Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spraoi 2014?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

www.spraoi.com

The website is great, has all the info you need including a digital version of the Spraoi programme.

Love Spraoi and can't wait for this year's festival. Even thought I no longer live in Ireland I still try to make it home for Spraoi every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WideAwake123

www dot spraoi dot com

The website is great, has all the info you need including a digital version of the Spraoi programme.

Love Spraoi and can't wait for this year's festival. Even thought I no longer live in Ireland I still try to make it home for Spraoi every year.

Thank you so so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Really great line up of street performers and music, & the parade looked great on the telly the other night! Could be the best SPRAOI yet!

Lots of updates on their facebook page too!

https://www.facebook.com/SpraoiWaterford?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

I Love Spraoi!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

It's like Christmas for the pubs and shops and restaurants in the town. Needs to get more support from the people and businesses of Waterford IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Where abouts is the fireworks this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The bucket collection will be on going all weekend don't be shy folks Spraoi deserve and need our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

A few people from the Waterford Gang Facebook page were out and about this morning as the street cleaners were cleaning up the aftermath of the spraoi parade, the cleaners said they have been cleaning up human excrement as well as all the rubbish strewn about the place.

Since when has it been ok for someone to **** on the streets, enough of a problem with dogs, don't understand why people have to turn into animals and tarnish a weekend of fun with this kind of behaviour.

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its never been ok for someone to **** on the street, but then its never been ok for someone to piss on the street and yet you'll see it alot on a saturday night etc. In fairness its not much different.

Remember a few years ago I was working on the quays and I walked up through red square after the parade, state of the place was shocking..rubbish everywhere.

We as a society are awfully disrespectful to our towns and citys when it comes to dumping stuff, some people just see no problem in dropping rubbish on the street and in my view such people are utter scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Are we becoming a bit blasé - hardly a mention on Boards last few days on another great Spraoi weekend.

Great week-end - 21st
    Liked the focus along O'Connell Street - into John Roberts Square and over into Cathedral Square and the newly titled "Palace Square".

The Plaza set up seemed to work OK - was there Sunday (The Correspondence were particularly good).

Parade route was a return to one of the early years routes - more intimate; limits the size of floats (still massive);

Weather Saturday did impact - it was so miserable - would a Plan B to include a stand-by Marquee on the quay (like the size of the Ice Rink one - use if needed.

Anyway - very well done to all - Volunteers in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Went in Saturday, acts canceled times changed and place like a morgue. The plaza entrance was an accident waiting to happen.
    Didnt' bother with parade and did the fireworks away from the crowds. Coming back along the quay was like a tip people p*ssing against walls and bags, bottles and boxes just strewn all over the place. The fire brigade where doing someone at the public toilets and probably what i hear about the amount of human waste on the streets god knows what they were dealing with.
    Fireworks were great thats something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topics Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Sully wrote: »
    Topics Merged

Don't quite agree there - whatever the other posters are saying is not about the many many positives of Spraoi itself and the arrangements and acts. also the heading is not referring to Spraoi at all. The 2 threads are separate if related issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Martin_D wrote: »
    Don't quite agree there - whatever the other posters are saying is not about the many many positives of Spraoi itself and the arrangements and acts. also the heading is not referring to Spraoi at all. The 2 threads are separate if related issues.

Even the thread title gives no hint that it's anything to do with Spraoi...!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Are we becoming a bit blasé - hardly a mention on Boards last few days on another great Spraoi weekend.

Great week-end - 21st
    Liked the focus along O'Connell Street - into John Roberts Square and over into Cathedral Square and the newly titled "Palace Square".

The Plaza set up seemed to work OK - was there Sunday (The Correspondence were particularly good).

Parade route was a return to one of the early years routes - more intimate; limits the size of floats (still massive);

Weather Saturday did impact - it was so miserable - would a Plan B to include a stand-by Marquee on the quay (like the size of the Ice Rink one - use if needed.

