Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

• 01-07-2014 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I have always thought this forum badly needed a thread about general discussion, many a time I would come in to discuss something (probably not a new thread worthy topic) and there was nowhere to discuss within the mega threads.

Reading this story of Owen Williams was frightening. It wasn't too long ago at all that poor Alex McKinnon was left paralyzed playing league.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/28091906
    The Cardiff Blues centre, who suffered a "significant injury" to his cervical vertebrae and spinal cord, was transferred by air ambulance at the weekend.

I hope the guy manages to walk and lead a normal life again, forgetting completely about the rugby. Thoughts are with him and his family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Midi Olympique say Waratahs head coach Michael Chieka is interested in taking over from Jacques Brunel in Italy after the World Cup.

• I'd love to see that happen.

Ruaidhri O'Connor ‏@RuaidhriOC So the last RWC place to be decided in Siberia on Aug 2 where Russia play Zimbabwe with Nigel Owens in charge. All a little surreal.

Our players set themselves some challenges with @Dyson equipment after training. Take a look http://bit.ly/1oJtOwI pic.twitter.com/csoGNYExJA

BsLEdDwIQAAa_Bk.jpg

Jesus he is in good shape, UNREAL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does he know the cost of those heaters? Just don't break 'em!!

• Advertisement

• I had a laugh at this. They used the airblades you'd usually find in a toilet as tackle bags

4t4QlrN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ouch.

Devastating news, not sure if it's been mentioned before. Thoughts are with his family.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11288749

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.ak wrote: »
    Devastating news, not sure if it's been mentioned before. Thoughts are with his family.

that is scary scary news !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I know it seems like one of those freak accidents that can happen in any sport but that is scarey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Glad he has turned up somewhere TV wise but as far as coverage of the Irish teams is concerned Sky would have been a much better fit. Ah well better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've really gotten into rugby lately. Glad I can hear BOD's opinion as I really respect him as a player. Just have to look out for some streams for this BT channel.

I've really gotten into rugby lately. Glad I can hear BOD's opinion as I really respect him as a player. Just have to look out for some streams for this BT channel.

The thing is he won't be covering much Irish rugby. Sky will have most games in the Champions Cup involving Irish sides. I think BT will at best have two games per province in the pool stage, maybe more in the knockout stages though. Sky, BBC and RTE are sharing the internationals and the Pro 12 is on Sky, TG4 and BBC. He will spend most of his time talking about the Premiership clubs I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

bilston wrote: »
    The thing is he won't be covering much Irish rugby. Sky will have most games in the Champions Cup involving Irish sides. I think BT will at best have two games per province in the pool stage, maybe more in the knockout stages though. Sky, BBC and RTE are sharing the internationals and the Pro 12 is on Sky, TG4 and BBC. He will spend most of his time talking about the Premiership clubs I'd have thought.

That could be why he went with BT. Maybe he didn't want to be commenting on guys that he recently played with especially as he is mates with a lot of them. He might have felt it would be hard to be objective talking about a Leinster team that he was in a few months ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That could be why he went with BT. Maybe he didn't want to be commenting on guys that he recently played with especially as he is mates with a lot of them. He might have felt it would be hard to be objective talking about a Leinster team that he was in a few months ago.

Or maybe he is just doing part time for the rugby challenge cup weekends. We are not really sure on his role as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

He should be great on Newstalk so... I'd wouldn't be surprised if he pops up on BBC during the Six Nations too.

I'm going to be cynical/realistic and say that BT just offered him a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

BOD tweeted very specifically about being a pundit with BT for the Champions Cup. That could be leaving the door open for him doing something with RTE/Sky for the Pro 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Teferi wrote: »
    BOD tweeted very specifically about being a pundit with BT for the Champions Cup. That could be leaving the door open for him doing something with RTE/Sky for the Pro 12.

As far as I know RTE are not covering the Pro12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I think Shaggy is a better pundit then BOD.

Shaggy is really good, albeit clearly a bit Leinster centric which is perfectly normal and no different to Quinny, Sheahen and Howe.

I've only seen BOD do it once or twice and I thought he was pretty good so hopefully he will do a good job.

I'm going to be cynical/realistic and say that BT just offered him a better deal.

Realistic I'd say!

Either that or Sky weren't interested but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Teferi wrote: »

As mentioned, RTE only have internationals this season, and there is no way BT would let him work for Sky.

I hope BOD rations himself, the last thing we want is Sheahan/Quinlan style media saturation of him.

The problem with BOD doing analysis on the Six Nations or any Ireland game this coming season is that the big story will be who plays 13 so hr is probably best to stay clear of that if you ask me.

He is, but in fairness he has a bit of practice. I think BOD will iron out the nerves and then he'll be grand. He's got a good bit of wit on his side which always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He should be great on Newstalk so... I'd wouldn't be surprised if he pops up on BBC during the Six Nations too.

You are probably right. I was just trying to put a nice spin on it :D

I would be curious to know if there was anything in his contract with BT saying he could or couldn't be a pundit on other networks. I could be wrong but Quinlan does RTE and Sky doesn't he??

You are probably right. I was just trying to put a nice spin on it :D

I would be curious to know if there was anything in his contract with BT saying he could or couldn't be a pundit on other networks. I could be wrong but Quinlan does RTE and Sky doesn't he??

Sky and RTE aren't in direct competition though, at least they weren't until Sky got the UK AI rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

BOD is media polished to within an inch of his life. Appearing on BT and/or Sky isn't going to change that. I think he'll be very bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads, what's on that NZ Herald link, it won't open for me at all?
    Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement