Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you want to be in X years?

• 19-06-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all

As many of us are now getting through the later stages in the application, my thoughts have turned to where my career could take me.

I've been a bit rattled by reports of some saying that there is little opportunity to progress past constable, and even the join website specifying that by far the greatest need is constables.

I'm the type of person who's hungry for progression, and would hate to be in a situation where I found I was unable to move forward.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or any serving officers/new joiners on here have any advice? Keep it constructive please :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

mstar wrote: »
    Hi all

As many of us are now getting through the later stages in the application, my thoughts have turned to where my career could take me.

I've been a bit rattled by reports of some saying that there is little opportunity to progress past constable, and even the join website specifying that by far the greatest need is constables.

I'm the type of person who's hungry for progression, and would hate to be in a situation where I found I was unable to move forward.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or any serving officers/new joiners on here have any advice? Keep it constructive please :-)

I don't answers, but a few thoughts.

You may find that, once in the job, you don't want to climb any further. Any new experience will change your perspective on things- of course it may only increase your desire to progress up the rank structure. It would be interesting to see where the greatest turn over in personnel is- we know nobody wants to work in the west, so presumably a willingness to work there would improve career prospects. There's also the impact having a family would have- obviously we don't know your personal circumstances but it's something worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I've heard that some people think once you move up the ranks you're just a pen pusher. I doubt it's that simple but I suppose, when I think now, before I'm in or have any experience, my goals are more about earning respect, from colleagues and the community you serve. You'll never change everyone's views but I'd like to deal with someone who hates the police and maybe make them think again. I don't mean that to sound so niave, I know police are hated, one person can only make a v small difference but I would aim to do that, change perceptions of even a few people.

I think once I get in I'll have a better idea of other sections I might want to move to / roles I'd like to work up to but at the mo I'm keeping an open mind. Where ever I end up I want to know I've earnt it, I've worked to get there. So first few years will be doing just that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

A Sgt at one of the sessions made the point of explaining that you don't do your two years and jump into TSG, dogs, etc. Clearly people in the past thought this was the case.

I would say the more time spent in response will serve you well in the future. Don't forget progression can be horizontal as well as vertical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

MStar, if you look at the strength statistics of the PSNI it might give you an idea of chances of progression into higher ranks. Maybe someone could be kind enough to copy them into this thread as I don't know how to on my tab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'd be telling lies if I said I hadn't thought about it. I've been told be an in house friend to get out of response ASAP but there's that buzz I think about being the first there and dealing with whatever's happening. I'm thinking TSG sounds amazingly awesome but if we had a mounted division I'd be there without a doubt!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

I expect to still be waiting.....................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tailsy25088832

5-10 yrs in response doesn't sound that bad.im sure there will be training oppertunities for TSG,traffic etc

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Chief Constable - move over George!!!!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Should I ever get called to G'ville in the first place, id eventually like to end up in the e-crime unit, that's the area im qualified in at the mo ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Tsg tsg tsg lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Fingers crossed not still in wait haha.

I'll worry about getting in first and foremost and then getting the bread and butter response style policing behind me for however long needed.

Ultimately, would like to try for SOB should opportunities arise in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

I'd like to end up on the Auto Crime Team or ARVs.

Eventually after a good few years, I wouldn't mind going down the Self Defence/Firearms trainer route.

pcplod wrote: »
    Tsg tsg tsg lol

Lol you and me both then. Will be a right wise unit if we're in it lmfao!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I know the first sergeant promotion exams took place or are taking place at this moment in time, first one in like 8 years too. Was told when I was asking about progression that your fighting the masses for little vacancies if you know what I mean, only a handful of sergeant roles available all based rural and so many applying for them, someone has to get them I suppose so would never deter me as such. I would need to get in first before thinking about all that lol, but I would like to go into CID and work within serious organised crime branch if I could, HMSU within special operations branch would be awesome too, but from what I've been told they're all headers lol super fit and super efficient with their guns lol.

