Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research A Soldier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Again thanks for the info Johnny.

Patrick returned to Ireland in the early '30s.

What I am really interested in now if trying to find out where in France he may have been and what sort of action he may have seen, and if there are any more sources out there that puts him in a particular place at a particular time.

He died when I was a baby, but my mother always said that he never talked about the war, which is understandable because I'd imagine it was horrific, so we have no oral knowledge of what he did in France in the family.

From what you posted it looks like the 306th were in Calais from April until early June 1918.
    From my layman’s reading of his record it looks like he was with the Supply company of 306 until May 26th.
    After that he was '3 Co Hq Bn Army Serv C to disch', but I cannot figure out what that means
    Was he at the front ?, away from the front ?

Adler's The History of the 306th Infantry online looks to be an interesting read to get an idea of what the 306th did, but as I said earlier I did not see his name on the roll,

Was it possibly because he was ''3 Co Hq Bn Army Serv C'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

''3 Co Hq Bn Army Serv C'

Any chance of a scan or photo of the original text?

I read this as 3 Company Headquarters Battalion Army Service ?? but not sure that this is correct - the US tended to use letters for companies rather than numbers (B rather than 3 perhaps?). Even then, unsure about it.

If you can find the Google book version of "The World War I Memoirs of Robert P. Patterson: A Captain in the Great War", Patterson was in charge of the HQ Co 306th Infantry. Suggests that Supply Company sailed on the SS Karoa from Boston on the 13th April. No mention of Ryan but gives a breakdown of the organisation of a Division, Regiment and HQ Company. The following also gives the breakdown of the 77th Division

http://www.longwood.k12.ny.us/history/upton/vic2.htm

Elverton Clair Crandell of the HQ Co, 306th was killed in action in October 1918. If Patrick was with HQ Co, 306th then he would have been under fire at some point.

Some nice photos/drawings/maps from this booklet from the 77th Division 302nd Engineers

http://net.lib.byu.edu/estu/wwi/PDFs/302nd%20Engineers.pdf

Nothing specific coming up re Patrick Ryan unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

'After that he was '3 Co Hq Bn Army Serv C to disch', but I cannot figure out what that means.'

He served in 3 Company Headquarters Battalion [Army Service Corps?] right up to his discharge - that is, when he was discharged from the service.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

[IMG][/img]IMG_20140621_133642_zpstlqnhnyc.jpg

L/Cpl Becker J, 7739, Royal Irish Regiment, 3rd Bn. Died 01/06/1917.

Buried in St Mary's Cemetary, Carlow. Good to see his headstone has been cleaned up and i ve noticed a poppy was placed on his grave last year.

How would i find out more information about him? no family connection but just curious. I haver found out that he served in 3bn RIR and that this bn was retained in Ireland during WW1.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

On Ancestry, I found the service records for 2 different John Beckers from Carlow but not your guy. Other references to him but nothing that you can't already find on Google. The following says that he died at 'home'.

Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914-1918

John Becker
    Birth Place: Carlow
    Death Date: 1 Jun 1917
    Death Location: Home
    Enlistment Location: Carlow
    Regiment: Royal Irish Regiment
    Battalion: 3rd Battalion
    Number: 7739

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Ponster wrote: »
    On Ancestry, I found the service records for 2 different John Beckers from Carlow but not your guy. Other references to him but nothing that you can't already find on Google. The following says that he died at 'home'.

Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914-1918

John Becker
    Birth Place: Carlow
    Death Date: 1 Jun 1917
    Death Location: Home
    Enlistment Location: Carlow
    Regiment: Royal Irish Regiment
    Battalion: 3rd Battalion
    Number: 7739

Cheers for that. I asked around and there was some suggestion that he was involved during the 1916 rising on the british side. For a long time his grave was neglected and the headstone was in v poor condition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Here is a Becker family in Carlow, with 79 year old Christopher, an Army pensioner, so good chance that it's the correct family. No other Beckers in the 1911 census attached to the military.

AFAIK the 3rd Bat. stayed in Ireland for the duration of the war and Google found a site which said that he died of natural causes but there was no source for the info.
    3rd (Reserve) Battalion
    August 1914 : in Clonmel. A training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war. Moved within a few days of declaration of war to Dublin. In September 1916 moved to Templemore (Co. Tipperary) but by the end of 1917 was back at Dublin. In April 1918 the bn moved to England and joined Irish Reserve Brigade at Larkhill.

There is a death record for a John Becker who died at the age of 45 in 1917 in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭enfield

Lance-Corporal John Becker, 18th Royal irish Regiment, of Pollerton Road, Carlow, died of Dysentery in Tipperary Hospital on the 1st June, 1917. He was married and had kids.

the 2 service records found by Ponster are for the same chap I think (time in the Inniskillings and then the Dublin Fusiliers) and I think are for the John Becker on the headstone.

The John Becker who died in Tipperary in 1917 is listed with a DoB as approx 1872 which tallies with the service records.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR2S-KPP

Son of Christopher and Jane Becker nee Connell (the 1901 census database listing gives her age as 40 but it looks like 60 on the original document - she is listed as 74 in the 1911 census), baptism record gives DoB as 28th June 1872

• Registered Users Posts: 15 foxmike

Would anybody have more info on a relation of mine Thomas Berney Royal Dublin Fusillers No.20040.
    No nothing about him if he even survived the war.

• Advertisement

Medal Index Card shows he landed in France 20th December 1915. This tallies with when the 8th Battalion landed in France. Discharged to Class Z Reserve so survived the war.

No service or pension record on Ancestry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

foxmike wrote: »
    Would anybody have more info on a relation of mine Thomas Berney Royal Dublin Fusillers No.20040.
    No nothing about him if he even survived the war.

There's a Thomas and Annie Berney listed in the Dublin Electoral Rolls of 1938.
    http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/index.php (you need to download a small viewer to see the results)
    Depending on his date of birth, that could be him. Unusual enough name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

(I originally posted this in the Genealogy forum and I was redirected here)

Hi all, I had a granduncle who was supposed to have served in WW1 however I can't find any record of him having searched on findmypast.ie and ancestry.co.uk.
    My father (now deceased) remembers him as being "shell shocked" which he sustained in WW1.
    The details I have are:
    Michael Moore, born 1885/1886 in Clorhane, Limerick (father James Moore).
    He moved to Laois sometime between 1888 and 1890 (mentioning this as he may have put down Laois as his birth county).
    I don't have his service number or regiment etc.
    I think he died in 1956 (not sure about this).
    Given the year that's in it I'd like to find out more about him.
    Anyone got any ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BigCon wrote: »
    (I originally posted this in the Genealogy forum and I was redirected here)

Hi all, I had a granduncle who was supposed to have served in WW1 however I can't find any record of him having searched on findmypast.ie and ancestry.co.uk.
    My father (now deceased) remembers him as being "shell shocked" which he sustained in WW1.
    The details I have are:
    Michael Moore, born 1885/1886 in Clorhane, Limerick (father James Moore).
    He moved to Laois sometime between 1888 and 1890 (mentioning this as he may have put down Laois as his birth county).
    I don't have his service number or regiment etc.
    I think he died in 1956 (not sure about this).
    Given the year that's in it I'd like to find out more about him.
    Anyone got any ideas?

This is possibly him (second on the list) in the army training school in Glasnevin, Dublin in the 1911 census.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000034883/ (.pdf file)

I found that entry alright but I couldn't prove it was him. I didn't realise it was an army training school though so there's a good possibility that's him. Where do I go from here?

BigCon wrote: »
    I found that entry alright but I couldn't prove it was him. I didn't realise it was an army training school though so there's s good possibility that's him. Where do I go from here?

I don't know where their records went. Others here may know for sure.

was this a teacher training college rather than an army school?

was this a teacher training college rather than an army school?

I thought that this was a teacher training college too, maybe someone can clarify?

My apologies if I've misled you on the nature of the school. I think I confused it with Marlborough Barracks. There was an army involvement in Marlborough Hall later, as a convalescent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clowny1916

Hi all wondering if anyone can help me find out more about about my great uncle he fought in the ww1. All I no is that he joined in sackville barracks and was sent to Aldershot and then to France. He lost an eye and was sent back to hospital in Scotland and then returned to service in the labour corps. His name was pte patrick hennessy no. 1322 leinster regiment. I'm looking for information on where in France he might of been and what he might of done on his return to the labour corps.
    Thanks for an info

• Advertisement

Medal Index Card suggests 7th battalion.

A summary of the 7th Bn can be found at

http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Libraries/Images/Leingster-Regiment-Lecture-Series.pdf

Thanks for that johnny_Doyle I found the medal index card earlier but couldn't make it out would you no what time frame he was over their or when the medal was awarded

the MIC shows he entered France 17th December 1915. The Long Long Trail page suggests the 7th landed at Le Havre on the 18th December. Not unusual to see a day or so variance.

http://www.1914-1918.net/leinster.htm

I think his Leinster Regt number means he enlisted early in 1914 (number 1328 enlisted 1/2/1914), probably to 2nd Battalion (a check of the CWGC database shows most men with numbers near 1322 who died were 2nd Battalion)

Labour Corps was form in April 1917. You may want to contact the chaps mentioned on this page for further info re the Labour Corps

http://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/history_records.htm

The MIC shows he was discharged to Class Z Reserve (ie liable to immediate call up if hostilities with Germany started again) on 31st March 1919.

He was awarded 3 campaign medals which would have been posted to his last know address from 1919 onwards :

1914-15 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal

See the following link for more info re each

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Thank you very much for the information ita been a great help. I'll look into them links on the labour corps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Looking for information of my grandfather. His name was Robert Smith, from Waterford Ireland.Served in the royal navy during WW1. It says on his cap HMTBD, which stands for Her Majesty's torpedo boat destroyer.

Would love to know where he served, and perhaps what vessel he served on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This could be an interesting one, for sure. It's not often we hear about sailors on the smaller combat vessels in either WW1 or 2.

BTW, the cap badge stands for HIS Majesty's etc - the king at the time was George V.

Let us know how you get on.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

tac foley wrote: »
    This could be an interesting one, for sure. It's not often we hear about sailors on the smaller combat vessels in either WW1 or 2.

BTW, the cap badge stands for HIS Majesty's etc - the king at the time was George V.

tac

I'll do my best , There's literally very little I know of my Grandfathers whereabouts during WW1. He died a long time before I was born so I don't any of his stories or anything. I know that he earned three medals during the war though.

and thanks for the correction,

Mrnotlob

are the medals still in the family? They should have his number on the rim of the medals which could help in looking on the UK National Archives website for records e.g. the following are listed as Waterford Smiths but nothing for your man (so far)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6905889

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7101527

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6958882

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7033303

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

tac foley wrote: »

tac

I'm currently trying to get my Grandfathers & Great-grandfathers records, I know my Grandfather was a Lt-Cmdr on MTBs I'll share what info I find if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SkilledDVR

My Grandfather served in the British army during The Great War, with only his name and D.O.B. to go on I could never find anything out about his service.

Yesterday I saw some medals, inscribed on one was

238768 DVR J McCarthy R.A.

If someone could explain to me what this means and also if it is possible to find out anything about my Grandfathers service in the War,

thanks

Advertisement