Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you get into the ARW?

• 26-07-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm not asking because I want to join (I do want to join the military doe)
    But I'm just wondering how do people get into the ARW?
    Are you picked or can you apply, how hard is it etc...

*and can you have asthma and join the military? Asthma that's not there anymore but you had years ago? I'm 17 now*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

From the website:

"To get into the valorous Army Ranger Wing, you need to complete basic training, as well as possess Leaving Cert French (C3 minimum) and 2 years relevent experience in an Anti-Terrorist organisation, or Order of Malta service."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Tut-tut, discus, for some reason you omitted to mention that five years' continuous service in the Legion of Mary National Clog-dancing team would count as one-year contribution towards a three-year tour in 2REP, which would absolve you of having to undergo the first three weeks of ARW training.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

tac foley wrote: »
    Tut-tut, discus, for some reason you omitted to mention that five years' continuous service in the Legion of Mary National Clog-dancing team would count as one-year contribution towards a three-year tour in 2REP, which would absolve you of having to undergo the first three weeks of ARW training.

tac

Hmmmm.....

Five years in the LoM -v- one in 2REP?.........you'll be left a brainwashed, hollowed out shell of a man......

however, option B will leave with competency in French!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Miceail22

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm not asking because I want to join (I do want to join the military doe)
    But I'm just wondering how do people get into the ARW?
    Are you picked or can you apply, how hard is it etc...

*and can you have asthma and join the military? Asthma that's not there anymore but you had years ago? I'm 17 now*

Join any branch of the Permanent Defence Forces, complete recruit training. Apply for selection course or whatever it's called now. Like any SF unit they are always looking for people to go on selection. They do a prelim week a few months beforehand recommended but not required.

Pass Selection

Pass Basic Skills Course

Posted to ARW

It's the hardest course in the PDF, anything else I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

This is the problem with you guys, yous are just spouting **** and now OP is probably confused :mad:

The Frech Foreign Legion have absorbed the Legion of Mary since 2012, they now have the French Foreign Legion of Mary, which has replaced the since disbanded 19DBLE. You can only serve in them with 4 years as an altar boy at a Carmelite or Francisan Diocese.

Unless you guys pull yourselves together I'll be reporting posts :mad:

You can't just 'apply' for the selection course. The ARW will seek out people and invite them. This is done once a year, when 2 men in sunglasses visit your unit clerk and hand them an envelope with your name on it. Once you have been handed the envelope you have 24 hours to get to the Curragh with full kit, although ou must run the last 700m in the time honoured tradition of Pascal '700m' Shaughnessy, the first irish ARW member, who liked to sprint 700m with 2 left boots on and a belt tied over his eyes. You will be provided the belts within the envelope the clerks give you.

• Advertisement

Again, you neglected to mention that you should retain your altar boy uniform for, ahem, certain activities, if you get my drift...;)

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

You need to have the underwater knife fighting course done first.

You can do that in the form of a multi-choice on-line exam, though.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Was there not something about always being the second man on the balcony too?

EVERYBODY of a certain age has been 'the second man on the balcony'.

Jeepers, that was over 33 years ago now...how time flies, eh?

You'll notice how no NPs have done it since, right?

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement