Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best tasting whole fish?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am new to Ireland. I want to buy the best tasting fish in Ireland. I need a whole fish and want the shop person to cut into pieces across. So which is the best tasting fish(salmon etc.) which I can get in Dublin and can I get the whole fish? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its too subjective to say which is the best tasting fish in Ireland.
    We have a wealth of seafood here and some seasonal fish like Tuna which some people like and others don't.
    Its probably best for you to get a sampler of all the different types of fish, John Dory, Salmon, Haddock, Hake etc and see which suits you best.
    It will depend on how you cook the fish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

IMO Sea Bream cooked whole is tres magnifique

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Sea bass whole are immense BBQ'd / steamed / oven baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Sea trout ain't too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Both Bream and Bass are imported, Personally I'd rather buy Irish fish than imported farmed fish.
    Maybe its just me but its like coals to Newcastle buying imported fish here when we have such as amazing variety just off our EU's shore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have you tried mackerel - oily fish.
    Love it and it's very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Thanks all. I have just tried salmon until now. I will try others from now on. Going to howth for sightseeing on Sunday, so will buy some nice fish over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Hard to beat fresh mackerel. Ling is pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Nice bit of pan fried Lemon Sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Mackerel, Hake and Ray would be my favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

For me it is fresh mackerel.. the most important factor is the freshness IMO however so if you can get it straight off the docks and cooked on the pan within the hour it will be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Gurnard is a big impressive fish, but you only get 2 small fillets off it, but they are tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Forgot to mention Whiting. When fresh it's hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Black sole or Halibut are top of the fish pile :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

In terms of flavour probably Halibut or Monkfish. Both are pricey though.

For a fish that is relatively cheap and delicious if you get it fresh I'd go +1 for mackerel. An underrated gem.

And be sure to try seatrout, it's a fish that is similiar to salmon in appearance and texture but is nicer than salmon (in my humble opinion anyway, others may not agree).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ark rose glenn

Black sole is tops

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Really surprised people mentioning monkfish as a fish you'd eat whole, best of luck with that. My vote goes to Black Sole, with an honorable mention to Whitebait, which you eat literally whole (I though I did see one diner trying to fillet one when a bowl full was served to him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fan of Sole here too, although I've cooked a whole turbot once and it was unbelievably good. One of the best meals we've ever had.

It really is all down to the freshness.... That turbot was caught that morning and I was eating it a few hours later.

Mackeral this time of year are very best when you catch them and stick them straight on the bbq at the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

duploelabs wrote: »
    Really surprised people mentioning monkfish as a fish you'd eat whole, best of luck with that.

CC5B0938-9350-429D-9B6E-50C709E72CA5_zpslukhrbpp.jpg

Advertisement