Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Skating

• 29-05-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and trucks--and outdoor wheels--
    Of sidewalks--and swings--
    And why (for a change) Ireland's boiling hot--
    And whether Fresh Meat have wings."

Right lads. The weathers starting to pick up (touch wood). Let's talk outdoor skating. :cool:

Where's good? What wheels are good and where can we find a skate friendly pub crawl trail? I say Derby Boards Beers long over due!! :D

Currently scouting the place on my Road Hogs 62mm/78A; they're pretty lovely but I hear 70mm s are even nicer for OD. Does anyone know if my R3s will take a 70mm wheel? If they will Krypto Routes are getting pretty awesome reviews online...

As for routes the park in Booterstown/Blackrock looks pretty damn good...I am very tempted. It's also super well lit for late night skating...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

In limerick there's the old dell industrial estate...then on to the hiway bar. Seats outside and music is loud. I think I got that right? In cork there's a not so long skate down mardyke but you can skate to a small skate park and then back which makes it a reasonably good skate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

Hi All, new here :).

I just tried skating for the first time yesterday and I would like to get skating outdoors to get some practice in before Freshmeat starts but I think I've got the wrong wheels on my skates. I've currently Atom DNA on the recommendation of the skate shop. I'm told these are unusable outdoors. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm heavy (90kg) and tall (5'10").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Hi All, new here :).

I just tried skating for the first time yesterday and I would like to get skating outdoors to get some practice in before Freshmeat starts but I think I've got the wrong wheels on my skates. I've currently Atom DNA on the recommendation of the skate shop. I'm told these are unusable outdoors. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm heavy (90kg) and tall (5'10").

Welcome to the forum!
    I recently picked these up for a team mate from wreckless.ie, but am sure gosk8 and good skate shops will stock these or similar... These were recommended to my team mate as outdoor wheels, and they aren't too expensive either :)

http://www.wreckless.ie/Roller-Derby-Wheels-Riedell-Radar-Zen-Wheel-Red-2086/

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

MsStroggatrix, the diameter of the DNA wheels aren't bad for outdoors but the durometer is a little too hard (88A) though not totally unusable for outdoors.

The ones MissBehave suggested look good though, especially for the price.

In other news!! DLR Events are organising Movies in Marlay Park again this year! Would anyone like to meet up for a skate in the afternoon (weather permitting) and to stay for picnic and movie afterwards?

Also louloumc89, would love to visit other cities for outdoors - must try and get the derby social scene up and running! :D

Thanks for the responses :).

I had a try at the little skate park in near Galway Catherdral late evening on Saturday as it is fairly flat. Apart from looking like a total eejit with my newbie skating it seemed alight. I understand DNA wheels are OK certain outdoor surfaces like running tracks or level patio. I'm slightly annoyed because when I brought my kit last week I specifically asked for wheels that were good both indoor and outdoor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I had a try at the little skate park in near Galway Catherdral late evening on Saturday as it is fairly flat. Apart from looking like a total eejit with my newbie skating it seemed alight. I understand DNA wheels are OK certain outdoor surfaces like running tracks or level patio. I'm slightly annoyed because when I brought my kit last week I specifically asked for wheels that were good both indoor and outdoor.

depending on the surfaces you're skating on - it's pretty difficult to get a wheel that will be good at both.

If you're indoors, skating on something similar to basketball court (what I'm familiar with as it's what we skate on in Dublin a lot) - you'll need anywhere from 88a - 95as (depending on the exact floor and your body type).
    If you're outdoors in a park or on streets- you're looking for something in the 78a-80a territory. If it's somewhere completely smooth - like running tracks, where there's very little cracks/pebbles/etc then you'll probably get away with something harder, but most of us don't get to skate on that kind of surface outside very often :(

Also Roller Derby skates have the *worst* set up for outdoors so it's going to be more difficult for us anyway. The plates we have on our boots throw our weight too far forward to deal with any disruptions to the surface and makes us liable to fall.

Re: Movies in Marlay Park - they're looking for suggestions :eek: let's all suggest Whip It and promote the Derbz in Ire!
    Want to see your favourite movie on the giant screen at Outdoor Movies in the Park? Email us your suggestion now info@dlrevents.ie.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't really have anywhere indoors I can practice, would it be better to get a set of speed skates for outdoors then? I've lots of places I can go outdoors, but there isn't really anywhere indoors that you can just go skate in around Galway. I just wanted to get some practice skating in a straight line as I'm a beginner at this.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't really have anywhere indoors I can practice, would it be better to get a set of speed skates for outdoors then? I've lots of places I can go outdoors, but there isn't really anywhere indoors that you can just go skate in around Galway. I just wanted to get some practice skating in a straight line as I'm a beginner at this.

If you're a beginner it won't make a huge difference. Stick with the skates you have now, just be aware if you're pitching forwards a lot not to get frustrated, it is your skates, and don't expect to be going over rough ground or dramatic changes in surface quality.

Just keep these things in mind when skating outdoors (as opposed to on track):

* Try keep your weight in your heels (try pointing your toes to the sky in your skates if you're finding it difficult)
    * Keep one foot slightly in front of the other

Even in my derby skates, when I got these down, in outdoor wheels, I was flying it. I love skating outdoors though so I might start looking at getting an outdoor set up separate from my derby gear but I wouldn't worry about that until you're more experienced anyway. :D

*Bumping this due to Indian summer*

Guys, I'm skating in Blackrock park this week (I work in Sandyford so it's convienient - so if anyone wants to meet up let me know! (You can try my wheels/skates if you like; I have Atom Road Hogs 78a)

Otherwise I made a map last year to make a list of places that are good for skating that I totally forgot about until now. If you want to take a look it's here: http://goo.gl/maps/hxyhj

I apologise for it being so Dublin centric but that's where I live. If anyone would like to contribute, I'm sorry I need to add you specifically using your email address (shakes fist at Google) but please PM me your email and I'll be more than happy to add you (especially if you're outside of Dublin ;) )

Enjoy the weather ladies/gents!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

*Bumping this due to Indian summer*

Guys, I'm skating in Blackrock park this week (I work in Sandyford so it's convienient - so if anyone wants to meet up let me know! (You can try my wheels/skates if you like; I have Atom Road Hogs 78a)

Otherwise I made a map last year to make a list of places that are good for skating that I totally forgot about until now. If you want to take a look it's here: http://goo.gl/maps/hxyhj

I apologise for it being so Dublin centric but that's where I live. If anyone would like to contribute, I'm sorry I need to add you specifically using your email address (shakes fist at Google) but please PM me your email and I'll be more than happy to add you (especially if you're outside of Dublin ;) )

Enjoy the weather ladies/gents!

I think I need road hogs... but wow, they are pricey, aren't they??
    Will you bring one of them to training on monday so I can feel it? :D

(yes, I know I am weird!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

outdoor ice skating in dundrum brilliant

I think I need road hogs... but wow, they are pricey, aren't they??
    Will you bring one of them to training on monday so I can feel it? :D

(yes, I know I am weird!)

Haha! Yes, of course I will. I know your schedule is pretty jam packed but maybe we can have a chat on Monday about meeting up so you can borrow my wheels for a bit and get a feel of them before you decide.

I'm thinking of getting a set of Kryptos I was on about before. If I do I'll give you a heads up & if you haven't gotten your own you can bum my road hogs whenevs :)

Update: went for a jaunt in Craysfort Park today (Blackrock). Don't know if it was me or if the park is genuinely horrendous but it totally kicked my rear!!

It was a real confidence deflator after I did so well yesterday in the madness of Blackrock park. Will have to try again soon see if I can do better next time :/

Gorgeous park though.

I think some DRD peeps will be going to St. Anne's tomorrow - which boasts the smoothest trails in Dublin so I'm told, for around 6. Sadly can't make it this time alas. :(

Advertisement