Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Volvo forums? (old thread)

• 16-03-2010 6:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I have been around the Volvo 'scene' for many years now, in particular the 480 - Europe site and of course the Volvo Owners Club in the U.K.

From looking at these sites a lot over the years it became apparent to me that there was room for an Irish forum, so I created one over the Christmas / new year. You can find it at: http://www.ivc.ie That stands for 'Irish Volvo Club', by the way :)

I seem to recall users on here with names like 'volvoman' and 'volvoboy', which does indeed suggest that there may be the odd Volvonian or two on boards! I hope that anyone with an interest in Volvo can find the time to stop by, and introduce themselves.

The aim is mainly to further the agenda of Volvo meetings in Ireland, and to generally promote a healthy and solid club in Ireland around this wonderful marque.

Regards,

Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good luck with the site!

I've included the Irish Volvo Club in the Irish Classic Clubs & Websites link in the sticky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Many thanks Unkel :)

It could probably do with a bit more work and hopefully won't get hacked lol!

Appreciate your support.

Regards,

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Thought Volvoboy was a Carina fanatic!:D

Best of luck with the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Tony, I genuinely admire you for your tenacity with the 480's. I had 2 480's in the early 90's.....the first one 88 d 10707 I think just was an abortion of a yoke....the elecs just killed me and the engine was either all go or not....I traded it in for a red one in huets and it gave good service.....The fuel guauges had a life of their own and the rear lights were a mare to replace if they got cracked.....they were glued into the body work from memory. Cant remember whether it had a 1.7 or 1.9 renault engine but it didnt light my life up......those 480's are a rare beast now and I spotted one a turbo in Carrickmines recently.

Best of luck....20 yrs later, still an eye catcher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Great to hear! The Volvo scene is extremely lacking in Ireland and needs to build up a bigger fan base, best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Bearcat wrote: »
    Tony, I genuinely admire you for your tenacity with the 480's. I had 2 480's in the early 90's.....the first one 88 d 10707 I think just was an abortion of a yoke....the elecs just killed me and the engine was either all go or not....I traded it in for a red one in huets and it gave good service.....The fuel guauges had a life of their own and the rear lights were a mare to replace if they got cracked.....they were glued into the body work from memory. Cant remember whether it had a 1.7 or 1.9 renault engine but it didnt light my life up......those 480's are a rare beast now and I spotted one a turbo in Carrickmines recently.

Best of luck....20 yrs later, still an eye catcher!

Used to work in Huets

The reason the rear lights were glued in was because water would get into the boot as the seals on the units were rubbish

@ Carchaeologist: Lol there are Carina fanatics out there?!!

@ Bearcat: Yes, I see the 480's essentially as sub - standard in ways. The water ingress is the worst part of it - perhaps that's why the electrics are so weird. In terms of handling, I've always found it to be great fun - though in 1.7 form quite underpowered ( 2.0 Turbo is the best of the lot imho )

A Volvo salesman once told me that the running joke was that the 'ES' part of '480 ES' stood for 'en suite'. Another story doing the rounds was that the two - tone was simply a 480 showing a water - mark! I've heard 'em all, from goldfish to welly jokes at this stage. A real missed opportunity the 480, if you ask me. I've found them a great car in so many ways, but also a bad car in so many ways.

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks and encouragement regarding the forums.

Regards,

Tony.

Hi everyone,

I've been quite happy with the progress to date with the club ... and many thanks to boards.ie and others for helping to get the word out. We're currently at 21 members and most importantly we're all still talking 6 weeks or so since launch!

We're planning a meet for Saturday 12th. of June in Roscrea to have a bit of drive, a bit of banter and some serious talk about where we go next in club terms. All are welcome, even if you don't actually own a volvo right now but have a longing for pristine green wellies and a dog grille, then this meet is for you!

Outline: http://www.wheelspin.ie/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6

Meet thread: http://www.wheelspin.ie/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51

Regards,

Tony

Lol I look at the views and see '440' ... spooky! Just letting everyone know that our maiden IVC meet is happening a week from today - Saturday 12th. June, at Rackett Hall in Roscrea (about 1.5 hrs. from Dublin)

For those staying at the Hotel we're getting a deal on double rooms (if sleeping one) - €59 per night, including breakfast. That's single room rate for a double room basically, as they've run out of singles.

The plan is meet, short scenic drive, meet again and discuss club business then have a bit of craic for the evening. You don't have to own a Volvo to come, serious Volvo tendencies will do :p

For more see the meet threads here: http://www.wheelspin.ie/viewforum.php?f=7

Hope to see a few of you along :)

Regards,

Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I turned up for this meet on Saturday and had a blast - there was a good selection of cars and genuinely nice people - the only problem was that everyone was so busy chatting that we had to cut the planned drive short.

