Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves #1 - kerry4sam

• 29-08-2014 2:01pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Welcome everyone to our first know your elves Q&A thread with the wonderful kerry4sam.

You can still sign up the signup thread and rules can be found here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057276709

So this thread will be active for about a week giving you plenty of time to drop in and ask any questions you may have for kerry4sam.

I'll kick it off with some standard questions;

1) Is your username in relation to Kerry winning the Sam McGuire cup or is it Kerry For Sam and Kerry and Sam are people :o

2) How did you stumble across the Christmas Forum on boards?

3) What is your favourite Christmas memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Of all the toys/games/nicky-nacky things you got from Santa over the years what was the most memorable?

What is your favourite part of Christmas? (eg the build up, the day itself or afterwards)

What is your favourite treat at Christmas, food, drink or otherwise? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Great idea to keep this thread going.

*Reserved until I think of a good question :rolleyes:*

What's the most important thing for you about Christmas? Religion, Getting the family together, decorations, food etc.

When do you usually put your decorations up? Do you put them up early or a week or 2 before?

What's your overall feeling towards the whole season itself?

Hope I'm not overwhelming you with the questions haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Loughc wrote: »
    Welcome everyone to our first know your elves Q&A thread with the wonderful kerry4sam.

You can still sign up the signup thread and rules can be found here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057276709

So this thread will be active for about a week giving you plenty of time to drop in and ask any questions you may have for kerry4sam.

I'll kick it off with some standard questions;

1) Is your username in relation to Kerry winning the Sam McGuire cup or is it Kerry For Sam and Kerry and Sam are people :o

2) How did you stumble across the Christmas Forum on boards?

3) What is your favourite Christmas memory?

Alrighty then, I did agree to be a guiney-pig to see how it takes off so here goes ...

~ My username:
    Well I registered on this discussion forum back in 2007 when going to varying GAA matches was something my Late Loving Dad & I used do as a hobby together. Dad even organised a trip to Omagh on one year as a birthday pressie for me that year, just for a league match against Tyrone :)

kerry4sam -> Kerry & our Sam Maguire Cup in short *(might just bore everyone with long answers in here)

~ My 1st post in our Christmas forum was in relation to Christmas Markets and I was especially happy about the one being held in Killarney back in 2years 9months ago for a reason I cannot remember now. Obviously felt it important to inform others about at the time though :o

~ Favourite Christmas Memory:
    Seldom would all of us in my immediate family sit down for a meal together. Normally always someone absent. Every Christmas though Dad would ensure we would all be present for our Family Meal on both Christmas Eve & Christmas Day! Always! Never been a year when any one of us would have been absent.
    True family man was my Late Loving Dad! Just loved those dinners :o

Thanking You for this start,
    &
    Thanking You for creating this addition to our Christmas forum :)
    kerry4sam

washiskin wrote: »
    Of all the toys/games/nicky-nacky things you got from Santa over the years what was the most memorable?

What is your favourite part of Christmas? (eg the build up, the day itself or afterwards)

What is your favourite treat at Christmas, food, drink or otherwise? :)

~ Most Memorable Gift from Santa
    Right now for some reason what springs to my mind was this Barbie Mansion! HUGE! It took my Late Loving Dad the best part of Christmas Day putting this together for me, with its' lifts up through the varying floors and all.
    Dad set it up in the kitchen while Mom was preparing our Christmas dinner & ended up having to move kitchen furniture around just to fit this doll-house in and piece it all together! Oh God what he didn't do for me :o

~ Favourite part of Christmas:
    As a child it would have to be the build-up. Both my parents would generate this buzz & excitement and anticipation! Wonderful for a child.
    These more recent years it would be Christmas Day itself. Such a special time in our Home. Just a pure family time for us!

~ Favourite treat at Christmas:
    The food. I seldom drink, like ever, but the food my Mom would create every Christmas for as long as I can remember was something special! All these lickle extras, these treats, always give all of us something only each of us would enjoy.
    We were all so lucky through the years :)

Thanking you for your questions,
    kerry4sam

Great idea to keep this thread going.

*Reserved until I think of a good question :rolleyes:*

What's the most important thing for you about Christmas? Religion, Getting the family together, decorations, food etc.

When do you usually put your decorations up? Do you put them up early or a week or 2 before?

What's your overall feeling towards the whole season itself?

Hope I'm not overwhelming you with the questions haha :)

~ Most important thing for me about Christmas:
    Most certainly getting the family together.

~ Usually put the decorations up:
    Normally in 2->3weeks before Christmas Eve. Have a few traditions in our home that stemmed from my Dads family at Christmas with one being : Our Christmas Lights would only ever be switched on after we attended mass on Christmas Eve! Might change this year though & switch them on early for Dad who passed away on December 20th last year!

~ Overall feeling towards this whole season:
    I just enjoy the time of year. Family together; friends around and meeting up; people are almost always in good, happy humour and looking after each other.
    Their is just something special about the Christmas Season that lifts people inside & I like that. You'd see people helping others with varying things, that wouldn't normally be the case. More people just seem to go out of their way to assist others around Christmas. It should happen more often and doesn't. So long as it continues even just in this festive season, then that'll keep me content.

Thanking you for your questions,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Well done kerry4sam

One question are hanging Christmas stockings a tradition for you?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Well done kerry4sam

One question are hanging Christmas stockings a tradition for you?

~ Christmas Stockings would not actually be a tradition for me.

Thank you for your question,
    kerry4sam

/actually found this one Christmas stocking at Home numerous years back, still don't know from where! It has kinda developed now into this Christmas Tree decoration through the years with the addition of varying items by me. Oh when boredom hits lads :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Cheers for answering my questions!

I really think this is a great idea to keep this forum going while we get closer to Christmas.

Really sorry to hear about you Dad btw, really sad especially at that time of year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

More questions for you

What's your favourite Christmas tradition?

What do you do with the turkey leftovers?

Cheers for answering my questions!

I really think this is a great idea to keep this forum going while we get closer to Christmas.

Really sorry to hear about you Dad btw, really sad especially at that time of year.

You are more than welcome AlanS181824 & Thank You for your kind words! Yes you are right that this should continue, and going by the numbers listed I think it may very well too :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

More questions for you

What's your favourite Christmas tradition?

What do you do with the turkey leftovers?

:pac: & their was me all content thinking, yey! I'm done! :pac:

~ Favourite Christmas Tradition:
    Every year my Late Loving Dad & I would go into town shopping on Christmas Eve. Every year just the two of us. Dad would buy Moms' Christmas gift and have me choose Moms Christmas Card (that I thought was the sweetest and personal for them), but then Dad would always treat me to something extra that he thought I would need or just like, on the quiet, that I know the others never received!
    Either before I went into work; or after I would finish, off the two of us would go into town on Christmas Eve. Always something to be bought :o

~ Turkey left-overs:
    Not something I was ever a fan of tbh

Thanks again for your questions,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

Small question ...
    but before that my sympathies on the death of your Dad.

Is there ANYTHING you don't like about the Christmas season?

CarrieAnne wrote: »
    Small question ...
    but before that my sympathies on the death of your Dad.

Is there ANYTHING you don't like about the Christmas season?

Thanking You!

~ Anything I don't like about the Christmas season:
    Differs. Years back Christmas meant studying for exams in January so the thought of Christmas meant knowing exams were around the corner;

last Christmas then did not feel like Christmas at all as Dad was laid to rest the day before Christmas Eve. I saw the cribs; carollers; decorations; lights; markets etc etc but it never felt like Christmas normally did for me.
    I didn't like that!
    Hope that answers your question,

Thanking You for your question,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

What are your plans for Christmas this year?

Favorite Holiday movie/tv show?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If you were asked to cook a 3 course christmas meal, what would you cook?

IrishGurll wrote: »
    What are your plans for Christmas this year?

Favorite Holiday movie/tv show?

My Christmas plans for this year 2014:
    In short, I'm just going to wing it! These past number of months I've been taking it each day at a time; then looking back after each week happy with how far I've come.
    Actually met 4 different people who've lost a parent during the Christmas season through the years, and all 4 & their families leave the country during the period for the emotions it evokes in each of them inside. I don't ever see myself being able to do that though.
    l'll stay local and just wing it would be my plan at this point in time! Don't have anything special planned for this year, other than visit as many Cribs as I can. Remember feeling at peace & an ease admiring the Cribs last Christmas for reasons I cannot explain.

Favourite Holiday move/tv show:
    Actually have a few
    ~ Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is a personal favourite
    ~ Polar Express for some reason
    "At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe."

~ Also, Christmas Vacation used normally have me in tears laughing

Thanks for your questions,
    kerry4sam

If you were asked to cook a 3 course christmas meal, what would you cook?

kerry4sam cooking a 3-course Christmas Meal:
    Now you didn't say for how many people and what both would enjoy... If it were just two people who like seafood:
    Starter: Beautiful Prawns with marie-rose sauce
    Main: change from the norm turkey & ham and Have Salmon or Fresh local Cod
    Dessert: Sherry Trifle or some Strawberry Flan I think!

Thanks for your question,
    kerry4sam

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUdBvuH9WTJjiHDsD7wWpS0brailJy9GvSpRS73xMrLrSXQg1zTA

Time for my thread to close & a New to open...

You were all real sweet and nice in this thread. Wishing all fellow elves the Best in the Q&A, it was fun :)

Hope you all Enjoy this Christmas Season 2014,
    kerry4sam

Thanks so much for being the brave person to go first! Thanks for answering all questions so fully and honestly, I really hope you have a wonderful Christmas season.

Remember to focus on all the wonderful memories you have and if you find the time of year difficult remember you always have your boards family here for you! :)

Posy's thread is now open for questions and can be found here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92067082#post92067082

Advertisement