Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAMPUS ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Does anybody know if you can request a room change from the one you were assigned to before the term starts? provided you;ve a place on campus obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Barster wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you can request a room change from the one you were assigned to before the term starts? provided you;ve a place on campus obviously.

You can *try*, though as at this stage I'd say practically every room on-campus has been filled/assigned, you might find it tough to get a swap.

The best thing to do would be contact the residence/accommodation office first thing in the morning as afaik they deal with room allocations.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

You can *try*, though as at this stage I'd say practically every room on-campus has been filled/assigned, you might find it tough to get a swap.

The best thing to do would be contact the residence/accommodation office first thing in the morning as afaik they deal with room allocations.

:cool:

Yeah I'm kinda assuming that each room has been filled , I've been assigned a room number and place so I was thinking(hoping) that it would be more of a straight swap sort of thing considering very little students will have moved in already?

Have you heard of anybody swapping room before?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

You'll find its mostly final years or those who got places last minute who get mixed apartments.

I'm a first year got the place through the first lottery draw..
    My apartment in Riordan is mixed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

blackkeyes wrote: »
    Whoo! I'm in Hargadon. Sounds like something from Harry Potter!

This is where I spent most of my undergrad - great times! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

miissjuly wrote: »
    I'm a first year got the place through the first lottery draw..
    My apartment in Riordan is mixed :confused:

If you read up we discussed that! Looks like things might have changed in the last year.
    Do you guys know who you live with already this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

justback83 wrote: »
    This is where I spent most of my undergrad - great times! :(

Nice place? :)
    It seems like Hargadon is full of girls, going by the facebook freshers page. is that usually the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

blackkeyes wrote: »
    Nice place? :)
    It seems like Hargadon is full of girls, going by the facebook freshers page. is that usually the case?

Well...my first year there was 13 years ago...it was equally mixed then. I hope they've done them up a bit since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

justback83 wrote: »
    Well...my first year there was 13 years ago...it was equally mixed then. I hope they've done them up a bit since then!

ohh. :D Sounds like it could be a little rough so.. Ah well, all in the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

If you read up we discussed that! Looks like things might have changed in the last year.
    Do you guys know who you live with already this year?

I asked on Facebook that's how I know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Nurgle_94

If the apartment is just girls or just boys it means someone is under 18 or was under 18 when they moved in. They don't put someone under 18 into a mixed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hey guys, does campus accommodation get offered out again for the second semester? I'm currently in digs and it's pretty crap to be honest. The landlords are lovely people but I'm finding it tough as I only have one housemate and he's really quiet and doesn't go out.

College is also a half-hour walk which is a pain. I'm thinking of bringing a bike up but I've never cycled in a town before so wouldn't be very confident in traffic.

Before people pop up with the usual arguments why I should stay where I am, I haven't signed a lease or contract of any sort with my landlords so I would be free to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

thelad95 wrote: »
    Hey guys, does campus accommodation get offered out again for the second semester? I'm currently in digs and it's pretty crap to be honest. The landlords are lovely people but I'm finding it tough as I only have one housemate and he's really quiet and doesn't go out.

College is also a half-hour walk which is a pain. I'm thinking of bringing a bike up but I've never cycled in a town before so wouldn't be very confident in traffic.

Before people pop up with the usual arguments why I should stay where I am, I haven't signed a lease or contract of any sort with my landlords so I would be free to leave.

I assume that a few places go back on offer from dropouts and evictions. Worth talking to someone about it anyways. Could be worse though I know people paying for digs and still having to commute from leixlip kilcock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 claireless

Hi all, I'm considering doing Science Ed. in Maynooth starting in September 2015. If any has any info, timetables, hours a week, if its tough, opinions of the course that would be great :) Regarding accommodation on campus, where is the best place to live, taking into account staying close to my lectures and night life?

Thank you,
    Claire

claireless wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm considering doing Science Ed. in Maynooth starting in September 2015. If any has any info, timetables, hours a week, if its tough, opinions of the course that would be great :) Regarding accommodation on campus, where is the best place to live, taking into account staying close to my lectures and night life?

