Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Deliberately Mislead/Scam Others

• 05-07-2014 1:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Bit of a rant here but anyway.

Was out in my Nannys today and was talking to my uncle, he bought a new computer, thought fine, not sure why you need one when you've no internet but anyway!

Asked him where it was and he said it was in the computer repair shop because he wanted them to put some songs on it for him!

The guy in the computer shop said it would take a long time and he'd be done with it next week and was gonna cost him €60!

So I told him to go back to the shop and say you've changed your mind because your nephew is doing it for you.

So off he went and he came back maybe 20 minutes later with the laptop and said the guy in the shop told him not to come back again!

So long story short, I saved my uncle €60 and am currently in the midst of installing Windows updates 54 out of 165!

People like that, who will intentionally mislead someone else for their own benefit drive me mad...

Surprised he didn't say the laptop had loads of viruses of it and the hard drive died....

So have you ever dealt with anyone like that?

I need some witty AH type answers too please, stop me from going demented...

/Rant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What os you running on the laptop?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What os you running on the laptop?

Windows 8, trying to install Windows 8.1

Windows 8, trying to install Windows 8.1

8.1 is a disaster.

8.1 is a disaster.

The first time I tried to install the updates it said it couldn't apply the changes and it rolled back.

I haven't even downloaded Windows 8.1 yet.

I have to download/install all the Windows 8 updates first before even getting Windows 8.1!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

He didn't force him to go to the repair shop. As minuscule at the job may be, it's still a job and takes time out of the man's day to put songs onto it. Pricey but still, your uncle should be more cautious about accepting quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I know what you mean op. my nannys going senile. Its a daily worry that people would scam her without a second thought. Some really nasty people out there.

Btw, fair play to your uncle. He's dead right to try stay with the times. Nothing sadder than seeing old people lost and left behind in a world thats totally alien to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

You need to go break some legs OP, show em who's boss.
    Can't be dealing with people like that

The first time I tried to install the updates it said it couldn't apply the changes and it rolled back.

I haven't even downloaded Windows 8.1 yet.

I have to download/install all the Windows 8 updates first before even getting Windows 8.1!

How many hours will you be at this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

60 quid. Probably 2 hours labour for the shop guy. About right. Maybe.

Regarding the internet, you could save your uncle even more money by hacking into one of his neighbours broadband.:pac:

He didn't force him to go to the repair shop. As minuscule at the job may be, it's still a job and takes time out of the man's day to put songs onto it. Pricey but still, your uncle should be more cautious about accepting quotes.

It's true but my uncle knows nothing about computers.

You could ask what's wrong with your car and he'll know the ins and outs of every bit of it but he probably wouldn't have a clue about the basics of a computer.

I'm just stating how easy some people are willing to scam others who aren't in the know.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    60 quid. Probably 2 hours labour for the shop guy. About right. Maybe.

Regarding the internet, you could save your uncle even more money by hacking into one of his neighbours broadband.:pac:
    Laughed at this part.

Their only neighbour is my auntie.

You have to go outside to make a phone call.

Eircom said they can't even get internet there.

Also, when I was registering for the Asus warranty it told me to put in valid information... Apparently where my Nanny lives doesn't exist!

How many hours will you be at this?

65 of 165 so far and these aren't even all the Windows 8 updates!

Lucky tomorrow is Saturday, I'll tell you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Was he downloading or ripping the songs onto the pc?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Was he downloading or ripping the songs onto the pc?

Ripping, I did it for him.

Took a bit of time to be fair but the software was already on the computer!

My Gran got a 500 euro quote for gutter cleaning. Luckily she rang the family to see if this was anything like the going rate, because she just didn't know. Got someone to do it for 40 euros.

People who scam the elderly are pure evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I would agree that you should always ask around before accepting a quote on anything at all. Your uncle didn't think to do this so in that sense he was a bit vulnerable walking in to that shop.

I also agree that you're not paying for what the repair person physically does to the computer, you're paying for their time. (Although €60 to put on a few songs absolutely does not sound accurate in the slightest.)

At the same time, the guy in the shop told him not to come back to the shop again? What an absolute as_hole. That's enough evidence for me that he's untrustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,561 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Bit of a rant here but anyway.

Was out in my Nannys today and was talking to my uncle, he bought a new computer, thought fine, not sure why you need one when you've no internet but anyway!

Asked him where it was and he said it was in the computer repair shop because he wanted them to put some songs on it for him!

The guy in the computer shop said it would take a long time and he'd be done with it next week and was gonna cost him €60!

So I told him to go back to the shop and say you've changed your mind because your nephew is doing it for you.

So off he went and he came back maybe 20 minutes later with the laptop and said the guy in the shop told him not to come back again!

So long story short, I saved my uncle €60 and am currently in the midst of installing Windows updates 54 out of 165!

People like that, who will intentionally mislead someone else for their own benefit drive me mad...

Surprised he didn't say the laptop had loads of viruses of it and the hard drive died....

So have you ever dealt with anyone like that?

I need some witty AH type answers too please, stop me from going demented...

/Rant

yip yip yip

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88090280&postcount=135

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88090538&postcount=136

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106789&page=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

If your uncle is a mechanic/knows his stuff around engines type guy he probably done it to plenty of people when fixing cars lol,mechanics are lethal for scamming people.
    The way of the world now,you don't get far if you don't screw everyone around you,specially in any of these type of jobs because there isn't much business so when u catch a job you have to maximize it.

Candie wrote: »
    My Gran got a 500 euro quote for gutter cleaning. Luckily she rang the family to see if this was anything like the going rate, because she just didn't know. Got someone to do it for 40 euros.

People who scam the elderly are pure evil.

Wow that's crazy...

So she saved herself €460 just by asking someone else to do it for her...

Would shock ye the things people try to chance.

• Advertisement

Certain solicitors are well known to mislead and scam clients of property and other assets.

gctest50 wrote: »
    yip yip yip
    M'kay that's slightly off topic but still.

Yeah what I did was horrible, really bad abusing it like that.

But I used my several email addresses later on and got codes for people who missed out anyway.

But besides that why are you bringing up ancient threads?

amkin25 wrote: »
    If your uncle is a mechanic/knows his stuff around engines type guy he probably done it to plenty of people when fixing cars lol,mechanics are lethal for scamming people.
    The way of the world now,you don't get far if you don't screw everyone around you,specially in any of these type of jobs because there isn't much business so when u catch a job you have to maximize it.
    Never really thought of that :pac:

Doubt he has done but you never know.

Yeah I know someone who was quoted €20 per tyre to change her tyres.

She went to another place up the road and they did it for €2.50 a tyre :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

amkin25 wrote: »
    I have worked as a mechanic for people like that before. Some of the carry on sickened me. One of them was bragging in private about paying off his 500k house in 5 years. The same sort of cnut who would pay the bare minimum in tax too.
    There's no excuse for it.

gctest50 wrote: »
    yip yip yip

Never knew Horatio Caine was on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Chiropractors

Advertisement