Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about reading piano musoc

Options
  • 18-06-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Don't know if this is in the correct section but I had a question about playing the melody line on piano.
    I've been playing piano for two and a bit years(I could read my 4 years prior to being able to play piano, I knew how to read notes)
    Anyway, my piano teacher always tells me play the melody line with the chords.
    We usually play contemporary stuff and not classical.
    I ament accompanying a singer so is that alright just to play the melody line with the chords all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

With contemporary stuff, I guess it would be normal enough to play chords only in the left hand but not in classical or jazz. Are you playing block chords only or arpeggiating/ alternating bass notes with rest of chord?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

rhapsody wrote: »
    With contemporary stuff, I guess it would be normal enough to play chords only in the left hand but not in classical or jazz. Are you playing block chords only or arpeggiating/ alternating bass notes with rest of chord?

yeah I play block chords, sometimes I arpeggiate and fill in parts with the bass notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

well depending on the song, you could maybe develop things a little- I mean generally the accompaniment is based around chords, but there's alot more embellishment you can include. I wouldn't expect just a single melody line in your right hand. Have you talked to your teacher about it?

Advertisement