Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Badwulf wrote: »
    Somebody answer this boy, I wanna know too :(

Don't leave a space blank, you'll get marks for writing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Was hoping for a B1, now realising that dream is probably out the window as I come to the realisation that I know nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

Was hoping for a B1, now realising that dream is probably out the window as I come to the realisation that I know nothing.

Do all the questions you know first.... it will ease you into the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Anonamoose wrote: »
    Do all the questions you know first.... it will ease you into the exam

Okay...

So what do I do AFTER I write down my exam number then :P

Okay...

So what do I do AFTER I write down my exam number then :P

Leave and start the next Facebook .... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Is anyone else looking for just 40%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Is anyone else looking for just 40%?

Yes!

The important thing is to stay for the full length of the exam and add as much detail as you can .... a lot of marks can go for method etc.... even if answer is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nema123lol

Yo, I've been doing higher level maths up until now but i failed my mock and i don't need it for college so im taking the Ordinary paper tomorrow!

Can anyone tell me is there much of a difference on what comes up? Like are they the same topics but much easier or are they very different papers?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bob123321

Hoping there won't be too much calculus but I'm dreading that there will as I've been told just attempt everything as your getting marks for everything you do (once it's obviously some way related to the specific topic of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what should my timing be how long should i spend on qs 1-6 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sienna_xo

caolan1996 wrote: »
    what should my timing be how long should i spend on qs 1-6 ?

70 Minutes for Q1 - Q6.
    70 Minutes for Q7 - Q9.
    10 Minutes spare to look over your answers.

Q7 - Q9 carry 50 Marks each while Q1 - Q6 carry 25 marks each, so that's why you should give equal time to both.

Goodluck everyone tomorrow! ♥

is that the way its going to be broken up for q7-9 50 each in past papers they have it like 75 and 30

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sienna_xo

caolan1996 wrote: »
    is that the way its going to be broken up for q7-9 50 each in past papers they have it like 75 and 30

It should be 50 Marks each for Q7, Q8 & Q9.

I mean, that's how SEC divided the 150 marks out between the three questions in their sample papers for the 2014 exam.

Another tip is that you should convert half of the Marks awarded for each question to minutes and your target should be not to exceed that time. So for example, you shouldn't spend any longer than 12.5 minutes on a 25 Marker, or 25 minutes on a 50 Marker. Remember that you should also give 5 minutes of your time to look over the exam at the start of the exam, and 5 minutes to check your answers once you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SaoirseDuggan

Does anybody know if any theorem questions come up on paper 1? I'm pretty sure it's paper 2 but just to be safe!?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HassanNat95

no they only come up in paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Lads I'm terrified I'm going to fail the paper. I think I've passed one maths test in my entire school lifetime, and not from lack of trying.
    I'm just genuinely maths illiterate.

I get so confused when it comes to algebra, so much so that I end up writing complete s***e
    Any tips for tomorrow other than the obvious, don't leave any blanks?

Anyone got any tips on what to majority focus on for tomorrow, even though it seems we are all in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SaoirseDuggan

can somebody help me out? it's one of the first parts in number patterns I'm sure it's very basic but I can't wrap my head around it on the calculator, just say the pattern is triangle square circle, and then to find T10, it's says divide 10 by the number of terms (3) and I get 3, but in the example it says it's gets 3 with a remainder of 1 and then the answer is the first triangle ... like I don't understand the remainder bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevink7501

Is studying for 5 hours enough to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

I hope the paper today is a lot like all the previous ones, hope no questions that havnt been on any papers yet are thrown in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

can somebody help me out? it's one of the first parts in number patterns I'm sure it's very basic but I can't wrap my head around it on the calculator, just say the pattern is triangle square circle, and then to find T10, it's says divide 10 by the number of terms (3) and I get 3, but in the example it says it's gets 3 with a remainder of 1 and then the answer is the first triangle ... like I don't understand the remainder bit !

you have to do it by long division! 3 doesn't go into 10 but it goes into 9 so you'd have a remainder of 1

Here's a hastily scrawled explanation :pac:

a0ifee wrote: »
    you have to do it by long division! 3 doesn't go into 10 but it goes into 9 so you'd have a remainder of 1

Here's a hastily scrawled explanation :pac:

what question it ? year ?

Isn't there a formula in the log book for this?

Say if there was a question on income tax or net income, would you need to know the rates of PRSI and USC?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

How and what is everyone revising ? I've all the exam papers done. I'm just gonna do 2013 and 2012 again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Are functions on P1?

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    Are functions on P1?

I Think so, yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

Does anyone know if the chain rule is examined at ordinary level? :)

Best advice I would give to people who are thinking of droping down on the day from higher to ordinary is too not do it. Even our teachers advise it, while our maths are a hell of a lot easier there are also a lot of maths that are not covered on the higher level course and will look really alien to you, this is according to my year head anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Badwulf wrote: »
    Best advice I would give to people who are thinking of droping down on the day from higher to ordinary is too not do it. Even our teachers advise it, while our maths are a hell of a lot easier there are also a lot of maths that are not covered on the higher level course and will look really alien to you, this is according to my year head anyway.

Their level of maths would be much superior to ours though. I recently dropped down and I am finding it very manageable. I say if they really think there's no way of passing, there's no point in doing it.

Advertisement