Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Predator (reboot)

• 24-06-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Shane Black to write and direct.
    Black will write the treatment for the project, then will hand over scripting duties to Fred Dekker, his university chum with whom he wrote 1987’s Monster Squad. Black will oversee the writing and is also attached to direct.

There's no word on the extent to which the new film will tie into the existing franchise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119877

EDIT: New film now described as an "inventive sequel" rather than a reboot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The original is too much of a cult movie for this to be anything other than ......bleugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

You can stop it after 7 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Guarantee the rock will be in this.

This is a film that doesn't need to be made.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I enjoyed Predators and Shane Black has never put a foot wrong imo so I look forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Meedah

sugarman wrote: »
    Wasnt Predators a reboot:confused:

No, they even discussed the events of the first Predator movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd quicker see a sequel with Arnie in it than a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'd quicker see a sequel with Arnie in it than a reboot.

A pure "cash in" stop remaking classics?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Would prefer to see them carry on from Predators and explore more of that world than start from scratch again.

Honestly the fact that it's Black and Dekker, (look how well the names go together) means that this could be something rather special. Both seem to understand genre film making in a way that they can both poke fun at and pay respect at the same time and both understand that in this type of film the only thing that really matters is making it fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Anybody else know of someone who has directed and written a reboot/sequel having starred in the original? "Starred" is very loose but he was an actor in it.

I wish he'd revisit Kiss kiss bang bang maybe not the characters per se more the style and feel of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This what happens when enough people don't see original sci-fi movies like Edge of Tomorrow. (ok not an original, but a rather obscure adaptation) a Ripping Good Yarn as persuasively and fully possible, that it's far more rewarding as broad entertainment and as an emotional investment than virtually anything else that gets released these days

The drawers of Hollywood are filled with the stillborn remains of thousands of movie scripts, that have yet to be filmed and could be made on the cheap.

That's right they get turned into tv shows (as with the tech now they can be made relatively cheaply) because everybody is so numb to marketing in every aspect, that no film can be made on the cheap and make profit because all revenue is swallowed by having to plash all the cash and scream just as loud as the rival marketer beside you

Predator was once an original idea too, not anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I 'd like to see a Predator movie set in the distant past. Pirates of the Carribean: Predator Boogaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Predator: Resurrection ;)

If it is a reboot (and not just Another Predator Film), it's hard to see why They'd need to start over. It's not like the series is that continuity-heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Didn't Shane Black's girlfriend have a really big pussy? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Didn't Shane Black's girlfriend have a really big pussy? :pac:

Why did you say that twice?

Ipso wrote: »
    Why did you say that twice?

I didnt.... cause of the echo

... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A reboot tends to imply all the important mythology will be restarted, usually tweaked in some way. In this instance I can't help but wonder: what mythology? Whilst I love Predator as one of the quintessential action films of the 80s - heck I even love #2 with it's OTT comicbook approach - the Predator isn't that interesting as a creature or concept, nor has a wealth of backstory worth exploring or rebooting. The creature sits alongside the Terminator / Skynet, that they made for fantastic antagonists in their day but there's not a whole lot beneath the surface to keep them that compelling. All that said, Shane Black makes this project appear much more interesting than at first blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Anybody else know of someone who has directed and written a reboot/sequel having starred in the original? "Starred" is very loose but he was an actor in it.

Jack Nicholson directed The Two Jakes, which was a sequel to Chinatown - a film he starred in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    A reboot tends to imply all the important mythology will be restarted, usually tweaked in some way. In this instance I can't help but wonder: what mythology? Whilst I love Predator as one of the quintessential action films of the 80s - heck I even love #2 with it's OTT comicbook approach - the Predator isn't that interesting as a creature or concept, nor has a wealth of backstory worth exploring or rebooting. The creature sits alongside the Terminator / Skynet, that they made for fantastic antagonists in their day but there's not a whole lot beneath the surface to keep them that compelling. All that said, Shane Black makes this project appear much more interesting than at first blush.

