Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know your elves #3 - Loughc

Options
  • 12-09-2014 7:24am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday one and all!!

It's my turn to step up to the spotlight so bring on all your questions! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

LED Lights or Vintage themed Lights? (as in shades)

The shops have no Turkey & Ham this year (not really, don't panic ;) ), what would be your alternative?

How many cards do you send out?

Do you go visiting on Christmas Day or stay put?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What is your favourite Christmas-themed chocolate/sweets?

If you could only have one thing for Christmas dinner what would it be? (As in you can only have turkey or stuffing or whatever.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

washiskin wrote: »
    LED Lights or Vintage themed Lights? (as in shades)

LED Lights, my Mam used to have the old school sets of the thick bulbs, you know the ones that if shattered would leave shardes of glass everywhere, very festive haha, and she had the shaded ones. When I got my first set of LED lights I wasn't gone on them at all until I realised by changing the presets on them you can make them dance, I was won over and they have a warm glow about them as well.

Perfect for the winter nights in.
    The shops have no Turkey & Ham this year (not really, don't panic ;) ), what would be your alternative?

Chicken stuffing and Gravy with the usual veg and trimmings. I love chicken and I have it in my diet more than I should really haha so it could easily replace Turkey & Ham if it needed to.

How many cards do you send out?

None! I haven't sent a Christmas card in YEARS! :-o

WMyself and my girlfriend moved into our first house last year and we got our first lot of Christmas cards. We hand delivered ours in response!

Do you go visiting on Christmas Day or stay put?

When I was younger the tradition was we'd visit our Aunt's house in the morning, we have an army of nieces and nephews now, so the recent tradition was they'd call in to my parents house, starting from 10am right up to dinner time! House would be full but great fun! Kids MAKE Christmas!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What is your favourite Christmas-themed chocolate/sweets?

Do I have to pick only one? :eek:

If not, it goes, Snowballs, Snowbites and Quality Street. I don't think there is one Quality street sweet I don't like! Roses can go to hell since they reintroduced the coffee sweets haha!

If you could only have one thing for Christmas dinner what would it be? (As in you can only have turkey or stuffing or whatever)

Though one about 4 things popped to mind right away haha, I'll have to go with Moist Turkey! Cooked perfectly it's delish!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

We're slowly progressing through that list! :pac:

If you had to describe what Christmas means to you to someone who never experienced it before what would you say?

What type of tree do you prefer? Artificial or real?

Are you the sort to have a minimalist tree with just baubles or are you the sort to have everything and anything on it. Tinsel, baubles, bead things, lights etc etc.

Have you a favourite Christmas decorations, if so why is it your favourite?

Hope I didn't bombard you with questions Lough! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Have you all your christmas presents yet?
    What's your favorite christmas song & movie?
    Any nice christmas eve traditions?

We're slowly progressing through that list! :pac:

If you had to describe what Christmas means to you to someone who never experienced it before what would you say?

I would say its the most peaceful, joyful time of year, on Christmas day itself there's moments where you feel time has stopped outside and you're inside surrounded by loved ones and everyone is full of happiness and joy. I truly love the time of year and it still gives me the same magical feeling it always did.
    What type of tree do you prefer? Artificial or real?
    Artificial, I love the smell of real ones but I couldn't be dealing with the shedding and dying part of a real tree haha!
    Are you the sort to have a minimalist tree with just baubles or are you the sort to have everything and anything on it. Tinsel, baubles, bead things, lights etc etc.
    Years ago I was an everything kind of person, throw everything on the tree even that hideous fake snow, haha. Now as I'm getting older I'm finding less is more and the more simple it looks the more beautiful it can look.
    Have you a favourite Christmas decorations, if so why is it your favourite?
    My favourite is a Newbridge Christmas Ornament we have for our tree, myself and my gf got it for our first year together in our Apt at the time. We've added to it since and will hope to keep adding over the years to come! :)

delw wrote: »
    Have you all your christmas presents yet?

