Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I see Bruxelles is getting another makeover. The walls were stripped last night in preparation for redecoration. Apparently the bar is being moved back to where it was the last time at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Passenger wrote: »
    I see Bruxelles is getting another makeover. The walls were stripped last night in preparation for redecoration. Apparently the bar is being moved back to where it was the last time at the back.

Really? Why bother. Don't understand this

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fadegirl

Ah this list makes me sad.. Im from Mayo and the closest place for me to go is Galway. :/ Always need to find a place to stay etc. :/
    Plus where im from i dont know anyone who likes music like i do. So i end up traveling all the way to galway/Dublin by myself.
    Last time were in Fibber Magees in Dublin. Its a really nice place. Loved it <3

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

Are there any decent metal bars or clubs in Cork? heading there for a weekend in Aug and wouldnt mind checking the local scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    Are there any decent metal bars or clubs in Cork? heading there for a weekend in Aug and wouldnt mind checking the local scene

I think Fred Zeppelin's is supposed to be good, I've never been but I know people who frequent the place occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

fadegirl wrote: »
    Ah this list makes me sad.. Im from Mayo and the closest place for me to go is Galway. :/ Always need to find a place to stay etc. :/
    Plus where im from i dont know anyone who likes music like i do. So i end up traveling all the way to galway/Dublin by myself.
    Last time were in Fibber Magees in Dublin. Its a really nice place. Loved it <3

Heh, yeah and there's f-all in galway so I do a similar pilgrimage up to dub :pac:

Fibbers is always decent any time I go

Pool tables, jukebox and beer, what more can you ask for really?

Fibbers is always decent any time I go

Pool tables, jukebox and beer, what more can you ask for really?

Less emo children wandering around?

Less emo children wandering around?

Nowt wrong with a bit of jailbait

Im partial to a bit of 17 year old treacle that's worth a poke

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

cheers, will def check out Fred's

• Advertisement

Nowt wrong with a bit of jailbait

Im partial to a bit of 17 year old treacle that's worth a poke

*shudder*

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Did they ever exorcise that awful toilet smell from Fibbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Did they ever exorcise that awful toilet smell from Fibbers?

Not sure they will ever fully get rid of it, but its certainly not as bad as it used to be. It's gotta be in some sort of proximity to a major sewage pipe or something.

I don't like the fact that Fibbers is now populated by twats from the Living Room and Murrays

I don't like the fact that Fibbers is now populated by twats from the Living Room and Murrays

I think Fibbers credentials as a Rock Bar have taken a major hit as there's rarely any Rockers in the place anymore unless there's a high profile Metal gig on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Better than the Fibbers in Galway, went in there before and they had a dj doing a dubstep set :pac:

Might have been Korn's last album :pac:

Angron wrote: »
    Better than the Fibbers in Galway, went in there before and they had a dj doing a dubstep set :pac:

They have weekly events for that in Fibber Magees now too as well as other club nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

They have weekly events for that in Fibber Magees now too as well as other club nights.
    Yeah, I went back there for the first time in a while, man it has changed completely.
    It's not the fibs of 5-10 years ago that's for sure.

I for one miss the fibs on ormond quay aswell, I spent a good few nights there.

I guess at a certain period Fibbers mismanaged their Saturdays and took on the Techno night to keep busy. They have what have only been described to me as "Hungarian Raves" downstairs too, which some of the rockers who sneak down say are actually fun.

Can't say it sounds like my thing but whatever people are into :)

• Advertisement

The newly decorated Bruxelles is complete now. The bar has been moved to the back wall and on each side are table booths. Gone is the Black goth-tinged decor and in is a worn wood panel decor. The jukebox has been reinstated too and overall it's pretty tidy but not too enamored by the table booth layout as it makes floorspace more confined when the bar is busy. The jacks have also been improved as they moved the cubicle so it's much bigger now.

Also of note is the prices have dropped too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

The newly decorated Bruxelles is complete now. The bar has been moved to the back wall and on each side are table booths. Gone is the Black goth-tinged decor and in is a worn wood panel decor. The jukebox has been reinstated too and overall it's pretty tidy but not too enamored by the table booth layout as it makes floorspace more confined when the bar is busy. The jacks have also been improved as they moved the cubicle so it's much bigger now.

Yeah I was there the other night actually.
    €5 a pint is not so bad after 11, it used to be more expensive. Although O'Hara's was 6.60...

Not a fan of the new decor at all, looks more like a coffee shop than a rock bar with the wooden booths.

Have they retained the same dj's?

Have they retained the same dj's?

Most of them anyway.

Most of them anyway.

UGH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They've put it back where it's supposed to be, so?

#feelingmyage

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Was in it last night myself for one.

I hate the new decor.

And craft beer menus littered around the place?

GTFO.

It reminded me of the Simpsons episode when Moe revamps.

The bar flys lamenting about him removing the dank as that's what made it.

Exactly the same with the new old look.

Plus it's too bright by far.

2 thumbs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Was in Bruxelles meself last night decent I thought that's it, bar is prob in a better spot, they took out pool table and didn't c a jukebox, decor scandalous with the lighting it used to be prob too dark sometimes so can't win with it, you'd lob some money over the counter for pints but they do have a decent selection (O'Haras,Sierra Nevada,Trooper Ale,Chimay;to name a few). D.J's prob from same list this time round was the lad from Primordial enjoyable enough but tunes past '94 or so forget about it!

Madness if they're gonna persist with that lighting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was in there last saturday for the first time in id say well over a year. I like the new downstairs bar and with pints only €5 which is great to see. Although the middle bar is not as cheap .

Also they played Steel Panther " Asian Hooker " which made me very happy. Pity i had to leave early at 1:30 because a friend was too tired :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement