Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Szent István University - Veterinary MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

I am not sure about Svent but other colleges in europe have bio and chemistry entrance exams which you must take to be accepted into the course. Have a look at the two sites below, they have some good information which might help you.

http://www.ims-medstudy.com/_Veterinary_Schools

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=196

• Registered Users Posts: 1 quino17

Hi!

I'm applying to Budapest as well! I'm absolutely terrified for it?!

There's meant to be loads of Irish outside there but I'm worried I won't be able for the workload.

Does anyone have any info on accommodation?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KG1995

Hey! Iv'e applied as well :)
    Have any of you gotten the entrance exam date yet??
    I really hope I get in!! Budapest is such a gorgeous city!! If I get in Im thinking of setting up a facebook page for our year group :P Im glad someone set up this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 infoplease

I recently got accepted for the veterinary course in Svent Istvan and will hopefully be starting next September 2014 , I am looking for roomates if anyone is interested please feel free to pm me . Thank YOU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BellamysPiano

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask, did you find out through email or what form of contact was made to you?

• Advertisement

I've applied to start in september 2014 and am planning on doing the entrance exam/interview in May. Just wondering what sort of questions they ask in the interview?? Also who takes the interview? Any help or opinions is much appreciated! I don't want to be caught off guard! Thanks!

Hi thank you :) , I found out through email and will soon receive a letter in the post , if you ask the rep Tim either he will let you know asap ,.

About the interview and exam I am not sure sorry :( I got accepted as a transfer student.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 McLivestock

300 euro a month will cover you for your apartment & bills. Another 250-300 will cover your food/general bits and pieces. As regards accomodation look up roommatesbudapest and search for an apartment, or use an agent such as qed property or homemanagement.hu, both are very helpful. Any other questions send me a pm and I'll try and answer them

Hey guys :) I have been accepted for 2014 and also would like to get to know a few people going over so please feel free to pm me :) thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Hey guys, my cousin is studying there at the moment. The workload is intense and the failure rate is high, be prepared for lots of chemistry. Lecturers aren't too nice either.

• Advertisement

Okay so entrance exam is in two weeks today! Final question as I really want to get this right :) Anybody have and ideas on how formal your dress for the interview should be? Any examples for what something appropriate to wear would be? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kate parcell

Hi I've just been accepted into Svent Istvan , so i'm looking for somewhere to live close to the uni. It would nice to be able to share with some other vet students so pm me if you're interested or if you know of any rooms to rent. cheers x

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

How much per month would you need to live as a student in Budapest?

I know this depends on how you want to live, but say student living at an average level.

I got accepted in yesterday and have made a facebook page for people going into the school in 2014 :) Its called Sent Istvan Freshers 2014 so feel free to give it a like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

threads merged

When you folks start at Szent Istvan will you please come back and tell us all about it? :) Every hear this forum gets a lot of enquiries looking for first hand experience, and you'll be the people to give it come late 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nolimits12

Hey guys!

So Im just finishing my first year here at Szent Istvan. All I can say is I love it! Yes the workload is intense and if you feel you're not up for having an exam every week before starting an intense 6 weeks exam period, then all I can say is back out now! Otherwise, its totally worth it.

The university campus is amazing, we have really good facilities and lecturers that if you show interest in their subject, are more than happy to help you. Youre placed in the ''international'' class, the majority of the class are being Irish.

Hmmm I cant really think of what else to say off the top of my head. If anyone would like to pm me to ask me anything please go ahead. Im happy to help :D. Last year talking to someone out here really helped me feel comfortable with the decision.

@nolimits12 how much, roughly, do you need as a budget for living there on a monthly basis. I read somewhere it is €600 but I suspect that doesn't include books clothes etc

Also, did you get accommodation when you arrived for the start of term or did you go out before the term started?

Thanks

300 for rent and I'm spending 300 per month for food and living. But I'm not the best person at budgeting to be honest, you could definitely live on less than that! My gyms 55 a month too..
    Books you can buy photo copy versions of everything here and every year shares e books between them too. So I wouldn't factor that in as an expensive cost. Plus the only books you need are for anatomy anyway.

I had my accommodation sorted by the end of July. But I was lucky as I spoke with my roommate and she went out to Buda before hand to sort it so I didn't have to. I'd suggest taking time out to check out a few flats here.

