Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Shopping

• 30-08-2014 10:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

So I have 4 small children and 3 have January birthdays so Christmas shopping starts in the August sales!!

I find that my money goes way further and a lot of places hike their prices nearer to christmas.

I have the Santa presents for #2 and #3,#4 is only going to be 8 months so gets a present just because she needs to for the older siblings sake:)

I have also organised their present and christmas clothes from my mother.

Please tell me I am not the only one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Moonbeam wrote: »
    So I have 4 small children and 3 have January birthdays so Christmas shopping starts in the August sales!!

I find that my money goes way further and a lot of places hike their prices nearer to christmas.

I have the Santa presents for #2 and #3,#4 is only going to be 8 months so gets a present just because she needs to for the older siblings sake:)

is baby number 5 on the Christmas list :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no, no more ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

no, no more ever :)
    I had 3 in 3 years myself but never say never :D god knows its difficult enough doing any form of shopping without the hassle of Christmas on top of it,just open the wallet/purse and turn it upside down :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

haha my eldest is only 5 so it has not got to that stage yet..I imagine back to school as way worse then christmas.

I do love both though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I've started too :) only 2 pressies in so far. I'm waiting for the Argos 3 for 2 on all toys that's at the end of September. Its great especially for the bigger toys like bikes and such especially if you have to get more than one.....

I aim to be finished by end of October so I can start on decorations and baking ect. I always leave some smaller things to get in the run up to Christmas just for the atmosphere :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I think a lot of people are starting to come around to thinking like this (shopping early ). I have always done my shopping early , I mean January sales early and continue to pick up bits through the year as sales come on. I have one 6 year old birthday in January and a one year old , 1st birthday in December, and happy to say as of last week have all their stuff got including the 1 year old birthday present, and a few bits for mr glitzgirl and my sister .

I find it gives great relief to know presents have been purchased and cost spread out. I always see people running around Smyths with a trolley in December loading up on presents and can't help but think of the implications of buying all those gifts in one go! I prefer to start early spread the cost and every year I buy a few more christmas decorations and enjoy christmas without feeling rushed.

By the way, christmas must be so much fun in your house with so many little ones! :D

I can not wait !
    Small baby is only 4 months and never having anymore ever so it is the 1st Christmas with my whole family :)
    I got a little tikes car for my car obsessed 19 month old and 2 cars dress up suits ,and it only cost me 50 euro in total :)
    Got the 3 year old some Lego and a silver cross pram for £30 and a dress up dress .£44 in total .
    Got the 5 year old some Lego ,a dress up dress and no idea what she wants so £16 spent and who knows how much more to go !!

I am an only child so it makes it even more amazing with kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I only have a few people to buy presents for so I usually start in September/October and buy a few bits each week or whenever I see something I know they would like.

Last year I actually started in early Sept and had it all done by the middle of November.

I'm going down the country soon for a few days and plan on hitting TK Maxx and a few of the local shops for some bits and bobs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For anyone wanting to stock up on Christmas crackers early, Debenhams in Blanchardstown seem to be shifting the leftovers of last year's stock at the moment. Some originally stupidly overpriced ones are reduced from €31 to about €4.50, and there are others for something like €20, knocked down from about twice that. I know there are year round Christmas shops in the States, but is this a record for the earliest that Christmas stuff has gone on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

Tesco have there Celebrations and Heroes out and some other Xmas sweets, picked up my first box today to stock up! Its great!! I thought I was the only SAP in Ireland that loved Xmas as much as I do, but clearly through these forums im defo not the only 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Tesco have there Celebrations and Heroes out and some other Xmas sweets, picked up my first box today to stock up! Its great!! I thought I was the only SAP in Ireland that loved Xmas as much as I do, but clearly through these forums im defo not the only 1!!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ;)

I saw them and I thought those plastic boxes for 7 euro looked a bit smaller then the metal ones? possibly my imagination!

I bought 3 little slings similar to the one I carry baba in for the 3 bigger kids and I got baba a little Lamaze toy.

By christmas I can start birthday shopping lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I saw them and I thought those plastic boxes for 7 euro looked a bit smaller then the metal ones? possibly my imagination!

It wasn't your imagination. This years plastic tub sweets net of wrappers weigh 780g, Last year's tin was 850g down from 975g the year before.

If it keeps going like that we'd have one or two only in the tin!! :(

Remember the 1kg tins.... I miss them!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I've about 80% of my christmas shopping done :D just need to get wrapping paper and things that aren't out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Although my children are grown up now I used to love christmas shopping. There was one year I decided to be organised and get everything early and by end of october I had everything bought for santa. But coming up to christmas it just wasn't the same I felt I should be out shopping. But one thing I have to say christmas is just not the same when there are no kids waiting for santa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

I am one of you!

Love the buzz, I've started picking up books for the kids......I've 4 under 7 and it helps to be organised......they are only small for a while.

I've bought some personalised decorations too!

Anne Other wrote: »
    I am one of you!

Love the buzz, I've started picking up books for the kids......I've 4 under 7 and it helps to be organised......they are only small for a while.

I've bought some personalised decorations too!

Where did you get the personalised decorations?

I got them from a FB seller ~ Conroy Keepsakes http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_conroy+keepsakes/

I have found FB very handy for some things.

I also get a few decorations from Trim the tree as gifts.

Anne Other wrote: »
    I got them from a FB seller ~ Conroy Keepsakes http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_conroy+keepsakes/

I have found FB very handy for some things.

I also get a few decorations from Trim the tree as gifts.

Thanks a million, think ill pay them a look!

Ooh I can not wait to get personalised decorations this year :) I have spent 4 of the last 6 Christmases pregnant and put off getting the personalised ornaments until we were finished .
    I am so excited :)

• Advertisement

............which is why I also splashed out this year.

There will not be another!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Anyone know when Boots will have the 3 for 2 Christmas gifts in? Started my shopping today online with Debenhams and Mamas and Papas sales :) feel on a roll now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I was in Smyths toys in Cork on Friday and they have 20% off all toys this weekend.

Any more tips!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Picked up a few bits in TK Maxx today for one of my little cousins, hoping to pick up a few more bits tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Boot have there christmas stock on there website
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Christmas/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to get a small baby? My first nephew, and he'll probably be 4-6 weeks old at Christmas. I know basically nothing about kids so I'd love some ideas, and even for something that first-time parents might like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Scarinae wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for what to get a small baby? My first nephew, and he'll probably be 4-6 weeks old at Christmas. I know basically nothing about kids so I'd love some ideas, and even for something that first-time parents might like

What about a teddy bear from build a bear,that would be nice for his first christmas the bear comes with a birth cert, I got one for my pals little guy the day he was born they both have the same birthday or a bouncer chair would be handy for the little guy to sit happily and take everything in, aswell as that his parents might get to eat a dinner while the little guy is sitting happily, I know my friend and her partner struggled to eat dinner together with having a little new arrival, exciting Scarinae I'm sure when he is big enough he will tell you what present he would like, no problem at all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

SarahLil wrote: »
    What about a teddy bear from build a bear,that would be nice for his first christmas the bear comes with a birth cert, I got one for my pals little guy the day he was born they both have the same birthday or a bouncer chair would be handy for the little guy to sit happily and take everything in, aswell as that his parents might get to eat a dinner while the little guy is sitting happily, I know my friend and her partner struggled to eat dinner together with having a little new arrival, exciting Scarinae I'm sure when he is big enough he will tell you what present he would like, no problem at all:)

He won't really know what you get him, but something he can have when he's older might be nice. I got my godson a really nice fountain pen with his name and DOB engraved on the lid. Obviously he won't be using it for years, but it's something he'll have for the future. If I had something like that now I'd love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Scarinae wrote: »
    Christmas tree decoration with baby's name ( maybe parents names as well ) then they will have some thing for down the years

Advertisement