Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when moving address...

• 30-05-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

If you are moving out of your accommodation and the Electric Ireland electricity/gas is in your name, don't forget it's really important to close your account to avoid being billed after you move.
    You cannot transfer your account into e.g. the new tenant's name – they would be required to set up their own account; all you need to do is close your account, and bills after that point will not be anything for you to worry about. :)
    (Customers are never held liable by us for bills that are not in their own name).

To close your account, just take a meter reading on your last day (this will cover usage up to the point you leave) and contact us with this and the name/number of your landlord/letting agency (these contact details are required to prevent vacant premises disconnection by ESB Networks/Gas Networks Ireland if there is a delay with anyone registering after you move out). If you are not an online billing customer, provide us with your new address for forwarding your final bill based on this meter reading. If you are too busy to contact us on the day you move, don't worry – you can contact us shortly after this date.
    If you know the person who will be taking over the electricity/gas account, advise them to contact us to register an account in their name. They will also need to provide a meter reading for billing from that point onwards, as well as the electricity MPRN (meter point reference number) and/or GPRN (gas).

We can process the above here on Boards by private message also. One thing we are unable to process here on Boards is direct debit details, so if you are setting up an electricity/gas account and want to pay by direct debit (this eliminates the €300 security deposit for new customers) telephone our Customer Service on 1850 372 372 (open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday).

Best of luck with the moves!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abe27633

Great post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 legiM

Do you need to give notice to close your a/c or is the final meter reading enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi legiM,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It's not necessary to give notice; a final meter reading would suffice. The latter is important to ensure an accurate closing bill.

With our new website you can now transfer or close your Electric Ireland account(s) entirely online. See here.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Do you have to pay a fee when moving out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Timmyr wrote: »
    Do you have to pay a fee when moving out?
    Hi Timmy,

Thank you for getting in touch.

An exit fee is incurred if a customer moves out mid price-plan contract, but if a customer is not signed up to a contract there is no fee for moving out.

If you have any further queries, we are here on Boards.ie and our other social media channels until 6pm.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

I'm moving into a new apartment, but can't yet disconnect from my old apartment. Can I have both addresses active on my account before transferring the old apartment back to my landlord?

Popple3 wrote: »
    I'm moving into a new apartment, but can't yet disconnect from my old apartment. Can I have both addresses active on my account before transferring the old apartment back to my landlord?
    Hi Popple3,

There can just be one address per account number, so it would be required that you open another account for your new address (our Sales team can do this for you on 1850 30 50 90 with a meter-reading and your MPRN and if you let them know that you already have an account which will be closed in due course, they can put everything on the one profile for your records) and then when the previous address is being taken out of your name, that account will be closed for you.

For closure of your account at your previous address, a meter-reading needs to be taken on the final day of your tenancy. If the landlord submits this and reopens his account for the property, this will automatically close your account.

If you have any further queries, do let us know - we are here on Boards/Social Media until 6pm.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

Hi there,

This was a very helpful post, thanks for that, but I was wondering that when I close my account and give you my final meter reading, will you send me a paper bill and allow me to pay myself or will you take it out by direct debit? 

Thanks.

Hi there,

This was a very helpful post, thanks for that, but I was wondering that when I close my account and give you my final meter reading, will you send me a paper bill and allow me to pay myself or will you take it out by direct debit? 

Thanks.
    Hi afriendlyshark,

Thank you for getting in touch - we are happy to advise.

If a customer has Online Billing and direct debit, this won't change by account closure alone. However, the customer can request to have their Electric Ireland Online Billing and direct debit deactivated before they close their account. Online Billing deactivation will default the billing delivery method to postal, so that the customer's final bill will be posted to their forwarding address.

If a customer of less than 14 months with Electric Ireland deactivates their direct debit, the €300 security deposit charge may automatically apply to their account, but payment of this will not be required if they are closing their account shortly (the account closure itself will automatically reverse the charge). Any crossover automated reminder letters can be disregarded.

A final bill, as with previous bills, is due for payment in full two weeks from its date of issue. If the customer requires more time, we can set up a payment plan for them.

We can deactivate direct debit by private message request here on Boards.ie (please do not confirm any bank details, just the Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder and your name, address and date of birth). We can also send a request to the Online Service team to deactivate your Online Billing, and later on, we can process your account closure with the meter-reading and your forwarding address. We will also require the name and telephone number of someone who can be contacted if the property remains unregistered for supply after a certain period of time following your move-out (to prevent disconnection). This contact is usually the property company or owner.

Please let us know if you have any further queries. We are here on Boards.ie and our other Social Media channels (Facebook and Twitter) until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭suitianshi

Hi, suppose I will move one month later. Is the following procedure ok? I have chosen to use online billing and have DD set up

5days before move, cancel Direct Debit (but still keep online billing activated) ->
    move day, submit a meter reading online , and cancel my account using this link https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/online-services/moving-home/moving-out-closing-account ->
    pay online once bill is issued.