Anyway - very well done to all - Volunteers in particular.
    Topics Merged

You sure you didnt mean to merge the above post with this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057257080

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fixed with a new merger. Keeping all the Spraoi discussion in one thread. If we separate them out, it's just going to be two separate discussions on both sides of the festival anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WILL NEVER BE BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WILL NEVER BE BACK

You going to tell us why?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

I went in friday and Sunday with the kids. I love spraoi but I have to say some of the acts dragged on a bit. Most of the acts were 40 mins small kids were getting bored and the acts seems to drag on and on.
    Loved the parade and the parade route , fireworks were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Parade was amazing. Love the route not being on the quay. Much better atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Completely agree with this, what people are complaining about has nothing to do with Spraoi. Young Irish people’s behaviour at events like things has just become worse and worse. Bunch of spoilt brats that have never been thought the difference between right and wrong. Not Spraoi or Waterford's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I love fireworks and always have. Sadly, I was alone at home minding the dog last night (the joys of grown up kids who'd rather party than look after the dog on fireworks night) and could not leave her alone so totally missed what is a highlight of the year for me. Hearing it was deadly. Well done to all even if I missed it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

jimbojazz wrote: »
    You going to tell us why?

because enniscorthy is where its at

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Wonderful weekend at Spraoi, the festival is very weather dependent but there you go, the cost of putting up a marquee would be phenomenal including the hiring renting of space etc.. and the Festival is just not funded enough. The atmosphere around the city on Saturday night and Sunday was tremendous.

On that point I am fed up every year of reading about drunkenness and "animal behavour" and how people feel it is grand to target the festival as the reason for this. Spraoi promotes the Arts and family entertainment. There was massive crowds around Sunday and especially Sunday night and thee vast majority of those out an about were just enjoying a great night in for our city and promoting it in a very family friends manner. For those idiots who acted like animals (and probably do it on other times throughout the year) a bit of cop on and decency would go a along way. If it is drink that causes them to behave like that they need to give it up.

But please, please do not let this behaviour detract from what is a spectacular event for our city, we should be promoting this event and seeking additional funding not giving the detractors ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Everyone knows its not Spraois fault and I never inferred that in my post far from it, but the behaviour of defecating and pissing in the streets needs to be policed and cracked down. I was at the Spraoi on Sunday didn't see any police around the various streets at all, perhaps it would have deterred people from acting like animals

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    Everyone knows its not Spraois fault and I never inferred that in my post far from it, but the behaviour of defecating and pissing in the streets needs to be policed and cracked down. I was at the Spraoi on Sunday didn't see any police around the various streets at all, perhaps it would have deterred people from acting like animals

Shin

I was in Sunday afternoon and saw numerous Guards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was in Sunday afternoon and saw numerous Guards :)
    Ah sure you'd be looking out for them :p.

Shame that the weather resulted in some cancellations but thanks to social media, people are easily able to keep up to date with the new plans.

As for the public toilets, I'd suggest just get in a load of portaloos but with so many festivals that weekend, I'd say they cost a bomb. And anyway, it's Waterford City Centre... a toilet in a pub/hotel is little more than two minutes away, so I'm not sure what good getting hundreds of portaloos in would do, other than allow Spraoi to deflect the blame (not that I think it's their fault anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

another excellent spraoi, credit to all involved and I hope the keyboard warriors who know whats wrong with everything put a €5 into the collection boxes, i fear some people out there are more than happy to enjoy/complain and not support anyway.
    especially liked the sierra leone refugee band down on the plaza, great to see facilities down there such as bar, food and toilets. Keeping the can drinking outside helped the friendly atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was down for the first time this weekend and had a great time - the NEST acts in particular were great. The parade was great and fireworks too but with all those thousands of people about, it couldn't have hurt to put some portaloos out. I watched the parade and the fireworks on the quays and was able to sneak into the Granville when I needed to but the only public toilets outside were those pay ones and had a queue a mile long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Max Powers wrote: »
    another excellent spraoi, credit to all involved and I hope the keyboard warriors who know whats wrong with everything put a €5 into the collection boxes, i fear some people out there are more than happy to enjoy/complain and not support anyway.
    especially liked the sierra leone refugee band down on the plaza, great to see facilities down there such as bar, food and toilets. Keeping the can drinking outside helped the friendly atmosphere.

according to WLR it seems like the Spraoi money was down this year so thats disappointing on the locals 'pulling for each other' front. people were asked for a fiver for a weekend of entertainment and came up short. We all know there is a employment problem and we all have bills, water charges, property tax but most can afford cans, drinks at Spraoi and other stuff so a few quid if not 5 is in most cases not too much to ask. i hope the festival doesnt suffer because of this, their funding from bord failte was already cut. I dont fully agree with money down due to the bad weather on saturday argument, most who didnt go saturday were in sunday if not friday. Do younger generation realise that they need to support these things, its not the same as downloading films or music from some website, this has an immediate and local effect. This is all a bit negative/disheartening but i think it is important none the less.

Advertisement