its nice to see Network Television taking a gamble like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like James Corden. He's very different to Craig Ferguson though. It will be interesting to see how the audience reacts to Corden.

Letterman is not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

That's thoroughly classless by Letterman.

Regis didn't know what to say.

It's Letterman company that makes The late late show as well.

So the boss is publicly scolding Cordon that not a good way to start a new high profile job.

what we're we watching there, i noticed that had people presenting the show on craigs old set, is this the replacement while they build a new set?

isn't there going to be a (summer) break between letterman finishing and colbert starting ? May 20th - 8th September

is he possibly mocking himself and Colbert?

typical Letterman humour that I think you are all taking it up the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Major lack of class there from Letterman.

James Corden wouldn't be my cup of tea but I'd love to see him stick it to that pr!ck the way he did Patrick Stewart.

btw here's James Cordan trying to explain the the Late Late show gig to his dad http://theinterrobang.com/letterman-gets-know-james-cordon-new-host-late-late-show/

i still don't know the answer to his dads questions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Major lack of class there from Letterman.

James Corden wouldn't be my cup of tea but I'd love to see him stick it to that pr!ck the way he did Patrick Stewart.

I didn't know what you were referencing so I youtubed it.

Bloody hell. I've never seen Patrick Stewart go off on somebody like that. Ever. And he's been around a long time. There had to have been more to that incident backstage before they came out. I hear that afterwards Stewart blamed it on the drink but I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Corden is a jumped up, unfunny shíthead so I'm not surprised people would go off on him. Complete waste of space if you ask me. He's the chalk to Craig Ferguson's cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Kirby wrote: »
    Bloody hell. I've never seen Patrick Stewart go off on somebody like that. Ever. And he's been around a long time. There had to have been more to that incident backstage before they came out. I hear that afterwards Stewart blamed it on the drink but I'm not so sure.

It was a strange incident alright, for what it's worth they made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Are you there, Charlie Bear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well, what did we think of Corden's first episode? I'm a fan but he definitely seemed a little out of his depth. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to Craig's Late Late Show that it felt a little too safe and saccharine - plus having Mila and Tom walking through the audience shaking hands felt a little weird. And as for the "Gary Barlow-esque" ballad at the end... very strange!

Still, reaction in the US seems largely quite positive.. and I reckon it could hit it's stride in time.

Don't want to be too harsh after only the one episode.

Advertisement