Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Cake Controversy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I read it as an another trumped up reason to play the discrimination card.:rolleyes:

You would though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

A Jewish butcher doesn't refuse to sell pork sausages, he doesn't stock and sell pork sausages in the first place. How can he refuse to sell something that isn't part of his stock?

Whisko wrote: »
    A Jewish butcher doesn't refuse to sell pork sausages, he doesn't stock and sell pork sausages in the first place. How can he refuse to sell something that isn't part of his stock?

But surely this bakery didn't stock gay eggs, flour or sugar which one would need to bake a homosexual cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mackerski wrote: »
    I have yet to see a bakery capable of having opinions on the existence or otherwise of deities. So the Christianity of this bakery must mean something else. If it, for instance, means that they only employ Christians then I would find that very suspicious. Because equality law is supposed to prevent that kind of situation.

There is equality law. But there is no SSM law. So in the North SSM is not given equality with man woman marriage. As I said before it would be bizarre if a shop was prosecuted for refusing to put a political slogan on a cake when the parliament of the country has rejected that political campaign in a democratic vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

folan wrote: »
    if we allow cakes to marry, what next?

How do you think mini cakes are born?

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    How do you think mini cakes are born?

Did you never hear of a bun in the oven?

You are completely ignoring the decisions of the elected parliament. They voted three times on Sinn Fein proposals to introduce SSM in the North and the majority was against on each occasion.

The US legislatures legislated for slavery.

Is personal freedom not still a human right?

As I said I have a few friends who are gay and their sexuality is never even in the topic of conversation, but if its right in my face, then yes, I don't like it.

Most gays I have met are aware it can cause discomfort in others and they maybe restrain themselves a little. Which in itself is not right at all, but thats how it is. I know we are progressing and it is more and more acceptable, but things require time to change.

I do not hate gays, or anything ridiculous like that, I just do not like to see two men kissing, it gives me the boke!

Is "the boke" a euphemism for an erection?

The US legislatures legislated for slavery.

Is personal freedom not still a human right?

Why stop at SSM. What is wrong with polygamy? Or arranged marriage of children to adults? The NI state is entitled to regulate marriage in the way it has been done for decades and it is not necessarily against someones human rights if it is not extended to their relationships. It is a political matter which is very new all around the world and there are differing views. When there is a majority elected who will legislate for it then it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A cake???

Anyone else sick and tired of their constant whinging?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    A cake???

There would be no issue if the shop just did their job....

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    A cake???

Bakers?

I know.

JUST MAKE THE YUMMY STUFF AND SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY!

Why stop at SSM. What is wrong with polygamy? Or arranged marriage of children to adults? The NI state is entitled to regulate marriage in the way it has been done for decades and it is not necessarily against someones human rights if it is not extended to their relationships. It is a political matter which is very new all around the world and there are differing views. When there is a majority elected who will legislate for it then it will happen.

You need to be told the difference between SSM and froced child marriage. :confused:

Consenting adults is clearly not equivelent to forced marriage or pedophilia where there's a victim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The letter said that they broke the law by refusing to provide a service based on the sexuality of the customer. They didn't, they refused to create a custom item for a customer, which had nothing to do with what sexuality the customer might be - hell, they could well have been straight. They won't lose in court.

You need to be told the difference between SSM and arranged or child marriage. :confused:

Consenting adults is clearly not equivelent to forced marriage or pedophilia where there's a victim!

Arranged marriage is quite common worldwide between children and adults. It is done for economic reasons as was the arranged marriage system with dowries which existed here in the past. Most systems forbid consummation until the child is of age.

Ah the old polygamy red herring.

The basic nature of polygamy - a commitment made between one person and multiple other persons - ain't the same as monogamous marriage - a commitment made between one person and one other person.

The basic nature of same sex marriage - A commitment between one person and one other person - is the same as heterosexual marriage.

So allowing heterosexual marriage but not same sex marriage results in two different groups (heterosexual and homosexual) being treated differently in the same or readily comparable circumstances - which is inequality.

As a general principle, inequality is wrong and in many cases unlawful.

allowing monogamous marriage but not polygamous marriage doesn't result in inequality - as you are talking about two different situations to begin with.

So polygamy has nothing to do with same sex marriage.

But back to my point, just because something is voted in, doesn't mean it's not wrong or even unlawful.

