Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

delos wrote: »
    I see they have patched this in the latest update :)

Patch didn't work I'm afraid....
    beauf wrote: »
    I like this battery app. You can set it so the tile changes colour to reflect battery state

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=5dceaa39-8477-43f2-8499-91e816767517

+1
    I have a paid for Battery app which is full of bells and whistles but in the end, I only use Semenov's. Simple but effective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Wordament Snap Attack just launched. Played for a little bit and it's another very addictive title. It's free too, so go grab it!!

LINK - sorry, forgot to include this initially!

d9e15fba-e829-4698-a8be-e70ee8a7d4f4?imageType=ws_screenshot_large&rotation=0c27f2f9f-d47f-4067-968a-b5ed38d2b8d4?imageType=ws_screenshot_large&rotation=0

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Power Check

Displays the ESB's power outage data on a map. Tap on a map pin to see the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gipo3

theothernt wrote: »
    Power Check

Displays the ESB's power outage data on a map. Tap on a map pin to see the details.

Better than official android app

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Better than official android app

Thanks, both the Android and iOS are not native... and therefore not that good ;)

Other than showing the outages on a map, what features would people like to see in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭ablelocks

camcard - take and store photos of business cards and save info to contacts. Very good app

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks, both the Android and iOS are not native... and therefore not that good ;)

Other than showing the outages on a map, what features would people like to see in the future?

Be nice if one could report a fault...

Be nice if one could report a fault...

There is no way for the app to report a fault (even the official apps can't) but I will try and make the options in the app clearer - thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I see this app now listed Suggestion Box

The Windows Phone Suggestion Box app allows you to provide feedback and make your voice heard to the teams building the Windows Phone application platform. Suggestions provided via the Windows Phone Suggestion Box forum and this app will be reviewed by the Windows Phone team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how customers are using Windows Phone.

Key Features:
    - This app connects your Windows Phone to the Windows Phone Suggestion Box forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

6tin is out

re-release of 6inder by Rudy Huyn. if you fancy a bit of tinder ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I need a new music player, I hate xbox music. I need something with a good playlist function

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd love if bus/dublin bike apps would let me find the bus stop/bike stand, by road name, or the map or stop number. Also I don't always want to only look at the stops, stand near me. Sometimes I want to plan my route before I get there, set up favorites etc.

+1 on the music app. I don't know why they can't make a simple easy to use one. Of course its because they are pushing xbox music store.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

I'd love if bus/dublin bike apps would let me find the bus stop/bike stand, by road name, or the map or stop number. Also I don't always want to only look at the stops, stand near me. Sometimes I want to plan my route before I get there, set up favorites etc.

+1 on the music app. I don't know why they can't make a simple easy to use one. Of course its because they are pushing xbox music store.

Have you checked out Bus Nearby? That can do what you need it for, including favourites, except for planning your route. Journey Planner will plan your route and has real time info. Etc

Unofficial GAA

Looks good and it works!

I think show some difference on map between faults and planned outage

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I think show some difference on map between faults and planned outage

I'll be adding that feature soon, thanks for the suggestion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

WPcentral news app is free for 36 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

The NTA and Transport For Ireland Journey Planner is now available as a Windows 8 app for PCs and touchscreen laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭NTC

WPcentral news app is free for 36 hrs.

Fo you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭NTC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The NTA and Transport For Ireland Journey Planner is now available as a Windows 8 app for PCs and touchscreen laptops

Not for mobile when you might need it most?

Edit.

JUst down loaded it a Lumia 630. Installed fine, tried a few journeys and all good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Mint Sauce wrote: »

it is available on windows mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Mint Sauce wrote: »

It has been out a while on windows phone actually.

Check out "Journey Planner" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=f2f29435-baa1-4d63-8263-4993ecc4ab13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

unkel wrote: »
    Aerize Explorer

Finally a free file explorer that works! Get it while it is still free!!!

Must have 8.1 installed

Microsoft have released an official file explorer:

Files

Requires 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Wacom Bamboo Paper App released for Windows 8.1 - premium features are free for ltd time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

On a scale of 1 to 10, I am a 0 regarding mobile technology but delighted I came across this thread. A number of questions, can anyone assist please?

1. When I got my lumia 520 (I think that is the number) I was suprised to see that Dublin Bus could not be downloaded as an app.( i since found out today there is another app Bus Nearby which I downloaded today and will try out in due course)

Something about not supported by windows -something like that. Maybe something about android?

Can anyone make sense of that for me? Why do i get messages saying this app is not suitable or supported by windows. I thought all apps could be downloaded if you wanted them?

2. This is a big issue for me. In the homescreen with all those tiles I am desperately disappointed that the day is written so small, the date somewhat bigger BUT NO TIME. Is it possible to get those details enlarged on the homescreen but especially the time. As it is the time is so so small top right hand side I rarely can make it out.

3. Also, the tile that shows those apps? So today included was Met Eireann update. But I already have met eireann as an app so what is this updating business about? Do I need to re-install it or what?

4. No booklet to go with the phone!

Remember I am a novice here, so please take it easy
    and thanks in advance.

bobbyss wrote: »
    1. When I got my lumia 520 (I think that is the number) I was suprised to see that Dublin Bus could not be downloaded as an app.( i since found out today there is another app Bus Nearby which I downloaded today and will try out in due course)

About the bus apps. There is no official Dublin Bus app, but the transport agency did release their Journey Planner and more of their apps should be on the way...

http://www.transportforireland.ie/journey-planner/about-journey-planner/

I make the Bus Nearby app, so if you have any questions about it, fire away.
    Something about not supported by windows -something like that. Maybe something about android?

Can anyone make sense of that for me? Why do i get messages saying this app is not suitable or supported by windows. I thought all apps could be downloaded if you wanted them?

It's all about money and market size. Apps cost money to make. Making an app for each platform costs more money. And a lot of companies won't make Windows Phone apps because the market share is still too small. This is probably what you're seeing - over time is it getting better. For apps, stick to what's in the Store and if you're not sure about an app, feel free to ask for advice here.
    4. No booklet to go with the phone!

A lot of phone don't come with manuals. They either have apps or websites to show you how to use the devices. In the list of apps, look for a Help + Tips app or visit... http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp-support

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thank you theothernt.

When I am in the Dublin region soon i will try it out.

One does feel left behind with technology what with fancy names names and all that. What is needed is a plain mans guide to all this stuff presupposing very, very little knowledge. That is why I asked for the booklet when I bought mine and was suprised when told there was none. A lot of people -even those better versed than me- are not using their phones' full potential because they don't know how.

Suprised too when purchasing it how little staff knew about the phone. A lot of humming and hawing. Surely if you work in carphone etc your job should be to know everything about the phone you are selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Just use Nokia Here Apps...

Advertisement