Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts rule addition "brand new" - your thoughts please

• 11-07-2014 9:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We would like some feedback on how to define a new rule that says if you advertise an item as "new" or "brand new in box" then it actually has to be new - as opposed to something bought two years ago and "never used" or only "fired once".

Suggestions welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Definitely a good idea. Too easy to spoof how often it was really used

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

How do you define what is new? Someone could have an AEG for a month or so and used it for a skirmish or 2 and shooting out the back and cleaned it with a cloth. Someone else could have an aeg for a year and shot a hi cap through it before getting bored 20 mins later and put it back in the box. You could nearly be certain everyone has emptied a mag or 2 whether they bought new or second hand

Its a good idea as long as people abide by the rule and dont tell a load crap when selling something. Without receipts its hard to know how old an item is unless a particular model came out at a certain time.

One advantage of boards is being able to track the history of an item if it has been sold before and you can get an idea of what sort of stuff someone is selling or how much of a spoofer they are or arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Regardless of how little use a device has had, once it has left the retailer it is now Second Hand. If the OP only has it a month and has never fired it, it now has a month less warranty. If the OP has it 3 years and has never fired it, it now has no warranty and rubber seals may have hardened and need to be replaced adding extra expense. In my opinion ads should be limited to "As new/Like new, "x" amount of months old, "x" amount of warranty" Warranty has a value that is included in the price of a "Brand New" device and are posters going to offer warranty on a "Brand New" 3 year old device when looking for the same price as it can be bought in a shop?

Provide a title "AS NEW" and item MUST give approximate age.
    That covers all items like accessories which may be "new" and unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would only accept an item described as "Brand New" but it would have be still in its original box, still has ALL its box retaining clips or cable ties undisturbed and intact and is less than a couple of weeks old with a proof of purchase.
    Otherwise the term Brand New really cannot apply.
    If its been out of the box, fired or unfired, the best it can be is "Like New" because you have no idea what has been done to / with it.
    If its has Not been out of the box but its older than a couple of weeks, the the term "Un-Boxed" with its age should apply.

Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So - how do we define something as 'new'?

What caveats are needed to list an item as 'new'?

I'm thinking less than three months old and still has a retailer warranty. Which leads to this - do warranties transfer when you sell on?

For ease of modding, I suggest just using an "AS NEW" title. This does away with the need to come up with any Boards definition of NEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sardonicus

Potential minefield for the mods if you now need to micro manage the wording.
    There are certainly some misleading ads here tho and unless the buyer is experienced or aware of the potential issues - I can see a lot of people getting burned.
    The only thing I could see working is a form / format like is used in adverts where certain items are listed according to some basic laid down criteria...

It would probably have to be done through a drop down menu for the basic information and realistically is simply too much work for no return.

Basic criteria;
    Make
    Age of item
    Price
    Trades wanted
    Payment forms accepted?
    FPS (.2 g bb's)
    Number of previous owners
    Skirmished or plinking
    Item repaired or upgraded?
    Extras included
    General info (section for more detailed info on the items etc)

Its just a suggestion, and probably suggested before. I feel it nedds a template to work properly, but at least people have to think about certain basic criteria and need to answer truthfully to protect potential buyers (and indeed sellers). It will make it easier for people to report suspected misleading ads (where other users here may know the full facts about an RIF's history etc.

aka Defenderdude…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Steve wrote: »
    So - how do we define something as 'new'?

What caveats are needed to list an item as 'new'?

I'm thinking less than three months old and still has a retailer warranty. Which leads to this - do warranties transfer when you sell on?

1. If it's on boards, it's not new and this has been my rule of thumb for years ;)

2. Caveats = too many to list :pac:

3. Some warranties do transfer and others do not (based on terms of original sale), it's the seller who should know which and all buyers should ask in any case :rolleyes:

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I would only accept an item described as "Brand New" but it would have be still in its original box, still has ALL its box retaining clips or cable ties undisturbed and intact and is less than a couple of weeks old with a proof of purchase.
    Otherwise the term Brand New really cannot apply.
    If its been out of the box, fired or unfired, the best it can be is "Like New" because you have no idea what has been done to / with it.
    If its has Not been out of the box but its older than a couple of weeks, the the term "Un-Boxed" with its age should apply.

Just my 2 cents.

se conman wrote: »
    For ease of modding, I suggest just using an "AS NEW" title. This does away with the need to come up with any Boards definition of NEW.

+1 for "as new" or "like new" or "nearly new" and yes, let's keep it simple as there are enough definitions already :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm thinking that we just outright prohibit the use of "new" in the description would be the fairest way to go.

As pointed out, it's a forum for second hand gear after all - "never used" or "bought a week ago" would be fine but it still does not = "new"

The only exception would be for a retailer posting on a wanted ad offering a genuinely new item per the last rule change.

• Advertisement

Slightly ott but could the use of "clearout" be restricted also

Back ot. Banning new seems like the best approach

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ApexAirsoft

Un-opened / Wrong Gift / Un refundable for watever reason, Tht is a Brand new gun.

Un-opened / Wrong Gift / Un refundable for watever reason, Tht is a Brand new gun.

Unless it's in a sealed wrapper I don't think you could call it new.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭I Armour I

I think brand new is an incorrect term for anybody to use as it, by definition, is new by the brand. For instance, if a scorpion Evo went up for sale, it's technically brand new, but "new" would need to meet criteria that second hand gear just doesn't, like still sealed in box, and/or receipt showing proof of recent purchase. Otherwise it's a false description.

Words like mint condition or recently released/purchased or used x amount in y time frame are better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Over thinking things here guys. If its never been shot then its new. Deciding if its new based on having left the shop is crazy. The retailer may have had it sitting there for months..... All a retailer is, is a merchandise pusher. New in the literal sense would mean point of manufacture, if we want to be picky.

Advertisement