Plenty of mythology in the comics and that but not really in the films at all yeah. I always found the whole honour system thing interesting and thought it could be explored a bit more.

Anyway, I would rather this be a quasi sequel like Predators was than a straight up reboot, as you said it's not like there's an over arching storyline for them to really build on in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I enjoyed Predators and Shane Black has never put a foot wrong imo so I look forward to this.

What about Iron Man 3 ,that was a terrible film.

The only Predator film worth watching was the first one,its a masterpiece.
    The rest are poor.

I respectfully disagree. :)

The only Predator film worth watching was the first one,its a masterpiece.
    The rest are poor.

Iron Man 3 isn't bad, in fact it's rather good even if the whole Pepper Potts stuff is cringe worthy. Black is the kind of film maker who knows his genre cinema and has a knack of being able to poke fun at them while at the same time paying homage to the greats without it ever feeling like a rip off.

I've always enjoyed Predator 2, it's a fun lil film with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. Predators was also a pleasant enough distraction, the set up was great and while the film didn't do a whole lot with it, it was still good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Iron Man 3 isn't bad, in fact it's rather good even if the whole Pepper Potts stuff is cringe worthy. Black is the kind of film maker who knows his genre cinema and has a knack of being able to poke fun at them while at the same time paying homage to the greats without it ever feeling like a rip off.

I've always enjoyed Predator 2, it's a fun lil film with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. Predators was also a pleasant enough distraction, the set up was great and while the film didn't do a whole lot with it, it was still good fun

I hated Iron Man 3 ,it was childish cartoonish drivel and Downey Jr was hamming it up too much.
    The whole panic attack thing was laughable ,trying to be serious yet phoning in his acting performance.

I liked the first Iron Man 3 film ,it had charm but the second and third were very poor films .

Predator 2 wasnt too bad ,it did have some good bit but the casting of Danny Glover at the lead was poor and the second half of the film was very weak.

I hated Iron Man 3 ,it was childish cartoonish drivel and Downey Jr was hamming it up too much.
    The whole panic attack thing was laughable ,trying to be serious yet phoning in his acting performance.

I liked the first Iron Man 3 film ,it had charm but the second and third were very poor films .

Predator 2 wasnt too bad ,it did have some good bit but the casting of Danny Glover at the lead was poor and the second half of the film was very weak.

I had issues with Iron Man 3 but wouldn't blame Black for them, after all he was pretty much a yes man for Marvel. They were the ones in charge of the film but there were still some nice Black touches. The kid in particular was really well done and felt like one of the kids in The Monster Squad, which is still the best kids film ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Don't see the point of a reboot. Why not just make ANOTHER Predator movie. It's not like there's an overbearing continuity that has to be tip toed around. Naturally the memory of the AvP movies should be wiped out/ignored.

Trying to wrap my head around this reboot idea. I mean, the predator 'universe' is so vast. If they wanted to set it in America in say 1725, they could (Predators have been coming to earth for hundreds of years as revealed at the end of predator 2) They can also set the story on any world. Thanks the Predators (2010)

So going by what they have set up so far... they can set a Predator movie on any world. In any time. They can tell ANY story they want. So why the reboot? :confused:

Unless.... they want to change the design and nature of the predator. Which would be so stupid. But that would be a "reboot" - PSSSSH Hollywood!

It does say that no details have been released regarding how much it will tie in with other films so it might not be a complete "reboot" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's Shane Black so it'll be a Predator movie set at Christmas. And I'm fine with this notion :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Ipso wrote: »
    I 'd like to see a Predator movie set in the distant past. Pirates of the Carribean: Predator Boogaloo.

Why not? - it's a far better concept :)

Predator Vs Spartan Warriors.

Predator Vs Roman Legionnaires

Predator Vs Cuchulainn !

Predator Vs Pirates

Predator Vs Germans/Allies in WW1

TBH I'd rather watch any of them than a current day reboot with the muscles of the day as lead...

Advertisement