All? I don't even have one! I tend to leave the shopping until very late in the season, hopefully not this year though haha!
    What's your favorite christmas song & movie?
    Favorite song, Merry Xmas Everyone - Slade (& Noel Gallagher Version) Yes it's Cheesy, but it's a great song and ALWAYS lifts my spirits when I hear it :)

Favourite film - Tie between Scrooged & The Muppets Christmas Carol, both classics and I own both on DVD! :)
    Any nice christmas eve traditions?
    When we were younger we used to go to Christmas eve mass, as we got older mass turned into Christmas eve drinks, which I keep going today. It's great to meet up with old friends you've been too busy most of the year and everyone is in great form and full of life and happiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

What was your best Christmas ever? And Why?
    When do you put up the tree?
    Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? :O
    Angel or Star on top of your tree?
    What are your plans for Christmas this year?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Do you have a favourite Christmas TV Ad?
    Do you have a set date each year the Christmas decorations come out?

• Advertisement

IrishGurll wrote: »
    What was your best Christmas ever? And Why?

My best Christmas was prob 2 years ago, my girlfriend drove from Dublin to Tipp to be with me and my family and she got me an amazing present as well. It was so nice to have everyone I love under the one roof :)

When do you put up the tree?

Usually around the 25th of November. Last two years in a row, I've taken the Friday of the Toy Show off and put it up then and got loads of treats in haha.
    Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? :O

No, never! If someone has gone to the effort to get me a present, I will always try to see the best in it, get use of it :)
    Angel or Star on top of your tree?

It was an Angel when I was growing up, but it's a Star now. Think it'll always be a star for me, looks more festive.
    What are your plans for Christmas this year?
    :)

Well the current plan is I'm going to have Christmas up here in Dublin for the first year ever,breaking all traditions, but my gf has made the effort to come to Tipp for the last two Christmases in a row so I owe her one.

Nothing against her family at all, I love them and get on great with them but I am very relucant to spend Christmas up here, they don't make a big deal of Christmas, her Da doesn't like Christmas dinners, her brother only has mash, gravy and turkey, and her Ma doesn't like cooking. And as well it's only the 4 of them, no nieces & nephews.

Back in Tipp Christmas is a big deal to us, dinner is amazing and all the nieces and nephews call down to my Mam's to show off their loot haha, I'd prob miss seeing the kids the most and my Mam hasn't been well this year, but I made a promise to return the favour of spending Christmas uphere.

SarahLil wrote: »
    Do you have a favourite Christmas TV Ad?

The classic Penneys, Kelloggs and Coca-Cola Budwiser ads are my favourite.

The more recent Gunniess Ad is beautiful and last year's Apple one that was post here a few weeks ago is brilliant, even if it gave me a massive lump in my throat haha!
    Do you have a set date each year the Christmas decorations come out?

I try to aim for the 25th of November, so I get a full month with the decorations up before Christmas comes around, they stay up until the 6th of Jan.

Do you have any jobs associated with making the Christmas Dinner?

Christmas Pud fan or not?

Do you have any jobs associated with making the Christmas Dinner?

Previously no, but I'm attending a Christmas cookery course this year so I'm hoping on cooking something wither be a light appettizer or a dessert.
    Christmas Pud fan or not?
    Def not a fan of Christmas puddins or cakes. The dry fruit creeps me out haha!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What would your ideal Christmas dinner be, if there were no constraints in terms of time, cooking ability, cost etc?

Are there any bits of the 'traditional' Christmas dinner that you would dump? E.g. brussel sprouts

Do you have any Christmas jumpers, and if so what do they look like?

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad?

What drew you to the Christmas forum originally, and what made you keep posting?

Scarinae wrote: »
    What would your ideal Christmas dinner be, if there were no constraints in terms of time, cooking ability, cost etc?

Starter would be a bowl of thick homemade Winter Vegetable Soup.

Main - Use Tradition Christmas, with honey glazed Ham and Free Range Turkey with fresh stuffing.

Dessert - Triffle with strawberry jelly. Or just Ice Cream, big Ice Cream fan here haha.
    Are there any bits of the 'traditional' Christmas dinner that you would dump? E.g. brussel sprouts

A couple of years ago I would have easily casted out Brussel Sprouts but in the last few years I've learned to love them and find them very Christmassy as I only tend to eat them in December haha! So no, I wouldn't cast anything out.

Do you have any Christmas jumpers, and if so what do they look like?

I have two Christmas jumpers and one Christmas Shirt,

214xyys.jpg

2vnq70w.jpg

xqbdj8.jpg
    Would you ever spend Christmas abroad?