I guess I can still pay online even if I don't have DD setup.

One question: The link above requires a bill forwarding address. If i choose (and actually can) to pay online, how to fill in this ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

suitianshi wrote: »
    Hi, suppose I will move one month later. Is the following procedure ok?  I have chosen to use online billing and have DD set up

5days before move, cancel Direct Debit (but still keep online billing activated)   ->
    move day, submit a meter reading online , and cancel my account using this link https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/online-services/moving-home/moving-out-closing-account ->
    pay online once bill is issued.

I guess I can still pay online even if I don't have DD setup.

One question: The link above requires a bill forwarding address. If i choose (and actually can) to pay online, how to fill in this ?

Thanks
    Hi suitianshi,

Deactivating your direct debit before closing your Electric Ireland account will not cause an issue unless you are a customer for less than 14 months, which will cause the €300 security deposit charge to apply automatically to your account. However, payment of this security deposit will not be required if you are closing your Electric Ireland account shortly after (the account closure itself will automatically remove the charge). Any crossover automated reminder letters about the security deposit can be disregarded.

Full payment of your final bill will be required two weeks from its date of issue. If you require more time, we can set up a payment plan no problem. You can pay online via this link on the Electric Ireland website.

We recommend closing your account through the "Move-out" tab on your Online Billing. Alternatively, we can close your account for you here on Boards.ie by private message with all of the information as asked for on the move-out form.

A forwarding address refers to the postal address for a customer's final bill if they do not have Online Billing.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭suitianshi

Hi,
    I will close my account with a final meter reading next tuesday.

question:
    1. how can I get my bill after I close my account?
    2. can I still pay online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭vickers209

hi whats the procedure when leaving a house with a payg meter installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi suitianshi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

suitianshi wrote:
    how can I get my bill after I close my account?

If you remain on Electric Ireland Online Billing, you will receive the final bill by email. If you cancel your Online Billing and provide a forwarding address, the final bill will be sent to that address.
    suitianshi wrote:
    can I still pay online?

You can pay by card here.

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi vickers209,

vickers209 wrote:
    hi whats the procedure when leaving a house with a payg meter installed?

We recommend calling our colleagues in the Pay As You Go team on 1850 372 372 to close a Pay As You Go account.

Our colleagues are available Monday to Saturday, 8am to 8pm (excluding bank holidays).

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭handofdog

Hi

We are Electric Ireland customers and have been for the last few years.  

If we move address then do we have to sign up for a new contract?

Thanks

handofdog wrote: »
    Hi

We are Electric Ireland customers and have been for the last few years.  

If we move address then do we have to sign up for a new contract?

Thanks
    Hi handofdog,

Only new customers who switch to Electric Ireland are required to agree to a contract. This contract is 12 months in duration.

If a customer moves house during the 12-month contract, once they are remaining with Electric Ireland at their new home, it does not affect their contract.

If you have any other queries, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Awkward_Tiger

Hello there, 

I have just moved into a new house (renting it), and would like to change the account. 
    We had an account year ago but had to close it as we were moving to another house which the bills were shared on landlords, but now we have moved to another house and want to have our account back but we don't have our account number as we have lost our bills due to moving.

What could I do to retrieve my lost account? Or what account number do I use when I need to change the name?

Thank you

Hello there, 

I have just moved into a new house (renting it), and would like to change the account. 
    We had an account year ago but had to close it as we were moving to another house which the bills were shared on landlords, but now we have moved to another house and want to have our account back but we don't have our account number as we have lost our bills due to moving.

What could I do to retrieve my lost account? Or what account number do I use when I need to change the name?

Thank you
    Hi Awkward_Tiger,

You can switch to Electric Ireland by phoning 1850 30 50 90 with your new address's electricity meter point reference number (MPRN), an up-to-date meter-reading and your bank details (also the gas point reference number/GPRN if relevant). Just advise the Sales agent that you were a customer before, and they can find that account number with the phone number/email address that was on your account at the time.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Hello,
    I'm living in shared rented accomodation. About a year ago, a new housemate moved in and asked for her name to be added to the bill, so that she could use it as proof of address.
    I'm moving out at the start of June, and I'd like to close the account. Do we both need to contact EI to give permission?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Gadgie wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm living in shared rented accomodation. About a year ago, a new housemate moved in and asked for her name to be added to the bill, so that she could use it as proof of address.
    I'm moving out at the start of June, and I'd like to close the account. Do we both need to contact EI to give permission?
    Thanks!
    Hi Gadgie,

It is only necessary for you to close your account, there is no requirement for your housemate to give authorisation.

You can actually close your account via Electric Ireland Online Billing if you have this, or if you don't, you can do so via this form on the Electric Ireland website.

Should you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Gadgie wrote: »
    Hello,
    Thanks!
    Hi Gadgie,

It is only necessary for you to close your account, there is no requirement for your housemate to give authorisation.

