Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**LC SPANISH 2014 All Levels Discussion**

• 13-06-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

¡Compartéis sus frases y opiniónes aquí!

Share your phrases and thoughts here! (provide a translation if typing en español)

Pretty relaxed myself, have a handle on the subjunctive and such and the oral being over is such a relief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

7jy wrote: »

Share your phrases and thoughts here! (provide a translation if typing en español)

Pretty relaxed myself, have a handle on the subjunctive and such and the oral being over is such a relief.

No es necesario escribir un translación :)

I haven't looked at Spanish properly in a good while so I'm a bit worried about trying to get a grip on it again, aiming for an A2 so hopefully we get a nice paper :pac:
    Idk why, but I have a feeling something about the environment, technology or bullying might come up in the opinion piece or as a theme for the journalistic text, don't ask me why though :pac:

Has anyone else done Sin Noticias De Gurb? I studied the novel but not really sure what standard of answers are expected for the English question so I think I might only do it if the other text is particularly nasty.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Thought I was grand for spanish, haven't looked sideways at it in a month and now I forget everything. These 4 days shall be fun!

¡Ojala que toda salga bien!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

aleatorio wrote: »
    No es necesario escribir un translación :)

I haven't looked at Spanish properly in a good while so I'm a bit worried about trying to get a grip on it again, aiming for an A2 so hopefully we get a nice paper :pac:
    Idk why, but I have a feeling something about the environment, technology or bullying might come up in the opinion piece or as a theme for the journalistic text, don't ask me why though :pac:

Has anyone else done Sin Noticias De Gurb? I studied the novel but not really sure what standard of answers are expected for the English question so I think I might only do it if the other text is particularly nasty.. :o

We didn't do the novel, but our teacher says every year she's corrected exams people who answer on the journalistic text do better than those who answer on the novel, so switching might not be a bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 7jy

technology is a good shout for the opinion, and I wouldn't put it past them putting on some about la Copa del Mundo somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

any predictions for the opinion piece?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'll try to throw in some corrections as you go along since it never hurts :)

Only two so far: translación, while a good guess :P, should be traducción (think of the verb, traducir)

Second thing: When you use ojalá you don't need que after it, which is quite odd I know considering that's one of the most basic requirements for a subjunctive...but it comes from Arabic and basically means "allah willing" (hence the alá bit, I think) so it's like "Allah willing, the exam will go well", no "that" involved!

(I dunno if that tidbit helps to understand it at all, I've just always found it interesting)

Also, while ojalá can translate to "hopefully", when you use it with the imperfect subjunctive it can also mean "I wish", so "ojalá pudiera..." means "I wish I could" and "ojalá estuvieras aquí" is how you say "I wish you were here". Basically the imperfect subjunctive can imply less possibility than the present one, so you can sort of see how that meaning comes about.

Buena suerte a todos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

7jy wrote: »

It's compartid (or even compartan if you want to be formal and use ustedes) because you are telling people to do something. E.g. Do it ≈ ¡hacedlo!

Sorry for correcting you but it's good in case it comes up in the dialogue

completely forgot I was using the imperative, cheers as I don't want to be doing stupid things like that on tues!

Oh and you probably know this but since it's second person plural rather than ustedes, you'd use vuestras instead of sus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Im thinking something along the lines of health or technology for the opinion piece, not sure why, just a hunch

• Advertisement

anyone have any tips for the listening?? I know all my vocab pretty well and the old reliables like weather, I just find the listening section more difficult than the rest of the paper :(
    also did anyone else do examcraft mock? cursing the person who corrected mine ridiculously easy, i mean 50/50 for an opinion piece with grammar mistakes :/:/ now I feel like I'll be doing well to pull any grade remotely similar to the mocks :(
    also if anyone has the deb mock handy I'd be very greatful :D if ye don't have a scan digital copy of it don't bother though, I know it's a lot of work rooting for and scanning these things :)

Regards the allah thing, oh my god that's really weird :pac: ya definately learn something new everyday :D

I almost failed my listening in the christmas test (40% bang on) I just went onto examinations.ie and practiced them loads and learned some vocab and it brought me up to 96% in the mock!!

When Im practicing I correct them off the marking scheme and for anything I missed or got wrong I went back to the tape again and listened out for it, replaying until I heard it.

Lara_15 wrote: »
    I almost failed my listening in the christmas test (40% bang on) I just went onto examinations.ie and practiced them loads and learned some vocab and it brought me up to 96% in the mock!!

When Im practicing I correct them off the marking scheme and for anything I missed or got wrong I went back to the tape again and listened out for it, replaying until I heard it.

Wow fair play!! :) Yeah, I've been doing the rest of the exam paper ones that we haven't done in class this week and gone through the hearsay cd afterwards picking out the vocab, I've improved somewhat but after tomorrow I've run out of papers :(

Irregulares
    Ser = sea, seas...
    Dar = Dé, des, Dé...
    Saber = sepa, sepas...
    Ir = Vaya, vayas...
    Estar = esté, estés, esté...
    Haber = haya, hayas...

Verbs that mainly go in subjunctive
    Querer... Quiero que vaya
    Necesitar... ¿Necesitas que te ayude?
    Gustar
    Sorprender
    Molestar

Other important ones to remember include:
    No creo que
    No es verdad que
    No es cierto que

These can be either positive or negative in SUBJ:
    (No) es normal/fantastico/lógico/terrible/raro/

A good test of whether or not something should be subjunctive is to check if it normally goes with an infinitive. You can see that with most of the above examples. Replacing the infinitive with que usually means the verb takes the subjunctive, e.g. Quiero bailar -> Quiero que bailes, same with necesitar. Me gusta nadar -> Me gusta que sepas lo que quieres hacer. (It's to do with changing subjects more than anything.)

