Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

surf buddies limerick

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, im suzy and i have just moved to ireland, living in limerick at the moment. I am looking for surf buddies in limerick to go surfing to surrounding areas. i am an intermediate surfer and would like to go surfing once or twice a week at least, we can share travelling expenses. I am also looking for information on surfing in surrounding beaches if you are interested. I learnt to surf in ecuador and peru in 2008 so I can provide you with information about surfing there just in case you are planning to surf longest lefts in the world. message me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Plenty of surf in Clare but twice a week is kinda optimistic, especially in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 14 suzy66q

so does it get more consistent in winter? how often do you reckon swells come? There are lots of beaches in ecuador and peru where you can surf pretty much everyday. I dont mind small waves but surfable. thanks

This site will give you an idea how consistent lahinch is

http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/photo-gallery-271255cm1.html

Look at the conditions for each day, in the past few months

The navy wam charts are a good site to keep tabs on incoming swells

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/index.html

Click on North Atlantic and sea state, look for wave heights

And match these swells with wind by using forecasting sites like wind guru or xcweather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wouldn't call myself a surfer as, with college and other things, I haven't been near the coast for months, but am keen to get an excuse to revisit the water for the umpteenth time.
    I am not sure I could get down twice a week, but will see....
    I'm in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 makalas

I would be very happy to take someone with me as well to share expenses.

If you are ready to wake up early as I usually leave limerick 6 in the morning to make most of it and comeback before 2pm to work ;) (of course it depends on the tide too) we could share the waves :)

My favourite place is Lahinch as its closest

• Advertisement

hey! its really great to get that many replies, and so fast too. Am definitely looking forward to a sess..

seems like there wont be anything in lahinch this week, guess there was something small these past days and nothing until next thurs. seems like that weekend will be getting good!

makalas, im happy to get up at six for waves :) usually have time during the week, I work weekends. I brought my wetsuit but not my board, its expensive to bring one so I guess ill have to start board hunting so we can be ready for next swell?? but even if i dont have a board i guess i could rent one. cant wait to get my arse in the ocean hehehe pm me

lets all go for the next swell seachto7!!

pm me

Watch out for sneaky swells, looks flat on forecast sites and blue on the wams for the coast but plenty of swell further out

Monday was a classic example of this

nothings more accurate than living right next to the beach.. did you surf monday rodento? do you live there?

suzy66q wrote: »
    nothings more accurate than living right next to the beach.. did you surf monday rodento? do you live there?

Na live in Dublin and surf when ever I can, which ain't often

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a facebook group " surfboards for sale in Ireland" that often has good selection of boards for sale

• Advertisement

hey! its really great to get that many replies, and so fast too. Am definitely looking forward to a sess..

seems like there wont be anything in lahinch this week, guess there was something small these past days and nothing until next thurs. seems like that weekend will be getting good!

makalas, im happy to get up at six for waves :) usually have time during the week, I work weekends. I brought my wetsuit but not my board, its expensive to bring one so I guess ill have to start board hunting so we can be ready for next swell?? but even if i dont have a board i guess i could rent one. cant wait to get my arse in the ocean hehehe pm me

lets all go for the next swell seachto7!!

pm me

That suits me suzy66q. We'll see what next week brings as for this it's only sunshine. I have spare longboard to share if it's any good for you even if waves small and there is a chance to get into the water.

I surf longboard myself aswell. My level of surfing probably is lower than yours but it is always good to have someone to learn from ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I was talking to someone who lives by a beach in Co Clare
    He told me sometimes it can be flat and there's no swell forecasted, and he could be looking out at the shoreline, the next thing it fire's up for an hour or two then flattens off again.

Something similar happened with me yesterday evening, flat out the next thing it was a great session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Think your female status may have something to do with the responses Suzy :D

Watch out for them Clare boys, they're dirty feckers :pac:

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Think your female status may have something to do with the responses Suzy :D

Watch out for them Clare boys, they're dirty feckers :pac:

Haha well said ;) but travel money is important these days as well :D

Keep an eye on charts midweek, could be good in clare or kerry but no promises at this stage

Could do with a session, im suffering from withdrawal symptoms lol

seems like its getting good at the weekend if anybody is up for a surf. have been looking at boards on donedeal and swellseekers as well.. but will have a look at the fb one ted. surf thurs? anybody?

seems like its getting good at the weekend if anybody is up for a surf. have been looking at boards on donedeal and swellseekers as well.. but will have a look at the fb one ted. surf thurs? anybody?

Would wait to see what the winds do, and also check the cams Thursday morning if the winds are light easterlies northerlies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

a stand up paddling board would have been good this week....

• Advertisement

went to lahinch today.. its tiny tiny but nice to be in the water!! brandon bay looks bigger!! thanks makalas. drove to spanish point and nothing there either.. but could see how it forms and how good it will get when its bigger.. loved it.. beautiful gorgeous setting also... sigh

went to lahinch today.. its tiny tiny but nice to be in the water!! brandon bay looks bigger!! thanks makalas. drove to spanish point and nothing there either.. but could see how it forms and how good it will get when its bigger.. loved it.. beautiful gorgeous setting also... sigh

If you went to Doughmore you would have had an epic session,, some people tonight said it was their best evening ever there.
    4foot set's rights and lefts. ...glassy

got a board now, ready for the swell. if anybody wants to go, pm mee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Wheres best this weekend guys?
    Fecking wind looks to be ruining it. Anywhere in Cork kerry be sheltered enough?

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Wheres best this weekend guys?
    Fecking wind looks to be ruining it. Anywhere in Cork kerry be sheltered enough?

This is a handy site

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Makes grim viewing but portrush looks class on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 21 polar58

Hey, I'm another stuck on the east coast but I try to head west once a week or every second week sometimes, I usually go to Strandhill, Lahinch or Spanish Point. With the odd over nighter!
    I'm only an improver but would be happy to meet up with a few other people if there also heading out alone!
    I usually go midweek because I work shift work and have a few days off during the week and there is usually feck all out so its great!

omg its pumping!! and no one to bring me to the beach!! is anyone going tomorrow morning.. pls!!!!! then there is nothing all week... will share travel expenses

omg its pumping!! and no one to bring me to the beach!! is anyone going tomorrow morning.. pls!!!!! then there is nothing all week... will share travel expenses

Have you tried bus's

• Advertisement

can i bring a board on the bus?

how about the bus that goes into the city centre? :D

Advertisement