Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Sunday's Gospel

• 04-05-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

Sunday, May 04, 2014
    Third Sunday of Easter

First Reading : Acts 2:14, 22-33
    Psalm: Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-11
    Second Reading :1 Peter 1:17-21

Gospel : Luke 24:13-35

The Walk to Emmaus

13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emma′us, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem, 14 and talking with each other about all these things that had happened.

15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 And he said to them, “What is this conversation which you are holding with each other as you walk?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 

Then one of them, named Cle′opas, answered him, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 And he said to them, “What things?” And they said to him, “Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since this happened. 22 

Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning 23 and did not find his body; and they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb, and found it just as the women had said; but him they did not see.” 25

And he said to them, “O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

28 So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He appeared to be going further, 29 but they constrained him, saying, “Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them. 31 And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight. 32 They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures?”

33 And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven gathered together and those who were with them, 34 who said, “The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” 35 Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Caravaggio also painted this scene in 1601, and it now hangs in the National Gallery in London, he also painted another version in 1606, which is in the Brera Fine Arts Academy, in Milan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Slightly off topic..

http://www.emmauswalks.ie/

Quite on topic, nice little video on the cover page too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,374 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why are there numbers throughout that text OP please?

Hi, those are the verse numbers, it's from Luke chapter 24, verse numbers 13 to 35. I probably should have left them out to make it easier to read. When printed in bibles etc. they are usually shown in a much lighter font so you don't notice them so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I suppose what I take from this passage, is that even Jesus' close disciples were skeptical of the story of the resurrection as they perhaps would have had thought his mission brief was to free them from the worldly oppression of the Roman (personally rather a fan thereof) as per the term "redeem" - instead of freeing them from sin.
    -my 2c

Sunday, May 11, 2014
    Fourth Sunday of Easter

First Reading:Acts 2:14, 36-41
    Psalm:Psalm 23:1-6
    Second Reading: 1 Peter 2:20-25

Gospel : John 10:1-10

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber;
    but he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
    To him the gatekeeper opens; the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
    When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
    A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

This figure Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
    All who came before me are thieves and robbers; but the sheep did not heed them.
    I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
    The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Hi ryan101 - it would be helpful if you posted your own thoughts on these passages - its a discussion forum after all.

Jesus is saying there is only one way to the Father - through him

Jesus knows his own and his own know to follow him and no other

Please discuss away, I hope you do, unfortunately I have to head out now, so I can't do it justice just at the minute, but I'll be back with my own thoughts later.

For me it echos the following

John 14:6 when Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."

Matthew 7 15:20 “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits."

Matthew 24:24 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect."

Later on in this chapter is also very important

John 10:27-33

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This Sunday, according to which lectionary? Roman Catholic and Revised Common are the ... common! ... ones, but I believe there are others.

Sunday 18th May 2014
    Fifth Sunday of Easter

First Reading : Acts 6:1-7
    Psalms : 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19
    Second Reading : 1 Peter 2:4-9

Gospel John 14:1-12

"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going."

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him."

Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves. "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father."

Personally, I love the assurance of this Bible passage - It always seems to be read at funerals and I was at a funeral yesterday where this was read. What I dislike is that it is so overused to provide reassurance to the bereaved family, often where the deceased could barely be described as Christian - this is a Christian message directed to the followers of Jesus who know and love Him, and should be seen as such.

(The funeral I was at was of wonderful young Christian man who was a role model for all of us - I will miss him dearly)

Sunday, May 26, 2014
    Sixth Sunday of Easter

First Reading:Acts 8:5-8, 14-17
    Psalm:Psalm 66:1-7, 16, 20
    Second Reading: 1 Peter 3:15-18

Gospel : John 14:15-21

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. "I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."

From CCC 729, which is related to this passage :

"Only when the hour has arrived for his glorification does Jesus promise the coming of the Holy Spirit, since his Death and Resurrection will fulfill the promise made to the fathers. The Spirit of truth, the other Paraclete, will be given by the Father in answer to Jesus' prayer; he will be sent by the Father in Jesus' name; and Jesus will send him from the Father's side, since he comes from the Father. The Holy Spirit will come and we shall know him; he will be with us for ever; he will remain with us. The Spirit will teach us everything, remind us of all that Christ said to us and bear witness to him. The Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth and will glorify Christ. He will prove the world wrong about sin, righteousness, and judgment."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

homer911 wrote: »
    Hi ryan101 - it would be helpful if you posted your own thoughts on these passages - its a discussion forum after all.

Jesus is saying there is only one way to the Father - through him

Jesus knows his own and his own know to follow him and no other
    The Word of God is adequate in itself for all who hear it.

There is no obligation on any Christian to expand upon the Word of God ... but of course, if the Spirit moves him/her they can add their thoughts about a particular passage.

These are beautiful passages of scripture in their own right and I thank you, Ryan101 for sharing these verses from the Gospels and allowing God to speak to us all on this forum, with His Holy Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Mod: This thread is a really nice idea, but if passages are being posted here the poster should add a few thoughts of their own to generate discussion and avoid the thread becoming a noticeboard.

It is strange the things that attract moderation on this forum, and the things that don't.

I would have thought a Gospel thread would be absolutely central to this forum. I was quite surprised to find none.

I also think this forum badly needs a feedback thread, as is provided for the A&A forum.

