Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciaran8

Any advice on what to practice tonight before tomorrow, getting worried ima fail and don't fancy repeating! Any help at all please

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Who's thinking induction will show its face?

Definitely, it was on the sample and I don't think it was on last year. I can't get my head around it though!! Hopefully we can get most marks for doing step 1, 2 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 feckin priests

The basics of everything, like financial maths, logs, diff and int.. Maybe induction and root 2 formula

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

can compound angles come up tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Btw, what paper 2 content can possibly come up tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 peanut.lover22

Do you think standard deviation and z-scores are gonna come up?

Do you think standard deviation and z-scores are gonna come up?

mabye not tomorrow but it deffo will be up

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

So hi, kind of sorry I had a look here today but too late now.
    Anyway fancy explaining how to get a) The Root of a Function and b) The Average Value of a Function? You'd be sound.

Anyway fancy explaining how to get a) The Root of a Function and b) The Average Value of a Function? You'd be sound.

what do you mean by root of a function?

avg value in integration is 1^(b-a) and then the integration part with B the larger of the two values. ie On the integral symbol it is the higher of the two numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

XtotheZ wrote: »
    what do you mean by root of a function?

avg value in integration is 1^(b-a) and then the integration part with B the larger of the two values. ie On the integral symbol it is the higher of the two numbers

Please explain what you mean by this !

• Advertisement

Please explain what you mean by this !

definite_14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

YouTube is the best for this kind of stuff.

I literally seen it for the first time two days ago, very easy but if you didnt know it and it came up it could cost ya a mark or two. Sorry, my explanation wasnt exactly great

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Jesus I've done nothing all year I was lucky in the mocks that I even passed got a D3 in paper 1 and a D1 in paper 2 I'm only sitting the honours for the extra 25 I have no idea what to study :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

So all you need to know really besides common sense is constructing surd 2 and 3, proving surd2 is irrational and the average value of a function, oui? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

Flickka wrote: »
    Does anyone know if that formula for average value of a function is in the log tables? Also in the 2011 papers, in the question on integration, is that type of question still on the course where you have to make some type of substitution and change the limits etc? I haven't been able to find any reference to it in any of the maths books...
    Thanks guys!

Nope, integration by substitution is removed. I know because now in the applied maths course they will give you the answer to an integration by substitution in order to complete the question, whereas in previous years (pre 2012 I think) you had to work that out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

If you're asked to use De Moivre's Theorem to solve the equation (insert real number + imaginary number here), does n automatically = 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

Does anyone know what the story is with Binomial theorem, can it possibly come up, or is it only on for the 2015 syllabus onwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Im about 95% sure binomial theorem is NOT on the course this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

If binomial expansion and binomial theorem are the same thing, you need to know how to do it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Im about 95% sure binomial theorem is NOT on the course this year.

I'm gonna look over it incase, there's not too much to it!

And amortisation formula for whoever was asking, you need to be able to prove it :)

Oh and we have to be able to prove sum of n to infinity and to n

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I'll actually be annoyed if they don't ask for a proof of some sort tomorrow. I made an effort to learn those proofs, it'd be nice to know I'd didn't waste my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Also there are two proofs ye are leaving out:

Tn=Sn-Sn-1
    Sn= a(1-r^t) / 1-r

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

so wait, pascals triangle is not on it?

so wait, pascals triangle is not on it?

You probably won't be asked it directly but it is on our course so you'll need to know how to do it for binomial expansion (especially if we're asked a identity using De Moivre's theorem)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Is there anywhere I can get a definitive list of things I need to learn off for tomorrow such as proofs?

I have some but not sure of everything we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    You probably won't be asked it directly but it is on our course so you'll need to know how to do it for binomial expansion (especially if we're asked a identity using De Moivre's theorem)

and is the binomial theorem people have mentioned earlier. is it not on paper 2?

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can get a definitive list of things I need to learn off for tomorrow such as proofs?

I have some but not sure of everything we need.

Prove √2 is irrational
    Construct √2 and √3
    Proof by induction:
    1+2+...+n
    1²+2²+...+n²
    1³+2³+...+n³
    a+ar+ar²+...+ar^(n-1) = a(1-r^n) / 1-r
    De Moivre's theorem for n E N, n=0 & n E Z.
    Derive sum to infinity
    Amortisation formula

and is the binomial theorem people have mentioned earlier. is it not on paper 2?

You might be thinking of Bernoulli Trials in statistics and probability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Prove √2 is irrational
    Construct √2 and √3
    Proof by induction:
    1+2+...+n
    1²+2²+...+n²
    1³+2³+...+n³
    a+ar+ar²+...+ar^(n-1) a(1-r^n) / 1-r
    De Moivre's theorem for n E N, n=0 & n E Z.
    Derive sum to infinity
    Amortisation formula

Hardly everything is it? Sounds a bit easy :pac:

Advertisement