Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed

• 10-06-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,812 ✭✭✭✭

Can you believe it is 20 years old this month

I'm rewatching to see the Joss Whedon's lines (he apparently was involved in the script but is uncredited)

Hopper was great as psycho Payne

Be good to see Jan de Bont back doing action films again, what happened to him btw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love Speed, it's one of the best high concept movies ever (It's Die Hard on a bus!). Mental that it's 20 years old I remember seeing it in the cinema like it was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

...the bus that couldn't slow down

That line is better than the entire film :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Just seen it last night ,deadly and sandy bullock is a fox!

It's also got a great, if spoilery, trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Just seen it last night ,deadly and sandy bullock is a fox!

A wildcat, you mean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Wow 20 years, I didn't see it in the cinema, but rented it on video and must have watched it three times! I think it still stands as a great action movie after all these years.

Pity about the sequel, the less said about that the better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

You'll believe a bus can fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw it again a few months back, gloriously entertaining and a fine example of those high-concept action films the 90's were so good for. I remember there were so many TV specials on how they did that bus jump.

I love the utter ridiculousness of Keanu and Jeff Daniel's intro to the film when their car is flung into shot like a rock

At 1:27 :pac:

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Saw it again a few months back, gloriously entertaining and a fine example of those high-concept action films the 90's were so good for. I remember there were so many TV specials on how they did that bus jump.

I love the utter ridiculousness of Keanu and Jeff Daniel's intro to the film when their car is flung into shot like a rock

Ha I love that too, hero intor, have them launch a car for NO REASON over a hill and speed down a public street. Joss Whedon's script is brilliant too

"Shoot the hostage.."
    "What?!"
    "go for the good wound and he can't get to the plane with her, clear shot"
    "you're deeply nuts you know that?"

"Remind me again Harry why did I take this job?"
    "Oh come on 30 more years of this and you get a tiny pension and cheap gold watch"
    "Cool.."

"Harry there's enough C4 on this thing to blow a hole in the world"

"You may not be too bright man, but you got some big brown hairy cajones!"

Screw it I'm watching this later. It's a pity the sequel was so utterly rubbish, bat the absolutely brilliant music though, such a waste of a killer action movie score on a terrible film.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Ye'r right, t'was a great movie. I like most of keanu;s movies, dont care about the woodiness as its mostly required of his character. Heard talk of a Point Break remake which if true is absolutely disgusting! The only thing dated about that movie is the lack of iPhones!

Anyway, Speed, Its on the Netflix Scandinavian catalog, Norway definitely and most likely the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well another 5 years have gone buy and its now over 25 years since this came out. I did not get to see this one in the cinema but did see Speed two in the cinema. While I am here is there a 3rd film?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AMKC wrote: »
    Well another 5 years have gone buy and its now over 25 years since this came out. I did not get to see this one in the cinema but did see Speed two in the cinema. While I am here is there a 3rd film?

There's only one film. 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The sequel was one of the worst movies of that decade. But the original was excellent and still holds up very well. I think the first 20 minutes is possibly the best part of it though - the elevator scenes.

The ‘90’s were excellent for these types of movies. The Rock and Face/Off are 2 more that spring to mind. Even Seagal made a decent one! Under Siege ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

AMKC wrote: »

Speed 3 starred Dermot Morgan and Ardal O'Hanlon.

Speed is a great film. Damn that disappearing/reappearing purse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really must watch it again. I'd say I haven't seen it since it came out almost. I remember actually enjoying Speed 2 when I rented it out but I was fairly young so a few explosions, fights and eye candy were all it took to make a 'good' movie. Most recently I watched Alien Resurrection again, having not seen it since release. I remembered loving it at the time. Re-watching it, I was filled with increasing dismay with ever passing minute as it's absolute crap and a stain on the Alien franchise. I can't imagine Speed 2 holding up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I love tormenting Mrs. H by :

a) threatening to watch it when we cant decide what to watch
    b) After the cinema when she asks e what I though of a film , I shrug my shoulders and go "meh, it was OK, but its no speed. It wasn't even as good as con air"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Little known fact - Speed is a loose remake of the Japanese 1976 thriller Bullet Train

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Speed is one of those films where if you havent seen it or didnt like it you simply don't like films, its up there with Terminator 2, Aliens and Die hard as one of the best action films ever

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Keanu is making sequels now.... Matrix 4 & Bill and Ted. He may reconsider a Speed 3. He still has that action movie rep about him thanks to John Wick.

It's all about the money. But actors always go full "money mode" the older they get. Realising who cares about the craft or maybe some feel they already did the craft. He's no poor man but if fans want to pay to see it. Why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My uncle gave my sister a loan of his VHS of this about a year/18 months (whatever the time frame was) after release.
    She watched it every night for 2 weeks straight, one Saturday she managed it 3 times.

I think my Dad had to end up pretending the tracking was off in the machine and he sent it back with a threat of "never allow her to borrow that again".

• Advertisement
Advertisement