Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I am posting this thread in the hopes of finding out more about my course from anyone that has done it and what the realities of the course entail. My knowledge of the course is limited as it was not one of my first choices and I would like to ask anyone what the course is really like as there is only so much you can get from qualifax and other sites online.

You won't even see a studio in first year. Its pretty theory heavy rather than practical in first year.

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    I Appreciate more of the advice
    It's a good course. If you are good at maths you'll have no issue. Like a previous poster said its an endurance test. For some reason first year is very intensive. The first semester especially is the worst , second semester is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

BumbleB wrote: »
    It's a good course. If you are good at maths you'll have no issue. Like a previous poster said its an endurance test. For some reason first year is very intensive. The first semester especially is the worst , second semester is a lot better.

Does it matter if you do either hl or ol for the lc?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

If you're talking about mathematics, no. You can do either HL or OL. Your result must be above a certain level though. (Check the prospectus for the latest requirements)

If you're talking about mathematics, no. You can do either HL or OL. Your result must be above a certain level though. (Check the prospectus for the latest requirements)

Yea i mean maths. would you be at an advantage if you do hl?

• Advertisement

Yea i mean maths. would you be at an advantage if you do hl?

Yeah, but it wouldn't help you that much. At least not in second semester. So if you feel like HL is too much, don't be scared to drop down. If you are able for it, by all means keep it.

Yeah, but it wouldn't help you that much. At least not in second semester. So if you feel like HL is too much, don't be scared to drop down. If you are able for it, by all means keep it.

Ok i appreciate the help

Ok i appreciate the help

I urge you to check the course requirments for the latest information though. Double check everything before you make any changes to what you're studying.

I urge you to check the course requirments for the latest information though. Double check everything before you make any changes to what you're studying.

Ok ill check it on qualifax

I'm not too sure how the maths course works nowadays but I used the latest text and tests 7 to survive. I also used my brothers text and tests from 2007 it has everything in it. If you can get your hands on the old text and tests they have pretty much everything that is required to pass caculus 1 and 2.HL is advantageous but a B in LC you should be ok but having said that uni maths is way different to the LC. Your algebra need to be pretty good and that is basically factorisation , logs ,indices , manipulating fractions, cubic functions,trigonometry etc. Programming wise you shouldn't have an issue but there is plenty of courses on the net that would bring you to the level you need. Difficulty wise the course is fine but the pace of college is frantic and first semester is quite intense.

• Advertisement

I'm not too sure how the maths course works nowadays but I used the latest text and tests 7 to survive. I also used my brothers text and tests from 2007 it has everything in it. If you can get your hands on the old text and tests they have pretty much everything that is required to pass caculus 1 and 2.HL is advantageous but a B in LC you should be ok but having said that uni maths is way different to the LC. Your algebra need to be pretty good and that is basically factorisation , logs ,indices , manipulating fractions, cubic functions,trigonometry etc. Programming wise you shouldn't have an issue but there is plenty of courses on the net that would bring you to the level you need. Difficulty wise the course is fine but the pace of college is frantic and first semester is quite intense.

Ok i see. Well i understand now the math which would be handy to know. Appreciate the reply to my question

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

What's the difference between computer science under arts and the normal entry?
    And will there be much maths for someone who liked leaving cert maths?
    Also, one more question, do you have to like gaming?

blackkeyes wrote: »

What year u in?

What year u in?

I just did my leaving cert

I just did my leaving cert

Cool. im only goin into 5th year

Arts VS normal entry: The subjects you can choose from depend on what faculty you are going through. So basically science subjects VS arts subjects.
    There will be enough math in first and second year.
    Gaming is totally irrelevant to the course.