This thread is not, nor should it become, nor ever was designed to be, 'Ryan's weekly gospel homily/thoughts thread'. It is for all Christians, or those who have yet to know God's love, and I post it as a small service to all. People are just as free to add their own relevant thoughts as well. I had hoped they would, and I feel when the time is right, they will. Sometimes a passage really does speak for itself, as it has on the last few occasions. Personally, I would find it easier to add thoughts when a passage might seem obscure, or one that is often misquoted/misused/misunderstood, or if people had questions, and there will be times when the passage will be like that. I imagine it will vary very much from week to week depending on the passage and subject. Those are the weeks I envisage there being a lot more thoughts and civil discussion from everyone. Unfortunately I also envisage there will even be times debate about the passage will have to be moved and continued on the usual old chestnut threads. So respectfully, I would say patience dear moderator, patience, if the rest of the forum is anything to go by, you'll be needed soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

ryan101 wrote: »
    It is strange the things that attract moderation on this forum, and the things that don't.

I would have thought a Gospel thread would be absolutely central to this forum. I was quite surprised to find none.

I also think this forum badly needs a feedback thread, as is provided for the A&A forum.

Well there is a stickied thread for favourite Bible verses and quotes here. The idea of a feedback thread is worth considering, but for the time being there is the Feedback forum if you have any concerns about moderation.
    ryan101 wrote: »
    This thread is not, nor should it become, nor ever was designed to be, 'Ryan's weekly gospel homily/thoughts thread'. It is for all Christians, or those who have yet to know God's love, and I post it as a small service to all. People are just as free to add their own relevant thoughts as well. I had hoped they would, and I feel when the time is right, they will.

All good. The idea of such a thread is a worthy one. But it's a discussion forum, and it's a fairly general convention across this site that posters are expected to offer some thoughts / opinions of their own.

Shouldn't really be discussing this on thread, so feel free to drop the mods a pm, or to raise a thread on Feedback if you have any thoughts / issues.

J C wrote: »
    The Word of God is adequate in itself for all who hear it.

Both Christians and non-Christians benefit from discussion of Bible passages. Many of us either don't understand passages or misunderstand. This is why we have Bible Studies and experienced and educated theologians

• Advertisement

Sunday, June 1, 2014

First Reading : Acts 1:1-11
    Psalm: Psalm 46
    Second Reading : Ephesians 1:17-23

Gospel : Matthew 28:16-20

The eleven disciples set out for Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had arranged to meet them. When they saw him they fell down before him, though some hesitated. Jesus came up and spoke to them. He said,

‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
    Go, therefore, make disciples of all the nations;
    baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
    and teach them to observe all the commands I gave you.

And know that I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.’

For me this passage affirms Christ's divinity, Baptism, The Trinity, and the teaching authority of the Apostles

June 8: Pentecost Sunday, Gospel Reading
    "Gospel JN 20:19-23

On the evening of that first day of the week,
    when the doors were locked, where the disciples were,
    for fear of the Jews,
    Jesus came and stood in their midst
    and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
    When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.
    The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
    Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you.
    As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
    And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
    “Receive the Holy Spirit.
    Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
    and whose sins you retain are retained.”"

As per Hahn's bible commentary, in 20:23, this mission of mercy and reconciliation passes thus through the apostles and connects with the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yep. That's prettymuch the whole basis for confessions. Its such a loss to most non-Catholic Christians that they overlook this.

EDIT: @ ryan101 from private message; You're right of course, that is indeed the proper term. I only put it in as "confessions" for the benefit of those who mightn't have heard of the sacrament or reconciliation. Are you permanently banned from the Christianity forum? :confused:

newmug wrote: »
    Yep. That's prettymuch the whole basis for confessions. Its such a loss to most non-Catholic Christians that they overlook this.

A - I dont see how you make this link
    B - non-Catholics also believe in confession - we just dont believe we need a human intermediary when we already have Jesus (the temple curtain was torn in two)
    C - Probably better to discuss on the Protestant/Catholic thread

Gospel JN 3:16-18- June 15th
    "
    God so loved the world that he gave his only Son,
    so that everyone who believes in him might not perish
    but might have eternal life.
    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
    but that the world might be saved through him.
    Whoever believes in him will not be condemned,
    but whoever does not believe has already been condemned,
    because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
    " Source- http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/061514.cfm

The earthly mission of Jesus is part of the heavenly plan of the Father,
    who displays the depth of his love through the sacrifice of his Son - Hahn commentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Manach wrote: »
    Gospel JN 3:16-18- June 15th
    "...but whoever does not believe has already been condemned,...
    "

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this part means?
    We were all non-believers at some point, either through not having heard the Word or not believing it and thankfully, we were not condemned.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this part means?
    We were all non-believers at some point, either through not having heard the Word or not believing it and thankfully, we were not condemned.

?? If we dont believe in repentance and salvation, having heard this message, then we condemn ourselves

Its one thing to wonder over what happens to those who never hear about Jesus, but when we hear about repentance and salvation, we become responsible for our response to that message. This does not mean that we wont respond at some stage in our lives, but maybe we wont get a second opportunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

homer911 wrote: »
    ?? If we dont believe in repentance and salvation, having heard this message, then we condemn ourselves

Its one thing to wonder over what happens to those who never hear about Jesus, but when we hear about repentance and salvation, we become responsible for our response to that message. This does not mean that we wont respond at some stage in our lives, but maybe we wont get a second opportunity?

But we cannot draw close to God unless He gives us the grace to do so. We cannot accept Him, unless He moves us first to do so...
    ""No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them,..." Jn 6:44
    and
    "You did not choose me but I chose you and appointed you..." Jn 15:16

Plus, can you give your thoughts on that part of the passage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

But we cannot draw close to God unless He gives us the grace to do so. We cannot accept Him, unless He moves us first to do so...
    ""No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them,..." Jn 6:44
    Plus, can you give your thoughts on that part of the passage.
    Context is important ...
    Jn 6:43-45 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. 44 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.

This passage doen't mean that God forces/chooses people to be Saved ... instead He attracts them to be Saved ... and they can accept or reject His attraction.

... and God's grace is His freely available mercy to all who ask for it.

Advertisement