You can actually close your account via Online Billing account if you have one, or if you don't, this form on the Electric Ireland website.

Should you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una
    Perfect, thanks!

I'll close the account when I move out, and she can open up a new account in her name with her payment details.

Hi Gadgie,

You are very welcome - we're happy to advise.

Yes, just provide your housemate with the meter-reading(s) you use to close your account, which she will need to open her account (you will be billed up to them, she will then be billed from them onwards) and she will also need the property's electricity meter point reference number (MPRN) which is on a bill (as well as the GPRN, gas point reference number, if relevant).

If your housemate is choosing Electric Ireland as her provider, the relevant telephone number for her to call is 1850 30 50 90 (Electric Ireland Sales).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Moving into house as new owner...at present not sure of who will be my provider. Can I open an account without a contract? (already have an EI account where I rent which will not be closed for a few months)

Hi Darando,

Yes, you can open an account with Electric Ireland Customer Service (rather than Sales) without a contract being required. A security deposit may automatically be applied to the account, which can be eliminated by setting up direct debit. The Customer Service team can set up direct debit for you.

They are available on 1850 372 372 (or 01 8529534) until 8pm Monday to Saturday (excluding public holidays) if you contact them with your MPRN and meter-reading.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Hi There, 

My tenant has done a runner on me, and left no forwarding address.  I don't even know if they were with electric Ireland or some other company. 

Can you help me with the steps i need to go through to make this right? 

Cheers

Hero777 wrote: »
    Hi There, 

My tenant has done a runner on me, and left no forwarding address.  I don't even know if they were with electric Ireland or some other company. 

Can you help me with the steps i need to go through to make this right? 

Cheers
    Hi Hero777,

If you have not done so, ensure to open an account for the energy supply, which will automatically close the tenant's account if it is still open. You would not be held liable for a balance owing in someone else's name, so if there is subsequent postal correspondence, you are not required to act on it.

The tenant may be contacted by telephone or SMS regarding any overdue balance (or if they have online billing instead of postal billing, a forwarding address is not required for their final bill).

If you are choosing Electric Ireland as your provider, the Sales team can set up a non contract account for the duration until the next tenant registers (if applicable). Electric Ireland Sales can be contacted on 1850 30 50 90 and will require the MPRN and your bank details.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grootbaas

EI: Una wrote: »
    Hi folks,

If you are moving out of your accommodation and the Electric Ireland electricity/gas is in your name, don't forget it's really important to close your account to avoid being billed after you move.
    You cannot transfer your account into e.g. the new tenant's name – they would be required to set up their own account; all you need to do is close your account, and bills after that point will not be anything for you to worry about. :)
    (Customers are never held liable by us for bills that are not in their own name).

To close your account, just take a meter reading on your last day (this will cover usage up to the point you leave) and contact us with this and the name/number of your landlord/letting agency (these contact details are required to prevent vacant premises disconnection by ESB Networks/Gas Networks Ireland  if there is a delay with anyone registering after you move out). If you are not an online billing customer, provide us with your new address for forwarding your final bill based on this meter reading. If you are too busy to contact us on the day you move, don't worry – you can contact us shortly after this date.
    If you know the person who will be taking over the electricity/gas account, advise them to contact us to register an account in their name. They will also need to provide a meter reading for billing from that point onwards, as well as the electricity MPRN (meter point reference number) and/or GPRN (gas).

We can process the above here on Boards by private message also. One thing we are unable to process here on Boards is direct debit details, so if you are setting up an electricity/gas account and want to pay by direct debit (this eliminates the €300 security deposit for new customers) telephone our Customer Service on 1850 372 372 (open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday).

Best of luck with the moves!
    Hello Una, Would you please tell me how I should go about closing my contract due to a house move with electricity included in the rental. I have a prepaid meter in the house and dont owe EI any outstanding money? Do I need to follow the above process as well and what happens to the meter that was fitted?
    Thanks

Grootbaas wrote: »
    Hello Una, Would you please tell me how I should go about closing my contract due to a house move with electricity included in the rental. I have a prepaid meter in the house and dont owe EI any outstanding money? Do I need to follow the above process as well and what happens to the meter that was fitted?
    Hi Grootbaas,

For a pay as you go (PAYG) meter the process is different. Just telephone the Electric Ireland PAYG team on 1850 372 372 with your PAYG card and they can close the account in your name.

Let us know if you have any other questions before doing so.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BartoszP

Hi

I just moved to a new home. I'm still on contract with EI. Opened it when moved into a rented apt.
    I had day/night plan in the apt. The new house has been fitted with double tarrif meter when we bought it but its been replaced with the smart meter before we moved in.
    I tried moving house from my online account but the new house meter (after i fill out the new MPRN) shows up as 24h meter. Single tarrif?
    I want to keep 2 tarrrif. What should i do?
    Shall i do the house move and then switch to day/night via EI customer service or should i contact ESB first?

With kind regards
    Bartosz

Advertisement