Arranged marriage is quite common worldwide between children and adults. It is done for economic reasons as was the arranged marriage system with dowries which existed here in the past. Most systems forbid consummation until the child is of age.

So?

It's clearly different than consenting adults even if sex is off the table. Same as any other forced non-consentual marriage. Why even draw a comparison?

Ah the old polygamy red herring.

The basic nature of polygamy - a commitment made between one person and multiple other persons - ain't the same as monogamous marriage - a commitment made between one person and one other person.

The basic nature of same sex marriage - A commitment between one person and one other person - is the same as heterosexual marriage.

So allowing heterosexual marriage but not same sex marriage results in two different groups (heterosexual and homosexual) being treated differently in the same or readily comparable circumstances - which is inequality.

As a general principle, inequality is wrong and in many cases unlawful.

allowing monogamous marriage but not polygamous marriage doesn't result in inequality - as you are talking about two different situations to begin with.

So polygamy has nothing to do with same sex marriage.

But back to my point, just because something is voted in, doesn't mean it's not wrong or even unlawful.

"Traditional" marriage was developed to regulate the production (for want of a better word) of children and the inheritance of property. SSM, if children are to be produced, would always involve an outsider in the parentage. That child or those children could claim inheritance rights from their natural fathers/mothers. SSM is a different thing to man woman marriage.

And we all know how seriously Yemen and Co take the protection of young girls so I'm sure the rules against consummation are strictly enforced. Sure wouldn't it be barbaric and outrageously backward to permit the sale of children otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Daith

"Traditional" marriage was developed to regulate the production (for want of a better word) of children and the inheritance of property. SSM, if children are to be produced, would always involve an outsider in the parentage. That child or those children could claim inheritance rights from their natural fathers/mothers. SSM is a different thing to man woman marriage.

That's your key word there. Ireland allows people to have children without being married and for married couples not to have children and still remain married.

Anything else you posted could well apply to any couple who adopt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I like cake.

Yes, "traditional marriage" was for that purpose. Thankfully we have moved so far away from "traditional marriage" that the current institution is almost unreconsibale for "traditional marriage."

I mean, we now let women choose who they marry, work, refuse sex and divorce their husband, never mind husbands not being allowed kill their wife and kids for any variety of trivial "offences."

Yes, "traditional marriage" was for that purpose. Thankfully we have moved so far away from "traditional marriage" that the current institution is almost unreconsibale for "traditional marriage."

I mean, we know let women choose who they marry, work, refuse sex and divorce their husband, never mind husbands not being allowed kill their wife and kids for any variety of trivial "offences."

But "we" haven't moved as far as SSM either here or in the North yet. It is currently against the law in both administrations as it is in most of the world.

But "we" haven't moved as far as SSM either here or in the North yet. It is currently against the law in both administrations as it is in most of the world.

And slavery was legal. So?

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it should be. Just because something isn't doesn't mean it should.

In any event NI still has civil partnerships so we can still have gay wedding cakes (unless you want to be a spoil sport pedant and insist it be called a civil partnership cake - but that doesn't sound very tasty).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Daith

Except for the referendum next year?

Leaving aside this bloody cake issue the lack of SSM in Ireland doesn't mean that people can discriminate based on sexuality. So I'm unsure of the link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

bluewolf wrote: »
    What a load of sh!te
    A LGBT activist targetted a christian bakery.
    It's a CAKE

Exactly, anything to create a little controversy by these crowd.

And slavery was legal. So?

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it should be. Just because something isn't doesn't mean it should.

In any event NI still has civil partnerships so we can still have gay wedding cakes (unless you want to be a spoil sport pedant and insist it be called a civil partnership cake - but that doesn't sound very tasty).

And there are probably hundreds of cake shops where you could buy one. The political campaigner chose the one which takes it's name for the Bible and whose owners have in the past refused to supply cakes which they thought were unsuitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wait, the bakery had already stocked gay Bert and Ernie cakes???

Daith wrote: »
    Except for the referendum next year?

Leaving aside this bloody cake issue the lack of SSM in Ireland doesn't mean that people can discriminate based on sexuality. So I'm unsure of the link.

If it is discrimination by the cake shop then it is also discrimination by the NI state which rejected SSM legislation. Ironic since it is the NI state which funds the Equality Commission which received the complaint about the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

i like cake

Advertisement