Nope, never, no way! Home is where the heart is and Christmas is all about the heart! :)
    What drew you to the Christmas forum originally, and what made you keep posting?

I think I originally searched for Christmas Parties idea and I stumbled across the then at the time seasonal Christmas Forum and I was hooked. It was so nice to see I wasn't the only one crazy about Christmas and everyone had the same thoughts and feelings for me as I did. I keep posting purely down to the people, it is the friendliest, nicest forum not only on boards but on the web! Everyone is so welcoming and friendly it's just like having a natter amongst friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

give us a run down of your typical christmas? (Im talking Eve to Stephens day!):)

when is christmas over in your home?:(

snowgal wrote: »
    give us a run down of your typical christmas? (Im talking Eve to Stephens day!):)

Traditionally, Christmas Eve starts with a hangover as for the past 6 years we've done the 12 pubs of Christmas on the 23rd of December.

Then its up town for any last bits and coleslaw for the Stephen's Day sambos!

The around 3 or 4 it's off up to the local pub to meet with friends for some Christmas Eve drinks and sing song. Leave around 9. Home for a ham sambo or two and maybe some sweets too, while watching whatever is on the telly. The off to bed for the big day.

Then it's up at 9/9.30am for Christmas Day, exchange presents and the first brother calls in with his family in tow. This continues until 2, when myself, my sister, her husband and two kids and my mam and Dad sit down for dinner.

After dinner is the throw yourself on the couch and struggle to breathe.

Then is tv for the night and munching on selection boxes and sweets and play with whatever new gadgets we get haha. And of course the obligatory sambo at around 7 or 8 that night with crisps!

Stephens Day in my Mam's is like the opening scene from Saving Private Ryans. She cooks a Christmas Dinner for all of us, all the brothers, sister in laws and grandkids. It's a hussle and bussle of toys, tears and laughs and you wouldn't have it any other way. The women start on the wine while the lads have two tvs going, one with racing and one with the football on.

The kids are busy playing with their toys and showing off what they got haha.
    when is christmas over in your home?:(

When ever the decorations come down, last year due to work that was the 5th of January. I hate taking them down, lump in the throat moment!

Lockie, can I come to yours this Christmas? :D:D:D:D ;)

Lockie, can I come to yours this Christmas? :D:D:D:D ;)

Of course! The more the merrier haha! :)

• Advertisement

So, you have a fab house (I'm sure you do, but indulge me;)) and it's coming up to Christmas; do you go all Griswold on it or tasteful subtlety ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Do you have a favourite Christmas book or story?

If you could have one present, no logic or money limit, what would it be?

So, you have a fab house (I'm sure you do, but indulge me;)) and it's coming up to Christmas; do you go all Griswold on it or tasteful subtlety ?

Tasteful subtlety for the moment, I moved into my house last year so there's lots of lights but not much in terms of decorations inside but I am planning on adding to it every year! :D

Do you have a favourite Christmas book or story?

If you could have one present, no logic or money limit, what would it be?

My favorite book is A Christmas Carol, everytime I read it I feel so Christmassy after it, any recommendations for any other Christmas books/stories I may be missing out on?

One present, a paid trip to Hawaii haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Loughc wrote: »
    My favorite book is A Christmas Carol, everytime I read it I feel so Christmassy after it, any recommendations for any other Christmas books/stories I may be missing out on?

Well this might be off topic but I read a book called "Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher every year... It's slightly chick lit, so do with that what you will... ;)

So did you go to BTs? :)

So did you go to BTs? :)

I didn't! I got caught in work a bit late, so when I finished I went straight home! Will need to get in sooner rather than later haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Skipping Christmas aka Christmas with the Kranks is a great book to read around Christmas, it's hilarious!!

IrishGurll wrote: »
    Skipping Christmas aka Christmas with the Kranks is a great book to read around Christmas, it's hilarious!!

The film version of that is good, christmas with the kranks!

Thanks to everyone for their questions! Can you believe we're on week 4 now already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Loughc wrote: »
    My best Christmas was prob 2 years ago, my girlfriend drove from Dublin to Tipp to be with me and my family and she got me an amazing present as well. It was so nice to have everyone I love under the one roof :)

:D That was my best Christmas too! It was worth every second of the drive!

Advertisement