Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building with Shipping Containers

• 21-07-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey folks,

Just looking for any experiences anyone has had with building a house with shipping containers in Ireland. I'm particularly interested in the following:

- Difficulties with planning applications - Rural & urban
    - Contractors with experience in building with containers
    - Any issues/limitations experienced using containers

Anyway, any and all info useful.

Thanks

FM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

None that I know of in Ireland, but plenty in the UK where regulation isn't a million miles away from our own.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I was approached by an architect on a project previously with this approach but dont know if it ever took off. If your interested I will pm you their details so you may get more joy speaking to him on how it went.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You will end up insulating and providing cladding outside the container structure and you will end up lining internally. So the container gives you a structure, but that structure might prove quiet rigid in a The context of modern living. It may prove worth while where you have a suitable urban infill site..

Do note that looking to pretty examples in warmer climates is not much good to you in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think being constrained by the width is one thing. Condensation and cold bridging would be next.

Because of the general economic malaise you may find getting your hands on good ones a bit of a challenge: far fewer of them imported in the last 6 years. I'm pestered by people to sell the 1 that I use for storage.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Did some initial work for a design based on containers. Basic thing is don't do it for the purposes of saving money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 FilmMaker

Yeah. The more I look around the less options seem to be coming up. Nuts...

FilmMaker wrote: »
    Yeah. The more I look around the less options seem to be coming up. Nuts...

what's the attraction of you don't mind me asking ?

Mind you, I've seen these on the flesh and I think they're a brilliant use for them !! http://premiershippingcontainers.com.au/assets/images/Swimming%20Pools/Shipping-Container-Swimming-Pool-14.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FilmMaker

Wicked. I'm big into 'up-cycling' old bits and pieces and this is just a larger scale project. Also, I love the look of any of the houses I've seen online. Maybe I've just seen too many episodes of grand designs and am having notions. Entirely possible. I have priors.

the attraction of the pools is that if you get fed up with it, or move house.....you can bring it with you ! Or put it up on DD !:D

All it needs is a lead for power, and fill it with water. All plant etc contained inside a bulkhead.

See attached.

Video I took, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxsj3ecdrbe1e4n/20130417_160421.mp4

Ode To The Motorist

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

galwaytt wrote: »
    the attraction of the pools is that if you get fed up with it, or move house.....you can bring it with you ! Or put it up on DD !:D

All it needs is a lead for power, and fill it with water. All plant etc contained inside a bulkhead.

See attached.

Video I took, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxsj3ecdrbe1e4n/20130417_160421.mp4

love to see how much the water will cost to fill this come january :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

There's a pretty nice one in the Pavilion Garden Centre in Ballygarvan, Co. Cork if you are ever down that way. It's set up as a kind of garden room/conservatory. One of the long sides is fully glazed with sliding doors opening on to a garden, there are a couple of small windows on one of the small sides to improve ventilation. The floor looks like standard garden decking. The entire interior is sprayed with insulating foam, then painted, which looks better than you might think. I don't know who fitted it out but I'm sure the Pavilion could tell you.

The big issue I can think of is access, it mightn't be possible to drop them into some urban sites.

FilmMaker wrote: »
    looking for any experiences anyone has had with building a house with shipping containers in Ireland.
    It's set up as a kind of garden room/conservatory.
    The big issue I can think of is access, it mightn't be possible to drop them into some urban sites.
    the big issue i see, is complying with building regulations and getting someone to certify a shipping container house in Ireland in the present building control regulation fiasco

kkelliher wrote: »
    love to see how much the water will cost to fill this come january :)

Ha, true !

But today you could have filled it for free !!

315789.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I think tonights episode of Grand Designs features a house built from shipping containers, don't know if its in the north or not but the trailer last week showed some guy who may be the owner with a Tyrone or Armagh accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

They are building these "Homes" out of shipping containers...
    article-2242683-16579180000005DC-779_634x423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Yes was thinking the same and believe it's up north

...well now, that was certainly interesting. And only up the road, in NI as well.

It did turn out very well, but I can't help wondering at the sheer amount of steel added to the containers - 10 tonne+ - that you could have just built a steel portal frame instead. Either way, very impressive, and hat's off to the man.

