Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Expensive decorations

• 25-08-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Do any of you have expensive decorations ? Went a bit mad this year & blew €400 on ten Waterford Crystal snowflakes

mq_snowflake09orn.jpg

Each year has a different shape & silver date at the top. I did get them for about a third below their normal retail, but still a lot to spend on glass that's displayed once a year...

After years of having cheap dunes plastic ones, I wanted something with a little glamour...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have a couple of the genisis christmas fairies and reindeers and also the big genisis santa in the sleigh with reindeers which i picked up on sale but that is it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh, they are gorgeous. Want.
    I haven't in the past, but I would LOVE to go all out and get fancy decorations!

The only ones I'd ever heard of (before the Waterford Crystal ones the OP mentioned!) are Newbridge Silverwear and I'm not a mad fan of those to be honest.

I can go a teeny bit mad at Christmas, so spending big on nice decorations would very much be something I would enjoy doing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Very pretty! I'd say your tree looks gorgeous with them. Are they heavy?

I couldn't spend that much on glass decorations, with my two kamikaze kitties. They'd be smashed before the week was out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

They are pretty heavy. I'm going to have to make sure they're secure. Will use small plastic ties to keep them on.

It was a real impulse buy, but the series started the year we moved in to this house & the set brought us up to last Xmas, so now will just buy one a year.

Shame they're not made in Waterford anymore, the first five were before production was outsourced to Poland.

There's also some lovely silver plated ones which they started a couple of years ago & they've been doing a range of sterling silver ones in the us for years - just search ebay for waterford Xmas to see the broad range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Nothing jaw droppingly expensive but I have some my O/H bought me in Harrods 12 or so years ago - before Christmas World went pear-shaped. I don't know how much he paid, but he got me a set of Cinderella Coach lights on e-bay last year and in sentimental terms, they're priceless to me. :)

• Advertisement

Have to give a shout out to the Irish Handmade Glass Company Have bought a couple of their baubles & will be placing an order for two more this year. Excellent service & beautiful pieces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

We don't have any really expensive decorations. I'd say about 95% of our decorations for the tree are new bridge silverware and crystal decorations for various Irish and foreign crystal companies however we also have a small few gold plated decorations that we've picked up over the years.

Others decorations around the house aren't really expensive either and were mainly picked up on the BT Christmas shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

We don't have any really expensive decorations. I'd say about 95% of our decorations for the tree are new bridge silverware and crystal decorations for various Irish and foreign crystal companies however we also have a small few gold plated decorations that we've picked up over the years.

Others decorations around the house aren't really expensive either and were mainly picked up on the BT Christmas shop.

Everything mentioned in this post seems like it'd be an expensive decoration! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Tarzana wrote: »
    Everything mentioned in this post seems like it'd be an expensive decoration! :pac:

Their not necessarily expensive and the collection has been built up over time. For example one of my favourite decorations is a set of 15 hand blown glass icicles that were blown for me by a glass maker in Germany and were only €2 each. You can also often get great deals in the BT Christmas shop and it isn't as expensive as people make it out to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I remember my Mam bought little high heel shows that have diamonds on them and they're really sparkly.

They're still around now albeit not as pristine as they once were.

I think they cost a small fortune when they were bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

I have a lot of Newbridge silver decorations too. Myself and oh have been getting 1 a year for our tree since we've been together. And it's a handy reminder of how many years, since I can count them. ;)

OU812, those crystals are gorgeous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bosley1421 wrote: »
    I have a lot of Newbridge silver decorations too. Myself and oh have been getting 1 a year for our tree since we've been together. And it's a handy reminder of how many years, since I can count them. ;)

That's a really good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Yes, one of my better ones! Nice for the baba too in the future hopefully. I love Christmas traditions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes, one of my better ones! Nice for the baba too in the future hopefully. I love Christmas traditions.

If you love Christmas Traditions, you'll love this thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74587075

:)

OU812, those crystals are gorgeous.

Every year since we first moved in together, we buy one of these:

J165_lrg.jpg

Xmas morning after santa has been & everyone's dressed in out finest, we take a family photo in front of the tree, this picture is then printed & framed & put on the tree on Stephen's day. That's our tradition here. It's great hanging them up & seeing us get older & the family get bigger every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

We got a lovely artificial tree last year that I plan to use for many many years to come.

It means that some of the 60-70e I would usually have to spend every year on a real tree can now go towards some special decorations that will be be kept until I'm pushing up daisies.

Advertisement