Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Cant wait for it ;) hopefully they will be nice to us since its he first full year of PM

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Very very scared

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

I think it will be harder than last year but not half as hard as 2011/2012! Thank
    god!
    I wonder what they'all base the Context and Applications questions on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

In context and application I'm expecting a financial maths question, an exponential function/logs question and some sort of calculus question, probably integration orientated.

First 6 questions are fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cggreene

going to go over complex Numbers and financial maths. It's not gonna be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

I have no idea how to do Rates of Change questions, anyone that could help? :(

FatRat wrote: »
    In context and application I'm expecting a financial maths question, an exponential function/logs question and some sort of calculus question, probably integration orientated.

First 6 questions are fairly obvious.

Ah I'd love a Financial Maths long question!

I have no idea how to do Rates of Change questions, anyone that could help? :(

Want=GivenxNeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Anyone else done nothing for it? :o Keeping on Geography was a terrible idea.

I dont really get it :/ want= given + need? how does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

:(

Geography and maths together needs to be rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

So what do we actually need to know/prove for paper 1?

Need to know how to construct surd2 and surd3 and prove surd2 is irrational is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Need to know how to construct surd2 and surd3 and prove surd2 is irrational is it? :)

That's all I've learned, and how to get the average value of a function too.. Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I had a 7hr maths course on paper 1 last Sunday. Hoping that pays off! Also have geography in the morning.....never good :(

@LCStudent2014

Want (what you're looking for) = Given (given in question in written terms so you have to change it to maths terms) multiplied by Need (construct this from the two other parts) kind of hard to explain on this sorry!

Amortisation Formula, De Moivres Theorem for all n is an element of N also.

Hope we get to construct square root two, handy few marks ;)

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    That's all I've learned, and how to get the average value of a function too.. Is that it?

What do you mean the average value of a function? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

plmko wrote: »
    @LCStudent2014

Want (what you're looking for) = Given (given in question in written terms so you have to change it to maths terms) multiplied by Need (construct this from the two other parts) kind of hard to explain on this sorry!

Amortisation Formula, De Moivres Theorem for all n is an element of N also.

Isn't that in the log tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

plmko wrote: »
    I think it will be harder than last year but not half as hard as 2011/2012! Thank
    god!
    The contrast between the 2013 and 2011/12 papers is ridiculous. It would be amazing if it was like last years, but I'm expecting pure filth tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

How do you prove root 2 is irrational?

How do you prove root 2 is irrational?

Proof by contradiction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Does anyone know if that formula for average value of a function is in the log tables? Also in the 2011 papers, in the question on integration, is that type of question still on the course where you have to make some type of substitution and change the limits etc? I haven't been able to find any reference to it in any of the maths books...
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

Oh gosh I need a B in maths and it don't think it'll happen tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

What would be the most important things to study if you were literally trying to at least pass?

Shane15 wrote: »
    What would be the most important things to study if you were literally trying to at least pass?

Financial maths! the funny thing is I want to be an Accountant but I suck at it!

Missovoxo wrote: »
    Financial maths! the funny thing is I want to be an Accountant but I suck at it!

I definitely need to look over this, thanks. :P I used to be so good at maths, I don't know what happened LOL.

Shane15 wrote: »
    I definitely need to look over this, thanks. :P I used to be so good at maths, I don't know what happened LOL.

And complex numbers, and the root of a function and differentiation/integration.

Common sense stuff that should come up would be simultaneous equations, -b formula stuff like that!Fingers crossed!

Missovoxo wrote: »
    And complex numbers, and the root of a function and differentiation/integration.

Common sense stuff that should come up would be simultaneous equations, -b formula stuff like that!Fingers crossed!

Thanks, and yeah I love simultaneous equations haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 feckin priests

Who's thinking induction will show its face?

Advertisement