Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going MultiSat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

So collected the dish today and hoping to have it installed next week. It looks big! I'm trying to convince the missus it won't look as big on the wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

So collected the dish today and hoping to have it installed next week. It looks big! I'm trying to convince the missus it won't look as big on the wall..

Yeah, good luck with that.

What you need to realise when it comes to dishes is that women see them bigger than what they are (funnily men see them smaller).

It's a strange phenomena but one of life's truisms all the same.

radiowaves wrote: »
    Yeah, good luck with that.

What you need to realise when it comes to dishes is that women see them bigger than what they are (funnily men see them smaller).

It's a strange phenomena but one of life's truisms all the same.
    Thanks one more question there's a tiny rust spot at the top of the dish, can you paint the dish and if so do you need special paint?

Thanks one more question there's a tiny rust spot at the top of the dish, can you paint the dish and if so do you need special paint?
    Oh and BTW there are four quad alps lnbs on the dish. What would be best to aim for? One for 28.8 and the other 3 at? Also can I add a saorsat lnb to it and are they expensive?

Ok, I said I'd report back, so:

I have added an Ultra Black to the 42East position.

I have also (for good measure) added an Ultra Black to the 45 position (to aid the weaker signal on 46East).

Obviously this is a 3 degree spacing and there are now 3 Ultras sitting on 45, 42 & 39.

As expected the improvement on the weaker signals is immense and is making a huge difference.

The first image shows those 3 - working left to right 45, 42 & 39.

The second image shows 19East, 16East, Hotbird & Saorsat.

Again, Wave advise a 4.5 degree spacing between sats - this is not necessary. And the narrow head LNBs are only necessary in extreme circumstances but I'd advise against them unless absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement

Oh and BTW there are four quad alps lnbs on the dish. What would be best to aim for? One for 28.8 and the other 3 at? Also can I add a saorsat lnb to it and are they expensive?

See my post above in relation to Saorsat.

A Saorsat LNB will knock you back in the region of €30.

Assuming you're going for that spot the other two spots are no-brainers - Hotbird and Astra 1.

Apart from 0.8West, the other spots would be more described as mainly enthusiast :D

But the answer to this naturally depends on what you want, what you have to access the channels or what subscription you're most interested in.

If, for example, you're interested in sports feeds other sats would be advisable (STB would be more of an expert on this sort of stuff and whether the feed signals would be achievable on your Wave).

You'll find your 4 spots will just whet your appetite and you'll be purchasing the parts necessary to add other sats in no time.

A 16way disecq would future-proof your install if you want to keep it looking tidy.

If you have black Ultra LNBs I wouldn't "waste" them on the three spots mentioned, keep them for the fringe satellites because just about any half decent LNB will pull in Hotbird, Astra 1 & Astra 2/Eutelsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well I dont know about being an expert radiowaves, but I do experiment with viewing link frequencies. Its handy for non broadcast events and mildly interesting for seeing stuff that goes on in the background, prior to broadcast.

If micks_address is going to put a KA LNB on 9E, that will block that postion for 9E/10E Ku. 10E is used a lot for links by broadcasters.

If you are interested in Links then 23.5E, 7E and 0.8W are used quite regularly by EBU broadcasters. Up to date links are posted on satelliteweb

I don't even know what links are :) I might not bother with saorsat as have a saorview aerial
    STB wrote: »
    Well I dont know about being an expert radiowaves, but I do experiment with viewing link frequencies. Its handy for non broadcast events and mildly interesting for seeing stuff that goes on in the background, prior to broadcast.

If micks_address is going to put a KA LNB on 9E, that will block that postion for 9E/10E Ku. 10E is used a lot for links by broadcasters.

If you are interested in Links then 23.5E, 7E and 0.8W are used quite regularly by EBU broadcasters. Up to date links are posted on satelliteweb

I don't even know what links are :) I might not bother with saorsat as have a saorview aerial

Then you dont need Saorsat. Saorsat only has RTE Channels & TG4. 3E and TV3 are not on it.

Links are the outside broadcast units you see outside football stadiums/music events/sports events/ horse racing events/news reports. In order to get the signal back to the station that broadcast the event, they use obscure satellites. You can access those links with your dish, if you have an LNB at that position and manually search the frequency on the links posted on satelliteweb. If you have a receiver with Blindscan then you can also do it yourself.

I presume your satellite box has diseqc capability.

Yes solo 2 box
    Then you dont need Saorsat. Saorsat only has RTE Channels & TG4. 3E and TV3 are not on it.

Links are the outside broadcast units you see outside football stadiums/music events/sports events/ horse racing events/news reports. In order to get the signal back to the station that broadcast the event, they use obscure satellites. You can access those links with your dish, if you have an LNB at that position and manually search the frequency on the links posted on satelliteweb. If you have a receiver with Blindscan then you can also do it yourself.

I presume your satellite box has diseqc capability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

It looks big! I'm trying to convince the missus it won't look as big on the wall..
    lol
    They always look bigger in real life. :D Hope you have a sheltered site for that wall mount. That dish will take a hell of a loading in a gale.

What sat's you want would depend upon your interests and what exactly is openly available to you.

Best of luck with the project.

Well its going on the back of the house, here's a picture.. red circle proposed position of t90 versus existing sky dish.. will take down the sky dish to help toward peace keeping..

I was asking my installer about using the LNB on the T90 and he was saying it might not fit?

There's 4 LNB on it anyway so going with 19, 13, 23, 28 for now I think.. :)
    lol
    They always look bigger in real life. :D Hope you have a sheltered site for that wall mount. That dish will take a hell of a loading in a gale.

What sat's you want would depend upon your interests and what exactly is openly available to you.