Here's a few pics (not taken by me, unfortunately :p):

http://www.wheelspin.ie/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=84

There's another meet planned for Mullingar in September - worth keeping in mind if you own a Volvo or have fond memories of a Volvo you used to own.

• Advertisement

+1

A great day and a credit to all who turned up with interesting cars, '245' very much included. Thanks to everyone who kept the forums active and growing since it began a few months ago :)

Here's to Mullingar in September! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Hello Ahal i was trying to register on the volvo site, and although it said an email would be sent out to give me an activation code or something, i can't seem to get it. Then i discovered that i couldn't post here anymore as i have no idea what email i used for my old account so can't get the password, but anyway that's beside the point, any ideas on how i can get into the volvo site?

Hi Conrad,

Problem sorted and you're registered - pm sent :) Welcome aboard!

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

ahal wrote: »
    Hi Conrad,

Problem sorted and you're registered - pm sent :) Welcome aboard!

Tony
    yep got the message, sorted out now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hi everyone, is this it, I hope not, please let me know whilst I go trawling for more info, Foxy from callan

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom mo

Hi. I have spent a painstaking day looking for two 15 inch steel wheel rims with 4 bolts for my Volvo V40. I would greatly appreciate if there is anyone out there who can come to my aid please. I have been on to the Dismantlers with no sucess and have put it up on Part Finder and Find a Part websites. I am based in Malahide and can travel to collect. Thank you in anticipation. Tommo

Well Tom mo, it seems you are the only one to post in a year so don't hold your breath, unless there are some Volvo fans lurking in Ireland, failing everything else would suggest the English Volvo club which will be a good place for info etc. Good luck Foxy

Good morning Foxy. I hope you are well. Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to reply to my request for help. It is very much appreciated. Thank you also for your advice and direction. With the help of God I will find what I am looking for. I would also have imagined that there must be similar 15 inch wheels from other makers of cars which would suit my requirements. Thank you once again Foxy, take care, God Bless and continued success. Tommo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Here's a list of similar wheels that should fit

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/PCD/4x114.3/67.1/

Also remember that cars with alloys often have a steel spare wheel in the boot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'll look into this if I get a chance.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads for the support, so Tom mo we are not on our own as such, ple, ase keep us informed as to how you get on.
    I think the lack of older Volvo is a distinct draw back in Ireland and of course the sparse population hinders any attempt to form a club, unlike the UK.
    There was a couple of oldies down here in Dungarvan last year.
    Will try and keep posting from time to time, thanks again and good luck Foxy

Thank you hi5, macplaxton and Foxy for your help and support, it is very much appreciated, sincerely. I have managed to source a set of 15 inch alloys which are fit for purpose and my Volvo V40 is back on the road again this evening. May I take this opportunity to thank you once again for coming to the rescue. It goes to show that when you are in need there are always good people out there to come to your aid. I appreciate your help, genuinely. May I also take this opportunity to wish you all health, happiness and continued success. Take care and God Bless. Tommo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tview

Hi guys. I stumbled upon this site, while looking for Volvo forums in Ireland. Thought i'd just share this experience if i may. I bought a 2001 S60 two weeks ago. Got the car with the all familiar "hunting idle". After hearing some stories of rip-off repair costs, i took to youtube. With no mechanical experience, and with just the basic tools, i fixed my car this morning. My only expenses was the carburettor,and intake cleaner for 8,50e. She is running as smooth as butter. Cheers. Forgot to say, i had to remove the throttle body to clean it. A challenging job,but doable.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch but as you can see there is not a lot going on, however there maybe unseen viewers lurking, however in fairness I would direct you to the Volvo Owners Club in the UK, their magazine is full of interesting tips etc on a whole range of cars and their forum is second to none.
    It is a pity about Ireland and Volvo as the newer owners are not really true Volvo people, my opinion.
    Nice to hear from you and happy motoring regards Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 245GL

As the owner of a really fresh and original 1988 Volvo 245GL Estate I am interested in contact with like minded Volvo enthusiasts who might be able to guide me on parts, service etc. I hope to participate in outings. Kind regards, Ed Butler

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

7 years ...ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭JKerova1

245GL wrote: »
    As the owner of a really fresh and original 1988 Volvo 245GL Estate I am interested in contact with like minded Volvo enthusiasts who might be able to guide me on parts, service etc. I hope to participate in outings. Kind regards, Ed Butler

I don't know if there is much of a Volvo scene in Ireland, not like in the UK. This club never really got off the ground. There is an Irish Volvo Owners facebook page that is quite active and maybe that would be a good place to start getting info on parts, meetings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Any other clubs, in an attempt to cut down on the amount of cars I have I made have actually bought another.

Advertisement