Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone who wanna be a driving buddy?

• 08-06-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I know it'a bit wired, but I would like to give a try...

Well.....I am doing my driving lessons here in Galway (0 experience before). So I should have more practice after the lesson..But the problem is...I am new here in Galway and I am from China, so I can't really find a car from friends or family that I can practice with.

I don't know whether if someone would like to be my driving buddy? it's pretty much like language buddy:Instead of exchanging language, We meet some time during the week and play around with the car a bit. if you are interested in Chinese culture or Chinese food, I can cook some real spicy Chinese food for you, or teach you some Chinese.

Anyhow since I am new here, I would also like to make some friends. Just PM me if you are interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gunning4info

Hi I maybe interested but would like to meet first to see if we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Do you have insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Do you have insurance?

that was my question, too.

But the OP tells us that " so I can't really find a car from friends or family that I can practice with" ... and (in general) you cannot insure what you don't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

YUYAXUAN wrote: »

Well.....I am doing my driving lessons here in Galway (0 experience before). So I should have more practice after the lesson..But the problem is...I am new here in Galway and I am from China, so I can't really find a car from friends or family that I can practice with.

I don't know whether if someone would like to be my driving buddy? it's pretty much like language buddy:Instead of exchanging language, We meet some time during the week and play around with the car a bit. if you are interested in Chinese culture or Chinese food, I can cook some real spicy Chinese food for you, or teach you some Chinese.

Anyhow since I am new here, I would also like to make some friends. Just PM me if you are interested.

Would you be prepared to indemnify the owner of the car for any damage that may occur to said vehicle? And repeating what was said earlier, how does the insurance work in this arrangement? I can't imagine that free Chinese food or language lessons would be worth it if the whole arrangement went South or if there was damage or injury. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You could add the person as a named driver on your policy. Usually for a small enough fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You could add the person as a named driver on your policy. Usually for a small enough fee.

Really doesn't seem worth it for a Chinese meal.

OP: Pay the 35 / hour (or cheaper even) and get driving lessons via the proper channels. That'll give you plenty of practice and guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Depends how good the food is... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Welcome to Galway Yuyaxuan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Hi Yuyaxuan and welcome to Galway!

It's definitely a big help if you can practice in between lessons but the main problem is insurance: in Ireland, drivers need to be named on insurance so it might be way too expensive for someone to take you driving in case something happens, unless you can get added as an insured driver to their car but this would cost a few hundred euros and would rely on someone willing to trust you in their car. Best might just to take as many lessons as you can and practice that way.

If you need a driving instructor, the one I used was very good, I've had 3 friends who've used him and all 3 passed their test first time as well so PM me if you want his name/number. Most instructors charge around €35 an hour so instead of getting insured on someone's car, you might be better off just spending the cash on an extra 10 driving lessons or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭swine

My brother started learning to drive and was told he would need 3 hours of practice in between lessons (which I assisted with) and got told 'you obviously didn't do your 3 hours' after I can vouch that he did (sweaty palms).

Fair point about insurance though.

• Advertisement

There are nine million bicycles in Beijing, I wonder how many cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There are nine million bicycles in Beijing, I wonder how many cars?

Well Ray in 2011 it was estimated that there were 5 million cars in Beijing. Probably a lot more now.

Well Ray in 2011 it was estimated that there were 5 million cars in Beijing. Probably a lot more now.

Who is Ray?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Guessing a reference to today fm presenter ray d'arcy and his fix it friday feature where random questions get answered.. I lol'd anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

YUYAXUAN wrote: »

I don't know whether if someone would like to be my driving buddy? it's pretty much like language buddy:Instead of exchanging language, We meet some time during the week and play around with in the car a bit. if you are interested in Chinese culture or Chinese food, I can cook some real spicy Chinese food for you, or teach you some Chinese.

Fixed that for ye. Shouldn't this be in the 'casual encounters' section?

Advertisement