Best of luck with the project.

Well its going on the back of the house, here's a picture.. red circle proposed position of t90 versus existing sky dish.. will take down the sky dish to help toward peace keeping..

I was asking my installer about using the LNB on the T90 and he was saying it might not fit?

There's 4 LNB on it anyway so going with 19, 13, 23, 28 for now I think.. :)

Which LNB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You are a brave man putting it up that high .
    Is the house sheltered on the west side ?

The dish will be partly visible out the 2 windows ,its 110cm wide,a sky dish is ~70cm .
    I'd put it down a bit lower if it was me.

Sorry , the quad lnb thats on my sky dish - he was saying it might not work on the t90?
    radiowaves wrote: »
    Which LNB?

I might not go so high, the gap between the two windows shoud be big enough to accomdate without shadowing, picture probably a bit misleading..

Might align bottom of dish with top of black plastic pipe shown in picture
    Zardoz wrote: »
    You are a brave man putting it up that high .
    Is the house sheltered on the west side ?

The dish will be partly visible out the 2 windows ,its 110cm wide,a sky dish is ~70cm .
    I'd put it down a bit lower if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I might not go so high, the gap between the two windows shoud be big enough to accomdate without shadowing, picture probably a bit misleading..

Might align bottom of dish with top of black plastic pipe shown in picture

Yeah,that would be better I think

Sorry , the quad lnb thats on my sky dish - he was saying it might not work on the t90?

He may be right, Sky use a different fitting.

I've never tried it myself so couldn't advise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky lnbs fit OK into a 40mm collar (just some insulating tape needed around lnb to pack it out).
    A 40mm lnb won't fit into a sky lnb holder.

Hi folks

Hoping to get the t90 installed this evening..

Just wondering - the 'Thor' beam you refer to on the thread - what SAT is that on?

I am going for 19, 13, 23 and 28, and if he can put the lnb from the sky dish on the t90, what would be the next best one to go for?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Thor is 0.8w.

Left to right looking at the dish is obviously 28, 23, 19, 13, 0.8W

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hi folks

Hoping to get the t90 installed this evening..

Just wondering - the 'Thor' beam you refer to on the thread - what SAT is that on?

I am going for 19, 13, 23 and 28, and if he can put the lnb from the sky dish on the t90, what would be the next best one to go for?

Cheers,
    Mick

Use the sky lnb for one of the strong satellites, ie 28east

Also not sure your location but the Nordic beams on 1 west and 5east will be too weak for you also.
    When I was in mayo even 7east was a struggle with a 1.1m (serious rain fade)

My favourite SATs are: 20w, 15w, 12.5w, 5w, 4w, 1w, 9e, 13e, 19e, 23.5, 26e, 28e and 42east.

Luckily I'm in middle east Europe, so my Nordic beams, Amos 4w, all 42east are the strongest I get. Only beam I cannot get is uk freesat 28 east.

Thor is 0.8w.

Left to right looking at the dish is obviously 28, 23, 19, 13, 0.8W

Hi Guys,

Dish install nearly finished, will post pics later if the rain stops

In relation to thor - installer asked me which transponder am i interested in so he can check with his meter?

Thanks,
    Mick

Hi Guys,

Dish install nearly finished, will post pics later if the rain stops

In relation to thor - installer asked me which transponder am i interested in so he can check with his meter?

Thanks,
    Mick

There's virtually no FTA there mate, what card have you got?

You will also lose the Scandanavian HDs in any sort of wet weather (if you can get them at all).

If you have no cards, I wouldnt leave it on Thor 0.8W.

I would move it to 7E. You can then try out the Outside Broadcast links. There are some links frequencies used on Thor but not as many as 7E which reguarly has horse racing (ATR & Racing UK) and football games on it.

Hi Guys,

Up and running since last night, will take pictures tonight and post

On .8W, 13, 19, 23, 28

I have to say the install of the T90 takes a long time! Credit to the guy who did it for me, he was about 3 hours Tuesday evening and 3 hours yesterday getting everything right. I would never ever have been able to do it.

He reckoned he could have installed a 1 metre motorised dish in one hour..

We had an interesting discussion about Inverto LNBs.. he had one with him and a titanium dual line lnb, he put both on the dish with his meter at .08w and no difference in signal strength. He reckons its a bit of a myth that the Invertos are better?

Anyway I think i need to take a language course now.. if i could speak german, italian, french and spanish i think i'd be well on the way.. Did a scan of the sats and hve something like 4k channels now

Of course not may are FTA

Anyway thanks for all the help and advice - are there any android phone apps that will tell you what matches etc are on which channels when the footie is in season?

Cheers,
    Mick

He is wrong about the Inverto Black Ultras. I have two and it a noticeable +10% jump on an enigma meter.

The soccer site for the channels are http://liveonsat.com/quickindex.html

The ones that are free to air with be marked in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Hi Mick

What sat did he centre the dish on?

you can get this app for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=difed.soccersat to find out what channels sports are on (uses LJs whats on Sat)

Hi Mate,

I'm not sure?

I dropped you a pm

Cheers,
    Mick
    kingtiger wrote: »
    Hi Mick

What sat did he centre the dish on?

you can get this app for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=difed.soccersat to find out what channels sports are on (uses LJs whats on Sat)

• Advertisement

Seconded on the Inverto LNBs - it has been mentioned a few times throughout this thread by a couple of us (and on other threads - run a search).

I wouldn't trust any installer who wasn't aware of the advantages in using them (although to really see the benefit they should be tried on a weaker satellite).

I am now happily watching glitch-free channels across the arc that I routinely used to lose in rain.

From getting nothing on 7.3W I can now pull in a number of channels!

Advertisement