Thank you,
    Claire

All the campus accommodation is pretty much located in the same place. To be honest you're lucky enough if you get campus acccommodation so you can't be too picky! I think River are the nicest myself, Rye Hall isn't meant to be fantastic. At most no matter where you are lectures will never be more than a 10-minute walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cmufc

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put Maynooth as my first choice for the CAO. I was just wondering, what is the accommodation like? I'll prob stay in the river apartments, I saw them on the open day and they seemed pretty nice. What is the internet like? Would it be grand for watching vids on YouTube and stuff like that?
    Also just wanted to know is it lads in one apartment girls in another? Are they mixed or not? Cause I heard someone saying there not mixed but wasn't sure.
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi Cmufc,

I've moved your post to the Campus Accommodation thread. Most of your questions should be answered here.

XxMCRxBabyxX

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Cmufc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to put Maynooth as my first choice for the CAO. I was just wondering, what is the accommodation like? I'll prob stay in the river apartments, I saw them on the open day and they seemed pretty nice. What is the internet like? Would it be grand for watching vids on YouTube and stuff like that?
    Also just wanted to know is it lads in one apartment girls in another? Are they mixed or not? Cause I heard someone saying there not mixed but wasn't sure.
    Thanks in advance.

River apartments are lovely, the Internet is decent enough, although my friends apartment is on the very edge of the college so the connection can be dodgy there. As far as I know you can choose whether you want it mixed or single sex

I'm going to book campus for next year but what is the 'best'? River single is probably a bit out of my price range but what are the Rye Hall shared rooms like? Is there a reason why they are so cheap (€60 a week)? Will probably put Rye Hall single as my first preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I'm going to book campus for next year but what is the 'best'? River single is probably a bit out of my price range but what are the Rye Hall shared rooms like? Is there a reason why they are so cheap (€60 a week)? Will probably put Rye Hall single as my first preference.

Tbh I've been in River shared, River single, Rye single and Village single and I've found them all to be perfectly grand. I was sharing with someone I knew in River sharing, so it might be different being put in with someone you don't know.

The Rye Hall shared rooms basically have a bunk bed as the sleeping arrangement, but one wardrobe, one desk and one chair which depending on how much stuff you have might be a pain to divide in two. That being said a few storage boxes for under the bunk bed and a little compromise with everything else and you'd be grand. I think some of the Rye bunk bedrooms have their own bathroom, but this isn't guaranteed.

River shared rooms are twin rooms. Basically you've 2 regular beds (normally with under bed storage but this varies), 2 wardrobes, 2 desks.. basically 2 of everything. They all have an ensuite bathroom afaik. The room tends to be bigger than Rye, someone of the River twin rooms seem so big I don't know why they didn't just cut them in 2 and have 2 single rooms.

I hope this clarifies things a bit, though to me the difference between Rye single and Village single is minimal really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 fosterr48

Hey, I have a quick question concerning applying for campus accommodation. I am a LC student planning to go to NUI Maynooth, just wondering if I have to have the deposit money ready when I apply?

The website states that applications will open on May 5th, I just want to know if I have to have the deposit ready on that date? Do I have to pay any money during the application process or do I just have to fill in my details?

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 k_Rattigan

Hey,
    As far as im aware, You just need to fill in your details on the application, no money is required at that early stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

fosterr48 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a quick question concerning applying for campus accommodation. I am a LC student planning to go to NUI Maynooth, just wondering if I have to have the deposit money ready when I apply?

The website states that applications will open on May 5th, I just want to know if I have to have the deposit ready on that date? Do I have to pay any money during the application process or do I just have to fill in my details?

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter! :)

Hey applying for campus accomodation myself the first half of the deposit is due to be paid on the 13th may if you get offered your room. Then the second half of the deposit is paid in August along with first semester rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2 giraffffee

Just wondering is anyone staying in Village in Hargadon 1 next year in the quiet zone? Want to see can I find my room mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lauren!

just got my accommodation sorted for campus in no maynooth, anyone else in Village - mullin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lawlessaine

Anyone get River - Killary next year? or could tell me what it's like.. :)

River and Village are lovely the only problem is the extremely thin walls. So you can hear everything that goes on throughout the building. And when I say everything I mean everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lawlessaine

River and Village are lovely the only problem is the extremely thin walls. So you can hear everything that goes on throughout the building. And when I say everything I mean everything!

Haha, I've got a good pair of headphones 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

Anyone get River - Killary next year? or could tell me what it's like.. :)

I got river to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

is rye hall all postgrads? Surprised they do rooms in the postgrad accomodation.

Advertisement