Well I'd fit in there then. Definitely a header, not so sure on the super fit bit lol. Maybe I'll give it a miss then lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

I can't believe I'm the only one to say I'm defo gonna be in the Sweeney at 10 year mark!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

I like this thread. Makes me realise its a career for life. I've had some doubts lately as I'll be going in with a heavily pregnant wife. Won't be easy if it happens.

Similarly will be difficult if I get sent far away etc.

I like this thread. Makes me realise its a career for life. I've had some doubts lately as I'll be going in with a heavily pregnant wife. Won't be easy if it happens.

Similarly will be difficult if I get sent far away etc.

Ok I'll do my best Jerry Springer here......
    It's totally do-able though. My ex went into GV when I was 4 months pregnant with our first child. Hard work from both sides but it can work if you're BOTH as understanding what the others going through and determined to make it work. I still have the pic of my 8week old son in his daddy's arms at his passing out parade. You'll have that to look forward to!!!! Btw he's not my ex cos if the job or anything related to it so don't panic there either. You're providing a great and secure future for your family. Don't forget that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Thanks. If you don't mind can you tell me what happened when you had the child? Did he get any time off?

The biggest problem will be not being here for the residential period and helping with house stuff etc. How long is the initial residential phase?

I'm not sure if this has changed. Were talking 2005 now but basically they gave him a week off I think and a **** load of homework. He was told if he had longer off he'd be put back a squad to make sure he got caught up. He had to stay overnight mon to fri for the first 4 weeks then you could come home in the evenings after that but I've heard rumours even GV has gone to shifts to get us used to it :-/

When you get the call I'd say to them and give the EDD and see if they offer you a deferral or how long you'll get off. I know ones have been told absolutely no days off but it's a bit different when it come to your partner giving birth, well you'd assume so lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

A friend of mine wanted to be TSG and it took him ten years to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I know the first sergeant promotion exams took place or are taking place at this moment in time, first one in like 8 years too. Was told when I was asking about progression that your fighting the masses for little vacancies if you know what I mean, only a handful of sergeant roles available all based rural and so many applying for them, someone has to get them I suppose so would never deter me as such. I would need to get in first before thinking about all that lol, but I would like to go into CID and work within serious organised crime branch if I could, HMSU within special operations branch would be awesome too, but from what I've been told they're all headers lol super fit and super efficient with their guns lol.

There are sgt exams in sept.

Gee-22 wrote: »

Hello Gee mate!

How u getting on, have u reapplied??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

interesting. whats on the syllabus for those ?

popolive wrote: »
    interesting. whats on the syllabus for those ?

I've no idea. I just have a friend who's revising for their test in sept.

Tim89 wrote: »
    Hello Gee mate!

How u getting on, have u reapplied??

Hey. Yes, I sat my IST last week. What stage are you at?

Hey. Yes, I sat my IST last week. What stage are you at?

Passed PCA last week mate, hopefully medical ASAP

Little bit confused about what they would see as "predicted maximum" for body fat % so not taking any risks = no more carbs for Tim !!!

Best of luck mate if you smash the life out of AC you shouldn't be too far behind!

Tim89 wrote: »
    Passed PCA last week mate, hopefully medical ASAP

Little bit confused about what they would see as "predicted maximum" for body fat % so not taking any risks = no more carbs for Tim !!!

Best of luck mate if you smash the life out of AC you shouldn't be too far behind!

Good stuff. If you passed the PCA you can't be carrying too much body fat. No carbs isn't much fun, but cutting down on them will get the body fat down until medical is passed.

Good luck.

In 10 years time I'd actually like to be in lol. Fed up with this waiting craic

• Advertisement

Mop a top wrote: »
    Lol you and me both then. Will be a right wise unit if we're in it lmfao!!

Truthfully, TSG is thought of as a kinda Gucci unit, you know, kicking ass and being a general badass. Truth is it's mostly interminable periods of checkpoints, security patrols and searches. And please believe me, shield lines get incredibly boring after the first couple of 20 hour shifts.

There are several options between response and TSG. Crime teams, ROU, traffic (which is a precursor to ARV, which actually IS Gucci).

Get in. See if you like response. It varies wildly by district and station.

Advertisement