@Nolimits12 The application requires HIV and Hep B testing negative. did you have to do this also, it seems extreme for a College application?

Also, it says:

*International Vaccination card should be attached.

What vaccinations are needed, do you remember?

Murray007 wrote: »
    @Nolimits12 The application requires HIV and Hep B testing negative. did you have to do this also, it seems extreme for a College application?

Also, it says:

*International Vaccination card should be attached.

What vaccinations are needed, do you remember?

Whatttt? I dont remember the application form saying anything like that? I did have to get a doctors certificate to say I'm eligible to study here. So maybe head to your doctors and have a chat with them?

But honestly, its not a big deal to leave that out and sort it out when you're here in person. There was people in my class that didn't even include passport photos in their application (do this! as you need them for your black book)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Firefly1950

I'm just after finishing up 5 years at Szent Istvan. Give me a shout if you need and I will try answer as best I can

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

I studied in Budapest last year on Erasmus and loved the city. The uni work wasn't stressful at all, I did engineering though and not medicine. I made a blog about my time there if you guys want some more insight, I had some friends at the Semmelweis too including a Spanish girl doing Medicine whom I asked about her experiences in the link below

My Blog

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rach_b123

Hi, I just got accepted to the school to start in September 2014 and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to try and get in touch with any others starting this year who would be willing to share a flat? I don't really want to be living by myself when I don't know the area/speak the language. I tried looking for the Facebook group mentioned earlier but I can't find it :( any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

Rach_b123 wrote: »
    Hi, I just got accepted to the school to start in September 2014 and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to try and get in touch with any others starting this year who would be willing to share a flat? I don't really want to be living by myself when I don't know the area/speak the language. I tried looking for the Facebook group mentioned earlier but I can't find it :( any ideas?

There are definetly groups try searching facebook for erasmus budapest 2014 2015 or something like that, from there you can try find Irish members, if not then try roommatesbudapest.com/ to find flatmates and a flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Firefly1950

It is not a big problem to go out to Budapest without accommodation sorted. Book a cheap hotel for a few days, you will have a place sorted in no time.
    There are loads of people at registration that will also be in the same boat, there will be lots of notices up in the university and at college international. Also, if you search the internet too and have viewings of apartments arranged for when you get over there.
    I would look for apartments in district 6 and 7. But try to avoid around Keleti train station, not that it's particularly dangerous or anything, its just quite noisey! So try streets like - Eotvos, Csengery, Rosza, Izabella, Vorosmarty, Sziv, Kiraly, Dob...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Is it possible to avail of the free fees initiative if you study a full time undergraduate degree abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 farosway

yoppo wrote: »
    Is it possible to avail of the free fees initiative if you study a full time undergraduate degree abroad?

Nope, no such thing as free fees in any college outside of ireland. If your an undergrad and meet the requirements you will get a maintenance grant, about 300euro a month from SUSI!

It is not a big problem to go out to Budapest without accommodation sorted. Book a cheap hotel for a few days, you will have a place sorted in no time.
    There are loads of people at registration that will also be in the same boat, there will be lots of notices up in the university and at college international. Also, if you search the internet too and have viewings of apartments arranged for when you get over there.
    I would look for apartments in district 6 and 7. But try to avoid around Keleti train station, not that it's particularly dangerous or anything, its just quite noisey! So try streets like - Eotvos, Csengery, Rosza, Izabella, Vorosmarty, Sziv, Kiraly, Dob...

If anyone is looking for accomodation my apartment will be free from september on, 5 min walk from college!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

farosway wrote: »
    Nope, no such thing as free fees in any college outside of ireland. If your an undergrad and meet the requirements you will get a maintenance grant, about 300euro a month from SUSI!

According to this it should apply, no?

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

• Advertisement

No that website is not clear on studying abroad. I have been fighting with SUSI over this for ages. I have sent in lots of appeals, I went to a solicitor, and my local TD's etc and they all say fees will NOT be paid outside of ireland. Its an absolute disgrace. If I was a foreigner coming to ireland to study I would be eligible for every grant going. This country is pathetic, wont even look after the nationals. Ring SUSI directly for more info but that website is really not clear.

Advertisement