Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB Farm Connection

• 23-05-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I am rehashing old topics here...

I want to get a connection for an electric fence. The closest ESB pole/line is about 100m form the boundary of the farm.

What are my options here? What sort of cost would be involved?

My back up plan is a solar fence but this is my preferred option if financially viable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

Toplink wrote: »
    Sorry if I am rehashing old topics here...

I want to get a connection for an electric fence. The closest ESB pole/line is about 100m form the boundary of the farm.

What are my options here? What sort of cost would be involved?

My back up plan is a solar fence but this is my preferred option if financially viable.

Cost me €1300 for a full ESB installation to a farm shed. I think its cheaper for electric fence only connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

"Unmetered electric loads" seems to be what they call them

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/commercial-downloads/NC4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Yep there called unmetered loads. Only problem you will have is that the pole must be on your land.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭raindodger

whats the cost for the unmetered loads connection could you run a water pump with one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

raindodger wrote: »
    whats the cost for the unmetered loads connection could you run a water pump with one
    Would any pole do, or does it have to have a transformer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

No any pole that has L.V. And not H.V. If you look for the nearest trafo pole follow the connections that come down the pole through a black box. That is the L.V. Side. An unmetered load for a fence is usually free but it won't be any where near big enough to run any kind of load. It's fused too low

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bigtomw

Luckysasha wrote: »
    An unmetered load for a fence is usually free but it won't be any where near big enough to run any kind of load. It's fused too low

was looking into this last year and esb told my i would need a wall as they wouldnt fix it to the pole, 300 euro connection, and 8 euro every 2 months for electric fence only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

bigtomw wrote: »
    was looking into this last year and esb told my i would need a wall as they wouldnt fix it to the pole, 300 euro connection, and 8 euro every 2 months for electric fence only

I got a full connection for a shed in 2003 for £380. I was told to apply for it on my ''disadvantaged '' land and ''redirect'' the guys when they came to put it in :D
    It worked any way,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

raindodger wrote: »

No I do not think you could run a water pump off it. Usually these are fused very low I say about 6 amps at most and maybe only 3amps. Not sure what power rating a pump is (wattage rating) while in theory you may be able to run one off 6 amps(1.3KW) what would catch you is the surge as the pump starts which is twice the running load.

Pumps are power hungry so it would depend on the power rating of the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I have a metered ESB connection on an out farm for a water pump. The connection is rated at 8kVA. There is a plug socket in the pump house that the pump is plugged into. Do ye think I could use that for some lighting and maybe a kettle the odd time? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

arctictree wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I have a metered ESB connection on an out farm for a water pump. The connection is rated at 8kVA. There is a plug socket in the pump house that the pump is plugged into. Do ye think I could use that for some lighting and maybe a kettle the odd time? Thanks

8kva at 230v is approx 35amps..
    And electric kettle is generally rated at 3kw so at 230v is 15amps current draw so you are grand out at that! Assuming the pump isn't running at the time..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Looking at options for water and one is to get an electric connection on the other end of the farm.its closer to 3 thousand for a connection now is it and I would still have to bring a cable roughly 300 metres to the water pump.its only for the pump.i am looking at solar but I reckon it would struggle to supply the water up 160 head height and a distance of 700 metres at a decent rate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭emaherx

Is that 160m head height or 160ft?

160f6

Well if it's 160ft, I think solar is still a good option.

What's a decent rate? If for cattle drinkers it doesn't need to be too high a flow, bigger drinkers may help or an IBC as a buffer.

Is the 700M all uphill? or could the water be pumped to a nearer high point and let gravity help for the distance?

I've a 12V pump with a claimed head height of 230ft (haven't tested to anywhere near that though)

A second midway pumping station could be an option? Each pumping station could be built for around €400 including panel/battery.

larger DC or Inverter pumps are available too, obviously need more solar panels and/or batteries to run them, they will be more expensive but still comparable to an ESB install. System voltage will be higher but will be a multiple of 12V, 24/36/48/V etc. very hard to find prices/info for these online but they do exist so a call to a supplier might be in order maybe https://www.clarkerewinds.ie/ or other pump supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Apologies for butting in.

But you seem to know a thing or two, emaherx.

Say you already have a pump installed. You have a electricity plug in reader that tells you it's using 3kw a day when it's in heaviest use.

You've no plans for water storage tanks. But solar and battery storage to run it. What size and watt panel and battery would do it?

Care to make a stab at it emaherx?

I haven't got the answer already so I'm not trying to corner you. Would you want some extra capacity on top? The plan if it could be done would be to have it 100% on solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

To push water 700meters up 160ft you would need over 5 bar pressure. There is no 12v pump that can generate anything remotely near that much head pressure. The only way I see it been done is to use some form of compressed air system that would intermittently pump the water to a storage tank at the top of the hill. If its a 12V solar panel system I don't know of any 12v air compressor that can generate 5 bar either! well at least not ones that can run continuously. You'd probably have to use 2 pumping stations to get it that far.

Are you sure the measurements are correct, 160ft is a fair climb.

Yes according to daft logic.we are right at the top of the hill.what I'm trying to do is have 3 different supplies in different areas of the farm feeding into the one system most Wells max at 1000 to 1200 galls a day around here and I need 3 to 4 k gls a day so I m looking at a 3 Rd well.

12VDC pumps would typically would be connected to 1/2" hose where as most Mains well pumps would be connected to inch hose. But I agree 160ft height and 700m across is too ambitious for a single 12V pump. Add in the little detail that KG previously omitted, he also needs it to lift over 1000 gallons per day!

But solar is not limited to 12V options as there are pumps available in multiples of 12V up to about 72V and larger solar pumps actually use AC Motors with integrated inverters. The question really comes down to whether or not a suitable system can be put together for less than the cost of the ESB installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What the fuk do you need 4k gallons of well water for everyday surely it nearly rains every day around here .What about roof water run off and plate cooler water reuse

• Advertisement

You could use this calculator. https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/solar-calculator.html

But you already have an ESB connection?

Is the existing connection just for the pump?

Not sure I'd be in a hurry to replace it with solar, it would take a fair bit to run the existing pump, you'd need panels batteries and a suitable inverter.

In reality the size of the pump motor and how long it cycles for would be useful to know, so you could work out the min required battery and panel size. Night time running would also increase the battery requirements significantly. You'd need to factor in storage for short dark days too, especially if needed in winter months.

If just looking to reduce costs while maintaining the ESB connection for backup anyway, forget the batteries, spec the panels to run the pump most days and use a grid tie inverter.

Plate cooler would fill a 400 gallon tank twice a day and other washing and rinceing would bring to 1000gls roughly.cows could easily drink 20 gls on a hot day so that's your 4000 gls.we actually do some rainwater harvesting but demand is to big for it too be useful

Advertisement