Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Queens of the Stone Age

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I loved QOTSA back in the day, around 2000 or so was when i first heard them. First album i had was the self titled debut and for my money its still their best album. Its the most raw, straightforward rock album they have. Everything else after that was meandering averageness. Rated R had about 4 or 5 good songs and the rest was just forgettable. I can barely remember anything off that album now. SFTD was great at first but the more i listened to it the more i got annoyed with the stupid radio bits in between every damn song, and the mid section of the album is totally just meh. It completely peters out until the final song. Never bothered listening to anything after that.
    Its the same way foo fighters went ****, too many side projects and not enough focus on their main bands and both foos and qotsa went to ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Think your man Mark Lannigan has some irish roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 laursc321

It's hard to say as they're all so different, their first self entitled album is my favourite, love every song on it. I started with Songs for the Deaf and found it quite hard to get into, but is said to be their best album. Era Vulgaris is a great album, a good variety of heavy and soft songs that I didnt like either at the start but now love. Rated R would be my least favourite but definitely has 2-3 big hits on it. Lullabies is quite eerie but worth getting into. ..like clockwork is an amazing album and their latest, I would probably start with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Never liked Era Vulgaris bar one or two songs. The first three are very good, Rated R especially good. I would hate to see them make the same album over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't think they've hit the same heights since Olivieri (sp?) left. He brought a manic energy that countered some of tendency towards the droning sound the band can have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

They're the best rock band of the noughties by a stretch in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

*cough* Porcupine Tree *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R3P0USH0

So ...

The easiest album of QOTSA to get is probably like clockwork

After here is in my opinion albums from the easiest to find to the hardest to find

Like clockwork...< Songs for the deaf < Rated R < Queens of the stone age < Lullabies to paralyze < Era vulgaris

After my first was songs for the deaf , after in chronologic way i bought Like clockwork , rated R , at the same time lullabies to paralyze and queens of the stone age and the hardest album who i search for about a year was era vulgaris .

After the rarest pearls of QOTSA , in rarity order (from the - rarest class to the + rarest )

Classic albums < Deluxe editions albums < Singles Albums < some of their vinyles like ERA VULGARIS TIME ( who is in my possesion )

The most rarest disc of Qotsa are probably the singles vinyles ( who are most of time with stickers as a gift ) who i search from some years .

The rarest vinyl or the rarest merch of QOTSA is the single vinyle THE FUN MACHINE TOOK A **** AND DIED

If you have more questions u can ask me

hope i was helpfull
    R3P0USH0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Feel good hit of the summer is a funny song.

/my 2 cents

Feel good hit of the summer is a funny song.

/my 2 cents

THE best song is Born to hula old version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I say this too.
    *cough* Porcupine Tree *cough*

Unreal band ltogether, in my top 3.

As for QotSA albums, if I had to choose favourites in an order:

Like clockwork
    Lullabies to Paralyse
    Rated R
    QotSA
    SFTD
    Era Vulgaris

And SFTD is high up on my favourite albums made too!

me my favorite albums in order from best to <<bad>> ;
    Queens of the stone age > era vulgaris > songs for the deaf > lullabies to paralyze > rated R > like clockwork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I don't think they've hit the same heights since Olivieri (sp?) left. He brought a manic energy that countered some of tendency towards the droning sound the band can have.

Agreed. I think Queens have become a bit po-faced and self indulgent in his absence. Rated-R through to Songs for the Deaf were the peak years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Not quite QOTSA but am watching / listening to this at the minute, a second album would be nice. First one was stand out brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Deank wrote: »
    Not quite QOTSA but am watching / listening to this at the minute, a second album would be nice. First one was stand out brilliant.

I disagree slightly, there's a lot of wankery on the album. Oh look what I can do, certain songs are over drawn. Could of been a sharper snappier album.

Caught them in Download, excellent performance. I'd like to hear new material too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UTLR

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I disagree slightly, there's a lot of wankery on the album. Oh look what I can do, certain songs are over drawn. Could of been a sharper snappier album.

Caught them in Download, excellent performance. I'd like to hear new material too.

Ah but here, thats what super groups are all about. They're not QOTSA, FF etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Josh seems to have gone off the rails, kicking a photographers camera in her face and also at the same show spoke obscenities about Muse (who were billed after them) and referred to audience members as "retards" :eek:

He didn't have the best of nights!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42304607

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think he was probably off his head, seemed genuinely contrite in the video he posted today.

It was a ****ty thing to do, a real dick move, but let's not hope the reactions to this get too out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Arghus wrote: »
    I think he was probably off his head, seemed genuinely contrite in the video he posted today.

It was a ****ty thing to do, a real dick move, but let's not hope the reactions to this get too out of hand.

Always struck me as a funny but very arrogant guy. He apologised, and as long as he sorts the photographer out for medical bills, a new camera and compensation, that should be that. A stupid thing to do, but we've all done silly things when off our heads.
    The social media mob won't have it though, until he is in jail most likely...
    Maybe Josh's arrogance finally caught up with him...

Advertisement