I had a big explanation typed out for verbs like evitar que + subjuntivo but I don't know if it will be any use or just confuse everyone so I'll leave it for now. :o

the key with the listening really is just to make sure you're fully focused and not too worn out, as it's after the written paper and worth an awful lot. what works for me is to write absolutely nothing and just concentrate on listening until the break after the second reading, not sure how you guys do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Just a place to suggest what you're studying for the exam and a place to vent about the exam when it's finished!

What are you guys expecting in the Opinion Piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

environment hasnt come up since 08/09??

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    environment hasnt come up since 08/09??

I'd LOVE an environment question!
    I've heard technology is probably a good bet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Whats the best thing to look over now that its tomorrow? don't know what to do

Whats the best thing to look over now that its tomorrow? don't know what to do

Me neither.. Haven't a clue how to study languages :(

Think I'll do a listening exam, look over some opinion piece phrases and some grammar :o

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Hopefully you get an easier paper than we did last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leavingcert problems

Hola mis amigos, estoy harta de los exámenes y quiero ir de copas. Desafortunadamente, tengo que estudiar y no tengo un idea.. Lol thats about the height of my español and its probably wrong!! I'm in a desperate situación y estoy mirando ayudar.. What should have a glance over para tener exitó (or even scrape a C3)

algunas frases útiles para el artículo de opinión:

Frases idiomáticas:
    Un cero a la izquierda - Useless
    Hecho polvo - Exhausted
    Patas arriba - In a mess
    Por lo pelos - 'by the skin of your teeth'
    Vale la pena - Worth the effort
    Dar por sentado - To take something for granted

Examinemos la situación/Veamos cuales son las problemas
    Hay un sinfín de...
    No hay que buscar lejos para encontrar ejemplos de esto
    Lamento decir
    Ojalá fuera así
    Ojalá las cosas cambien
    Ojalá la situación mejore
    Al fin y al cabo
    Todo el mundo dice que..
    Teniendo en cuenta todos los puntos de vista, no hay otra conclusión que valga

El Medio Ambiente:
    La copa de ozone (el agujero en la..)
    La energía hidráulica/renovable/no renovable/eólica/solar
    El efecto invernadero
    El calentamiento planetario
    Perder
    Explotar
    Agredir
    Respetar
    'La tierra no es una herencia de nuestros padres sino un préstamo de nuestros hijos'

La tecnología

La era multimedia
    La libertad de expresión
    Foros
    La red
    El medio de comunicar
    El correo electrónico
    La contraseña
    Descargar
    Grabar
    Colgar
    Navegar por la red

Hope that helps someone :)

aleatorio wrote: »
    algunas frases útiles para el artículo de opinión:

Frases idiomáticas:
    Un cero a la izquierda - Useless
    Hecho polvo - Exhausted
    Patas arriba - In a mess
    Por lo pelos - 'by the skin of your teeth'
    Vale la pena - Worth the effort
    Dar por sentado - To take something for granted

Examinemos la situación/Veamos cuales son las problemas
    Hay un sinfín de...
    No hay que buscar lejos para encontrar ejemplos de esto
    Lamento decir
    Ojalá fuera así
    Ojalá las cosas cambien
    Ojalá la situación mejore
    Al fin y al cabo
    Todo el mundo dice que..
    Teniendo en cuenta todos los puntos de vista, no hay otra conclusión que valga

El Medio Ambiente:
    La copa de ozone (el agujero en la..)
    La energía hidráulica/renovable/no renovable/eólica/solar
    El efecto invernadero
    El calentamiento planetario
    Perder
    Explotar
    Agredir
    Respetar
    'La tierra no es una herencia de nuestros padres sino un préstamo de nuestros hijos'

La tecnología

La era multimedia
    La libertad de expresión
    Foros
    La red
    El medio de comunicar
    El correo electrónico
    La contraseña
    Descargar
    Grabar
    Colgar
    Navegar por la red

Hope that helps someone :)

thanks sooooo much, in case anyone wants it i transferred a few of them onto this website i find really good for learning vocab
    http://www.memrise.com/course/337994/leaving-cert-essay-vocab/

Well, that wasn't too bad! Thought some of the synonyms were hard (the first 3 of the second set in Section B eluded me..) but other than that, and the word for Scholarship, 'twas fine! :)

Ah sure that was grand... found the listening a bit difficult but i got an answer for everything! The letter was fabulous as i had studied all about social networks for the opinion piece! the opinion piece was also great, i did the second one as it was quite broad and could be based on a number of things! all in all i'm pretty happy and f*cking delighted that it's now officially summer (for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

Please for the love of God someone else tell me they thought that paper was horrific!

• Advertisement

Ah sure that was grand... found the listening a bit difficult but i got an answer for everything! The letter was fabulous as i had studied all about social networks for the opinion piece! the opinion piece was also great, i did the second one as it was quite broad and could be based on a number of things! all in all i'm pretty happy and f*cking delighted that it's now officially summer (for me)

Ya I'm finished now too. The listening was hard enough. There was an echo in my exam hall so that was annoying.
    I did the letter too because I had the vocab from technology on it learnt for the essay.
    The essay was OK too as we had done essays on stress and travel so those both fitted well.
    I did both the diary and the note and I also did the dialogue too. The diary was easier than the note I thought because I forgot what bullfight was.

Some of the translating and synonyms were hard I thought in the comprehensions.
    For example ganadería is 'cattle ranching' how are we meant to know that?
    I guessed it was farming.

Advertisement