Arts VS normal entry: The subjects you can choose from depend on what faculty you are going through. So basically science subjects VS arts subjects.
    There will be enough math in first and second year.
    Gaming is totally irrelevant to the course.
    Oh okay.Yeah I was just wondering because there seems to be a massive correlation.
    I'm doing arts anyway

You don't do a science subject ,you do an arts subject for your third subject instead. You also do a database module in first year that the CSSE program does in second year ,thats the only difference. There's 4 maths modules in the year Calculus 1 and 2 and statistics and linear algebra. For first year you are actually doing the pure maths degree. Gaming has very little to do with computer science. Computer science in a nutshell is a about coming across a problem and developing an algorithm to solve the problem.

You don't do a science subject ,you do an arts subject for your third subject instead. You also do a database module in first year that the CSSE program does in second year ,thats the only difference. There's 4 maths modules in the year Calculus 1 and 2 and statistics and linear algebra. For first year you are actually doing the pure maths degree. Gaming has very little to do with computer science. Computer science in a nutshell is a about coming across a problem and developing an algorithm to solve the problem.

I actually think I'll really enjoy that.
    Thank you! :)

I actually think I'll really enjoy that.
    Thank you! :)
    I am sure you will.

Basically the arts entry is a backdoor entry for some students because once you pass maths and Computer science and your third subject you can transfer into 2nd year CSSE.

Your pre requisite subjects are Maths and Computer Sc and a third arts subject. The third arts subject may require you to do a lot of reading and writing essays so if you don't like that choose it carefully.

• Advertisement

I am sure you will.

Basically the arts entry is a backdoor entry for some students because once you pass maths and Computer science and your third subject you can transfer into 2nd year CSSE.

Your pre requisite subjects are Maths and Computer Sc and a third arts subject. The third arts subject may require you to do a lot of reading and writing essays so if you don't like that choose it carefully.

To be honest, Arts was my first choice because I was pretty fascinated by anthropology but I want my degree to be pretty diverse and competitive for when I'm finished so I will hopefully have a few opportunities anyway.I'm kinda an all rounder,(basically average at everything! ) and I'm going to try out a few different subjects like chinese studies as well..
    Hopefully I'm doing the right thing anyway!

To be honest, Arts was my first choice because I was pretty fascinated by anthropology but I want my degree to be pretty diverse and competitive for when I'm finished so I will hopefully have a few opportunities anyway.I'm kinda an all rounder,(basically average at everything! ) and I'm going to try out a few different subjects like chinese studies as well..
    Hopefully I'm doing the right thing anyway!

Every one of my friends did Chinese. I was going to do it but it requires too much worka and time I didn't have. Chinese is difficult and the workload is heavy but most people like it because everybody gets to know each other and its very social unlike every other course where you are in a lecture hall with 300 other ppl you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 k_Rattigan

Anyone here going into science Education in Nui Maynooth? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Thread merge pending

• Registered Users Posts: 10 simsha

So, I am starting this course in September, and I am wondering what subjects would go well with Psychology? And I am hoping to go on to 2nd year psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I've heard it's really intense, so best maybe to pick second and third subjects that you really like, but that might be easier, with little if any course work.

If you're doing it through Arts, then you have to remember there's a lot of competition to get into second year. When friends of mine did it (albeit a few years ago), only the top 30 or so in the class who were doing it through Arts were taken on into second year.

So from that point of view, you need to make sure the other two subjects you pick are ones that you think you could keep doing for the whole degree... just in case you're stuck with them.

No matter what you pick in registration, you'll have a few weeks to try out a few different subjects before making a final decision. I sat in on classes for five subjects before settling on my three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Its actually not that intense, same amount of work/hours as most arts subjects. It's just really difficult to get into second year (I tried myself) but if you have the aptitude you will manage.

Pick whatever subjects interest you/ teach you skills/knowledge appropriate to your desired career path.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GorchaSleeson

Anyone here doing History? I'm doing Arts and definitely thinking about taking it on as one of my subjects. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 millypop

So....if you're in a BA joint honors course, is there still a chance you can get into pure psychology? Or can it only be done from a single honors course?

• Advertisement

Anyone here doing History? I'm doing Arts and definitely thinking about taking it on as one of my subjects. :)

Hehe

Advertisement