Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

King Crimson is Go!

• 24-09-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭

From Robert Fripp's diary:
    So, King Crimson is in motion. This is a very different reformation to what has gone before: seven players, four English and three American, with three drummers.

The Seven-Headed Beast of Crim is in Go! mode
    (rubs hands with glee) :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Would certainly love to see them perform live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

3 drummers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Links234 wrote: »
    3 drummers?
    Yes. 3 drummers. One of them is Bill Rieflin (Ministry, R.E.M.), who has worked with Fripp on several occasions.
    Doesn't mean they'll all be playing at the same time ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

bnt wrote: »
    Yes. 3 drummers. Doesn't mean they'll all be playing at the same time ...

Now that would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will Gavin Harrison be playing with them again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Mushy wrote: »
    Will Gavin Harrison be playing with them again?

Yeah. Adrian Belew is missing though.

Full lineup is: Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and Robert Fripp.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would be great to see them, not holding out much hope of them coming to Ireland though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Would be great to see them, not holding out much hope of them coming to Ireland though.

This.

I didn't quite believe it before, but not only do we now have photos of the guys rehearsing on Tony Levin's website, we have tour dates there too, all in the USA. There's a chance I'll be in the USA (Florida) in September, and am wondering whether I might be able to make it to a gig. I've always wanted to visit Chicago, and there are two dates there.

It's worth mentioning that both Bill Rieflin is a multi-instrumentalist e.g. he contributed keyboards & guitar to Ministry and R.E.M. when he was with them. I expect he'll spend at least part of his time on keyboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

10443546_10152218123668865_394666648385546304_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Gavin's kit is in the foreground, Pat's kit is the big one at the rear left with all the electronics. Bill's kit is the tiny one, which he won't be at full-time.

The Savage Seven:
    lonreh15.jpg
    L-R: Pat, Tony, Robert, Jakko, Bill (seated), Gavin, Mel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

10259772_898071223542242_1623963899422384530_n.jpg

Passenger wrote: »
    Now that would be something.
    It is indeed something:

The wealth of experience here is pretty staggering if you take it all together.
    Pat started with Mr. Mister, did a lot of sessions including XTC's Oranges & Lemons (and played on the single version of the theme to Friends), before playing with Sylvian & Fripp, leading to King Crimson in 1994.
    Bill is best known as a core member of Ministry, replaced Bill Berry in R.E.M, and recorded with KMFDM, Pigface and Nine Inch Nails.
    Gavin is the kid of the group, having done loads of pop sessions before and after joining Porcupine Tree, has worked with related artists, and has several solo albums under his belt.

It is indeed something:

The wealth of experience here is pretty staggering if you take it all together.
    Pat started with Mr. Mister, did a lot of sessions including XTC's Oranges & Lemons (and played on the single version of the theme to Friends), before playing with Sylvian & Fripp, leading to King Crimson in 1994.
    Bill is best known as a core member of Ministry, replaced Bill Berry in R.E.M, and recorded with KMFDM, Pigface and Nine Inch Nails.
    Gavin is the kid of the group, having done loads of pop sessions before and after joining Porcupine Tree, has worked with related artists, and has several solo albums under his belt.

Now transfer that to a concert setting and I'm there. :pac: Though given the talent and experience as you said it's no surprise just how fluent they are when playing with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

This drum solo reminds me of the Dani Liebzeit (of Can) gig I saw a few months ago, Drums Off Chaos. Thrilling stuff. I'd give very much to see King Crimson.

They seem to have adopted an 8th member, but I doubt she'll be going on the tour with them:

wdstbandpic4.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think they're just kidding around

/leaves

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

They seem to have adopted an 8th member, but I doubt she'll be going on the tour with them:

wdstbandpic4.jpg

The goat's smirking like those classes in how to bleat over angular guitars and unconventional poly-rhythmic drum beats really paid off. Everyone thought that farmer was mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Looking for suitable venues in the UK with possible dates in Sept 2015 and a possible European tour.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-11-03/king-crimson-robert-fripp-aims-for-uk-shows

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

I know KC is as a revolving door as there's ever been, but it's weird to think there's no Adrian Belew. He's been the voice of KC for so long that I felt he was getting to tenured status. Apparently not. Anyway, on they go.

• Advertisement

The way I view it, this KC is one that doesn't need as strong and visible a frontman as Adrian is. The setlist has less singing, fewer conventional songs, and more instrumental workouts. Putting the drums at the front of the stage exemplifies this trend too (as well as directing the acoustic noise away from Robert and the "backline").

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Its very much Adrian's band when he is in the line up - he writes the songs (for the most part), sings them, and actually probably plays more guitar then Fripp does.

I guess Fripp wanted to get away from that with the new line up. Although, I see from Facebook that they are working on new material. If its like the album he did with the singer (I forget the name) it won't be that interesting to me, but at the same time the techno-metal of the previous line up had probably reached a dead end (even though Power To Believe was their strongest album for a decade).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Looks like they found some venues, tour continues in Aug/Sept.

DF47C1A6FA88486797DCDF7C1F2C8E8C-0000362898-0003723570-00640L-416AA65CC026468FB119DC0E44BAB0B8.jpg

Those are the UK dates, which will be followed by:
    Mon 22nd September - Olympia, Paris
    Tue 23rd September - Olympia, Paris
    Thurs 24th September - Tiolivrendenburg, Utrecht
    Fri 25th September - Tiolivrendenburg, Utrecht

(I'm thinking of Edinburgh again - already heading over next month for Steven Wilson. :cool: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Yeah just came to post it here

Beginning in Aylesbury on 31st August the band then appear in several cities in the UK and Europe throughout September, making this is most extensive list of UK dates played by King Crimson since the 1980s.

The current incarnation of the group consists of Gavin Harrison (drums), Bill Rieflin (drums), Pat Mastelotto (drums), Tony Levin (bass and vocals), Mel Collins (Sax, flute), Jakko Jakszyk (guitar, vocals) and Robert Fripp (guitar), and has been described by Rolling Stone as “one of the best new bands on the road right now.”

Mon 31st Aug, Friars, Aylesbury Waterside Theatre
    Tues 1st Sept, Friars, Aylesbury Waterside Theatre
    Wed 3rd Sept, St.David’s Hall, Cardiff
    Sat 5th Sept, Dome Concert Hall, Brighton
    Mon 7th Sept, Hackney Empire, London
    Tues 8th Sept, Hackney Empire, London
    Fri 11th Sept, Lowry, Manchester,
    Mon 14th Sept, Symphony Hall,Birmingham
    Thurs 17th Sept, Usher Hall, Edinburgh
    Mon 21st Sept, Olympia, Paris
    Tue 22nd Sept, Olympia, Paris
    Thurs 24th Sept, Tivoliredenburg, Utrecht
    Fri 25th Sept, Tivoliredenburg, Utrecht

Tickets are on-sale from 9am on Friday 6th February priced at £39.50 / £50.00 / £65.00 regionally and £50.00 / £75.00 / £85.00 in London (subject to per-ticket charge plus order processing fee) and are available from Livenation
    Tickets for the Aylesbury shows can be obtained here from Friday 6th February.
    http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5036

Edinburgh tickets are tempting @ £55 + Booking ... Live Nation Pre-Sale available now ... mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Wow. Been a KC fan since 1991 and never had an opportunity before now to see them... Pity they wouldn't play Dublin.

RayCon wrote: »
    Edinburgh tickets are tempting @ £55 + Booking ... Live Nation Pre-Sale available now ... mmmmmmmmmmm

Couldn't resist .... Edinburgh booked :cool:

Extra gigs have been added at Salford, Birmingham and Edinburgh. On sale 20 March (Friday) 9AM at the venue websites. I'm just back from seeing Steven Wilson in Edinburgh, but it is one of my favourite cities, so ... we'll see.

• Advertisement

2 tickets for King Crimson's sold out show at Usher Hall, Edinburgh, Thu 17 Sep 2015, 19:30. Cannot attend due to work commits .... gutted :mad::(

Seats are in the stalls , Row T. Cost £114.75 (€154) ... will let them go for €140 to an interested Boardsie

Advertisement