Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city may soon be relegated to 5th city status in terms of population

• 13-08-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

The Limerick city district now has 102,000 (excluding the 6,000 in Co. Clare)

The Waterford city district now has 65,000(incl.Tramore)

Galway city has 76,000 and has been passed out by Limerick and now even Waterford poses a problem for Galway city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't worry this stuff means nothing, Galway is the third city for all practical intents and purposes. You have the university that Waterford doesn't have, you have the investment and the love of Dublin's political class that Waterford (nor Limerick) has.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, I'm Galwegian and feel that Limerick has a more city "feel" than Galway does.
    We're more like a big town really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm Galwegian .

Really? How many generations do you have put into Forthill by Irwins? :D

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm ...feel that Limerick has a more city "feel" than Galway does. We're more like a big town really.

Agree totally. Mainly because the "boundary" with Co Clare isn't real at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Galway city centre is the nicer place to walk around currently, as Limerick city centre had been somewhat hollowed out for a variety of reasons , not least that a huge SC like Crescent was under county council admin rather then the city council so the two councils competed against each other..

In terms of Limerick , the consolidation of Limerick City and County councils is going to have a very positive impact on the city..

Limerick city centre is already night and day improved from 5/6 years ago, with hopefully more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Galways charm is that is not really a city in the traditional sense. The town centre is sizable enough, who cares about the size of suburban sprawl ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Galway city centre is the nicer place to walk around currently, as Limerick city centre had been somewhat hollowed out for a variety of reasons , not least that a huge SC like Crescent was under county council admin rather then the city council so the two councils competed against each other..

In terms of Limerick , the consolidation of Limerick City and County councils is going to have a very positive impact on the city..

Limerick city centre is already night and day improved from 5/6 years ago, with hopefully more to come.

Night and day improved. You obviously haven't been to Limerick recently. There is a considerable amount of empty retail space, and abundance of drug addicts and homeless people, a dearth of quality restaurants and pubs and little in the way of entertainment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Night and day improved. You obviously haven't been to Limerick recently. There is a considerable amount of empty retail space, and abundance of drug addicts and homeless people, a dearth of quality restaurants and pubs and little in the way of entertainment.

Didn't say it was perfect.. yes there a still run down areas , but overall it's much much better...And homeless people, drug addicts in certain areas? - Name a city that doesn't have those things??

More than a few nice places to eat have opened up in recent times - Nothing particularly high-end , but for a decent meal out of an evening there's lots of choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Didn't say it was perfect.. yes there a still run down areas , but overall it's much much better...And homeless people, drug addicts in certain areas? - Name a city that doesn't have those things??

More than a few nice places to eat have opened up in recent times - Nothing particularly high-end , but for a decent meal out of an evening there's lots of choice.

I really don't think that overall it is better. In fact I would say the SC on the outskirts has completely 'killed' the city from a commercial perspective. And, I think that the incidence of homeless and drug addicts, particularly drug addicts, is higher in Limerick than other large cities, relatively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Limerick city is pretty underrated due to an undeserved bad rep given by the media. The centre feels a lot more urban and city like than Waterford or Galway and almost makes them seem village like in comparison which isn't a bad thing. It also trumps other Irish cities architecturally due to it's extensive Georgian architecture with long wide streets which often resemble parts of Dublin.

Limerick is grander too and also feels grander than parts of Cork with architecture in squares like Pery Sq and the Cresent which is similar to the Circus in Bath at the top of O'Connell street at the fountain at the Daniel O' Connell statue. There's also a number of nice large parks within the centre particularly the People's park which is similar to St.Stephen's Green. Thomond Park is also an impressive imposing stadium which can be seen for miles outside the city. Just over the bridge from the stadium on the river Shannon is the 13th century King John's castle.

To go from the Hunt museum at one end of the main thoroughfare to the Daniel O' O'Connell monument at the other end is over 1km long making it a pretty long stretch. The suburbs also run out to about 8km East to Annacotty with a continuous urban footprint from the city centre.

The river front is probably the best in the country with the wide river Shannon being over looked by some new high rise buildings such as The Clarion hotel and the River Point building.
    Limerick definitely deserves it's third city status.
    t4d6.jpg
    Q5plI5.jpg
    EKBG0k.jpg
    Xd1Ezf.jpg
    8tpD5H.jpg
    GU8FN6.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

My daddy is bigger than your daddy.
    But my daddy looks more like a man than your daddy.
    But my daddy has muscles like a man over in Bath.
    Yeah, but your daddy has a bad reputation.
    No he doesn't that us undeserved.

These threads are comical. Keep em' coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

In big city terms, Galway is like Barcelona while Limerick is like Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you been to either of those places IRL?

Have you been to either of those places IRL?

I'm going to go with no..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

Interesting thread. Pity its bookended by an unfortunate comment. I do wonder why Limerick is relegated to 4th city status, is there grounding in fact or just perception? Listen to ads on the radio, the Daft property report etc. There is a solid top 3 with Limerick relegated to 'also ran' sometimes coupled with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Aingil wrote: »
    The Limerick city district now has 102,000 (excluding the 6,000 in Co. Clare)

The Waterford city district now has 65,000(incl.Tramore)

Galway city has 76,000 and has been passed out by Limerick and now even Waterford poses a problem for Galway city.

I don't get this. Quality over quantity any day. I live on the east coast, like Limerick a lot , love Galway but in recent years have have hated the f***king traffic in Galway. The LAST thing Galway needs is more bodies (and cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

A lot of roundabouts and Crusties in Barcelona are there?

Must have missed Glaways gems of 20th archetecture. There is the Cathedral I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Neither Limerick nor Galway on its own has any hope of offering a counterweight to the madness on the East Coast. So many people in the west and midwest leaving schools and going to Dublin or abroad.

I hope the missing connection from Gort to Athenry and onwards to Tuam (due for completion in the next few years) provides a platform for meaningful joint development and economic cooperation, obviously with Shannon Airport and Ennis as key components.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

topper75 wrote: »
    Neither Limerick nor Galway on its own has any hope of offering a counterweight to the madness on the East Coast. So many people in the west and midwest leaving schools and going to Dublin or abroad.

I hope the missing connection from Gort to Athenry and onwards to Tuam (due for completion in the next few years) provides a platform for meaningful joint development and economic cooperation, obviously with Shannon Airport and Ennis as key components.
    why would Galway our Limerick people want to live in Dublin? I Think when the motorway from Galway to Limerick is ready and hope next the start the Limerick to Cork motorway then Dublin watch out look at Belfast a 100 years ago.

Advertisement