Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI recruitment Looking for advice... Please

• 06-08-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

PSNI

Hi Folks

I haven't applied to the PSNI this time around but am strongly considering doing so on the next Recruitment drive.

Let me start by saying I would love nothing more than serving in the PSNI and I can only hope that should I ever be successful in doing so that I can do the position I fill justice.

I am an ROI resident and I suppose my questions would be directed at other recruits or PCs who are from the ROI. Who are either going through or have been through the change from/to NI...

I understand that some of my questions probably cannot be answered for security reasons. That is fine even a yes or no answer would help me.

1) Is there certain areas in NI where PSNI would advise you to look for accommodation?

2) would you still be able to live in the ROI as in come home on your days off etc. and just have digs in NI for when on duty? Are any of you guys in this position or know how feasible it would be?

3) drivers license and car reg changing, do you have to change from ROI to NI plates, license etc? If so any advice?

4) how have you guys adapted with the change from ROI to NI?

5) any body any advice on how to prepare for it should I be successful.

Good luck to all the current recruits and best wishes for the future.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Regards

P..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Hi buddy, I'm a current applicant within the second campaign that opened there May/June but if I'm successful I would be 3rd gen so I have a bit of an insight of the goings on. There is certain areas within NI you won't be able to live and go, that's not a strict rule, but your social life and private life will dramatically change, and that applies for any applicant no matter where they are coming from.

Living down south and serving in NI at one point was doable though not practical etc with security and even distances from serving stations, this is now from what I've been told no longer visable, you must live within the serving jurisdiction, and I think that is more for practicality, again some others may know of people whom have done that as there was some but I know for a fact now that is no longer visable.

The other questions I can't really answer as I'm not from down south hopefully an applicant and/or a successful applicant would be able to help you on that part. For preparation things like english comprehension, and mental arthimetic and data handeling would help with the entrance exam, fitness I would really say make sure is up to scratch well in advance of applying, I think a lot of people under estimate the fitness side of the process, and before it wasn't even tested now it is. Anyone recruited from now on will have to take a fitness test once a year to maintain it so, it's a big issue now, other than that that's all I could say for preparation.

All I can say bud is if your heart is truly in it and you don't mind the fact your life will dramatically change both in work and private life then go for it :) things have changed; pay, pensions etc however, when you look at the details and what not it's not changing that much, serving time is 35 years for a full pension and starting salary is 19k maxing out at 36k after 7 years so not bad, I know AGS has been destroyed down south in terms of pay and pension. Thankfully up here whilst changes have been made however they are nowhere near as dramatic as AGS. Good luck bud and I hope some of this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MrIndecisive

Hi buddy, I'm a current applicant within the second campaign that opened there May/June but if I'm successful I would be 3rd gen so I have a bit of an incite of the goings on. There is certain areas within NI you won't be able to live and go, that's not a strict rule, but your social life and private life will dramatically change, and that applies for any applicant no matter where they are coming from.

Living down south and serving in NI at one point was doable though not practical etc with security and even distances from serving stations, this is now from what I've been told no longer visable, you must live within the serving jurisdiction, and I think that is more for practicality, again some others may know of people whom have done that as there was some but I know for a fact now that is no longer visable.

The other questions I can't really answer as I'm not from down south hopefully an applicant and/or a successful applicant would be able to help you on that part. All I can say bud is if your heart is truly in it and you don't mind the fact your life will dramatically change both in work and private life then go for it :) things have changed pay, pensions etc however, when you look at the details and what not it's not changing that much, serving time is 35 years for a full pension and starting salary is 19k maxing out at 36k after 7 years so not bad, I know AGS has been destroyed down south in terms of pay and pension. Thankfully up here whilst changes have been made however they are nowhere near as dramatic as AGS. Good luck bud and I hope some of this helps.

Hi Highbury Lad,

Thanks a million for your reply.

One more question if you don't mind, what would be a correct Computer qualification to have as I currently don't have any and need to go get one?

I wish you the best in your future career and hope to one day serve beside you.

Regards

P..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Hi Highbury Lad,

Thanks a million for your reply.

One more question if you don't mind, what would be a correct Computer qualification to have as I currently don't have any and need to go get one?

I wish you the best in your future career and hope to one day serve beside you.

Regards

P..

You don't need one for the most recent campaign, they removed that requirement after last year's campaign, possibly as it snookered far too many good candidates before they even got started really.

Sorry I just realised you haven't applied to this one, if there is one next year and there is an ICT requirement just make sure you get on getting an ECDL or something of the sort as fast as possible as places filled up quickly last time when they realised what was going on. I think they even jacked up prices too!

You don't need one for the most recent campaign, they removed that requirement after last year's campaign, possibly as it snookered far too many good candidates before they even got started really.

Sorry I just realised you haven't applied to this one, if there is one next year and there is an ICT requirement just make sure you get on getting an ECDL or something of the sort as fast as possible as places filled up quickly last time when they realised what was going on. I think they even jacked up prices too!

Thanks Dutch_Rudder

I was looking at the ECDL alright I think it was €600 or something like that. I am going to get enquiring about it today.

Thank for your help

Regards

P..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Thanks Dutch_Rudder

I was looking at the ECDL alright I think it was €600 or something like that. I am going to get enquiring about it today.

Thank for your help

Regards

P..

That is VERY steep, I think the worst I heard was £150/£200 up north. At that price would you not be better holding off to see if it's actually necessary and if there actually is a recruitment drive next year? No point throwing good money away I think!

• Advertisement

That is VERY steep, I think the worst I heard was £150/£200 up north. At that price would you not be better holding off to see if it's actually necessary and if there actually is a recruitment drive next year? No point throwing good money away I think!

That's a massive price difference alright. It might be worth looking at doing it up there. I will probably just go and get it under my belt now for whenever the next drive is. Because I need to resit my leaving certificate too as I regrettably didn't pay much attention in school, so I need to meet the educational requirements too.. Let's hope it all pays off for me when I do apply.

Advertisement