Had to raise an eye at things like the stairs - open tread, and no banister on the outside one - the H & S freaks in RoI would have a field day with it. The veritable DC would run away screaming......

And he kept to the his timetable, which is equally important. Nothing worse than a project that just drags & drags.

Finally, cost. GBP£1000 per m2. Which, translated, is €1250 per m2. Don't forget we have VAT down here on building, so add that on and it comes to €1415 per m2.

Very cool though.

Ode To The Motorist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

Anyone else worried about the interstial condesation that will occur behind the spray on insulation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

...well now, that was certainly interesting. And only up the road, in NI as well.

It did turn out very well, but I can't help wondering at the sheer amount of steel added to the containers - 10 tonne+ - that you could have just built a steel portal frame instead. Either way, very impressive, and hat's off to the man.

Had to raise an eye at things like the stairs - open tread, and no banister on the outside one - the H & S freaks in RoI would have a field day with it. The veritable DC would run away screaming......

And he kept to the his timetable, which is equally important. Nothing worse than a project that just drags & drags.

Finally, cost. GBP£1000 per m2. Which, translated, is €1250 per m2. Don't forget we have VAT down here on building, so add that on and it comes to €1415 per m2.

Very cool though.

You have to consider though he did spend 12.5% of his budget on a bath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

DeeJunFan wrote: »
    You have to consider though he did spend 12.5% of his budget on a bath

He sure did take a liking to it but the price was a bit :eek:

RITwing wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about the interstial condesation that will occur behind the spray on insulation ?
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

...well now, that was certainly interesting.

Very cool though.

Didn't actually get to watch it last night, but i'm sure building control wouldn't have approved the stairs or signed off without a bannister on an open side. The fookers made me put up a single handrail on the wall side which cut across a window just because the stairs were 1100mm, had they been 1000mm then i wouldn't have needed a handrail. In fairness to the inspector he did say, well sure as long as it's there when i do my inspection and i have a photo of it for my records, well sure you never know what might happen it later on. It was down an hour after his visit, still cost me 200 smackers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Can be watched here for the next month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

Very cool though.

It was amazing - don't mean to nit pick what was a great peice of architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Very cool though.

Did you see the level of finish he got for that money? Absolutely high end, and 1450 sq/m is unbelievable value for that level of finish in a moderately sized. Exceptional value that can only be down to the type of structure used.

Galwaytt I think when attempting to clarify prices on houses built using alternative prefab building methods you should make it clear that you are a vested interest...

lownhard wrote: »
    Did you see the level of finish he got for that money? Absolutely high end, and 1450 sq/m is unbelievable value for that level of finish in a moderately sized. Exceptional value that can only be down to the type of structure used.

Galwaytt I think when attempting to clarify prices on houses built using alternative prefab building methods you should make it clear that you are a vested interest...

Most people here know what I do and if you click on my profile you'll see I don't hide it. It's public knowledge.

As for the price of the container build I haven't made any comment on whether it's dear or cheap. All I did was put out what the programme stated, in RoI numbers. The cost is more than West of Ireland costs, but less than Wicklow, in simple terms. Spec of individual items does skew it though. And that is confined to fit out items.

Next ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

That Grand Designs episode is on youtube now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2JJoQWAjq0 - i know dis is a bit late on this thread. just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Most people here know what I do and if you click on my profile you'll see I don't hide it. It's public knowledge.

As for the price of the container build I haven't made any comment on whether it's dear or cheap. All I did was put out what the programme stated, in RoI numbers. The cost is more than West of Ireland costs, but less than Wicklow, in simple terms. Spec of individual items does skew it though. And that is confined to fit out items.

Next ??

Course the big advantage that lad had was he didn't have to buy a site. Site costs is what could strangle ya for a type of build like that. Love to see one done down this end.

• Advertisement

Course the big advantage that lad had was he didn't have to buy a site. Site costs is what could strangle ya for a type of build like that. Love to see one done down this end.

Well I have a container at the bottom of my garden and I toy with the idea of doing something with it every now and then. ..

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement