Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ItsJustLaura

Anyone studying Irish, music, business, law or psychology in their arts degree? I'm starting in September and I'm still not certain what subjects to pick. I'd love any info about any of them subjects. I'm certain on doing Irish and then I think I'd do business along with that. Its my third subject that I'm having difficulty choosing. I like music but not sure if I'd like to study it. Law and psychology seem very interesting to do also. I don't know what to choose. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Anyone studying Irish, music, business, law or psychology in their arts degree? I'm starting in September and I'm still not certain what subjects to pick. I'd love any info about any of them subjects. I'm certain on doing Irish and then I think I'd do business along with that. Its my third subject that I'm having difficulty choosing. I like music but not sure if I'd like to study it. Law and psychology seem very interesting to do also. I don't know what to choose. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'm going into Final year B.A. Single Honours Psychology so I could help you out with any questions you have in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Anyone studying Irish, music, business, law or psychology in their arts degree?

I'm happy to answer any questions on Music or Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

You have plenty of time to pick there is sample lectures in the week b4 orientation and then 4 weeks trying out different lectures until you have to make your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LisaNiChon

I am going into 3rd year of the MH114 English course, does anyone know what the word count for the creative writing dissertation is? I can't find it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

LisaNiChon wrote: »
    I am going into 3rd year of the MH114 English course, does anyone know what the word count for the creative writing dissertation is? I can't find it online

Ring the department on monday or alternatively seek out the dept handbook.

BumbleB wrote: »
    Ring the department on monday or alternatively seek out the dept handbook.

I can't find it online anywhere, so I might have to ring them. Unless someone here knows.

MH114 - 3rd Year

Found old notes, in case anyone else needs to know:
    Academic essay/ short stories/ novel extract: 10,000
    or
    22-25 pages of poetry [with one poem being 60 lines min.]

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tago

Pure or applied maths, can anyone tell me their experiences with either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

tago wrote: »
    Pure or applied maths, can anyone tell me their experiences with either?

Pure maths is more difficult than Applied. You have to achieve certain grades in order to do pure. Pure students would typically have ambitions of doing some sort of postgrad in maths after their degree.

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »
    Pure maths is more difficult than Applied. You have to achieve certain grades in order to do pure. Pure students would typically have ambitions of doing some sort of postgrad in maths after their degree.

Thanks for your reply. I have the grades to do Pure. Is pure mainly only useful for further study in maths? I am interested in maths but don't think I want to be a mathematician. I have gathered that Applied is looked down upon in Maynooth, possibly because it's easier? Which sort of puts me off doing it.

Thanks for your reply. I have the grades to do Pure. Is pure mainly only useful for further study in maths? I am interested in maths but don't think I want to be a mathematician. I have gathered that Applied is looked down upon in Maynooth, possibly because it's easier? Which sort of puts me off doing it.

I don't know where you got that impression. It's not looked down upon at all.

As I said earlier, it would be typical of a pure student to have ambitions to do a postgrad in maths but of course you don't have to. You would be just as employable having a degree in pure maths as applied.

Not many people make the cut for pure maths. It is extremely difficult but with lots of effort it is one of the most rewarding subjects you could study.

I don't know where you got that impression. It's not looked down upon at all.

As I said earlier, it would be typical of a pure student to have ambitions to do a postgrad in maths but of course you don't have to. You would be just as employable having a degree in pure maths as applied.

Not many people make the cut for pure maths. It is extremely difficult but with lots of effort it is one of the most rewarding subjects you could study.

That's good to know!

Would a degree in applied maths be useful if I wanted to do a postgrad in maths (ie a postgrad in an applied maths area)?

I did some analysis this year and found it fascinating, but the proofs I found difficult. So not sure if I'd be able for pure maths.

That's good to know!

Would a degree in applied maths be useful if I wanted to do a postgrad in maths (ie a postgrad in an applied maths area)?

I did some analysis this year and found it fascinating, but the proofs I found difficult. So not sure if I'd be able for pure maths.

Plenty of people do their degree in applied maths and then decide to do a postgrad in maths. It may take longer though. For example, if you do pure maths you can do a taught masters in maths in one year. It would take two years if you do applied maths for your degree.

What are you doing at the minute?

Plenty of people do their degree in applied maths and then decide to do a postgrad in maths. It may take a longer though. For example, if you do pure maths you can do a taught masters in maths in one year. It would take two years if you do applied maths for your degree.

What are you doing at the minute?

Ok that's good to know. I'm doing the BSc Science, with chemistry and physics as my other subjects, going to drop one of them obviously.

Ok that's good to know. I'm doing the BSc Science, with chemistry and physics as my other subjects, going to drop one of them obviously.

I presume you did the MT236S module this year then? That should give you a taste of what to expect in pure. It's a lot of theorems followed by their proofs. It definitely take a bit of getting used to but it is very rewarding.

I presume you did the MT236S module this year then? That should give you a taste of what to expect in pure. It's a lot of theorems followed by their proofs. It definitely take a bit of getting used to but it is very rewarding.

Yes I did, I really liked it. What do you mean by rewarding, exactly?

Yes I did, I really liked it. What do you mean by rewarding, exactly?

If maths is your thing, there is something special about being stuck on a problem for hours/days/weeks and figuring it out. You will be amazed what you will learn when trying to figure out a problem.

It's hard to describe but it is an amazing feeling. A sense of achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Deirdre5

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but anyone studied an MA in International Justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rickety_slick

Hello! I want to know if the maynooth science course is a general science course meaning you do all science at first year and pick biotechnology, applied physics, pharmaceutical science at second year. Is the course outline similar to DCU or UCD? Please reply!

• Advertisement
Advertisement