Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the weather like in NZ?

Options
  • 31-05-2014 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

What's the weather like in NZ all year round? I was in Oz a couple of years ago but I was only there from June-Aug so it wasn't that warm except when I went to Darwin.

What's it like in Auckland or Christchurch?
    Is it much different from Ireland? Does it rain much.

I'm thinking of going there in a year or two but I'm holding off until I'm qualified.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's similar but in general a bit better I think. The Summers are hotter and a bit longer and the Winters are about the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch,_New_Zealand#Climate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate

You can see that the average high for ChCh is 19, 21, 23, 22, 21, 18 for Nov through to April (that's their Summer and Autumn) compared to 15, 18, 20, 20, 17, 14 for Dublin from May through to Oct (our Summer and Autumn).

The average low's are about the same for the same time frame, well maybe a bit higher in NZ.

Simply put I wore shorts, flip flops, and T- Shirts over there (you'll actually need them) more than I have for my life cumulatively in Ireland but I still had to wrap up warm the same as I do over here for the Winter.

Auckland is a good bit more North than ChCh so it'll be warmer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

god i so want to go to NZ next year:) thinking wellington, looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's similar but in general a bit better I think. The Summers are hotter and a bit longer and the Winters are about the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch,_New_Zealand#Climate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate

You can see that the average high for ChCh is 19, 21, 23, 22, 21, 18 for Nov through to April (that's their Summer and Autumn) compared to 15, 18, 20, 20, 17, 14 for Dublin from May through to Oct (our Summer and Autumn).

The average low's are about the same for the same time frame, well maybe a bit higher in NZ.

Simply put I wore shorts, flip flops, and T- Shirts over there (you'll actually need them) more than I have for my life cumulatively in Ireland but I still had to wrap up warm the same as I do over here for the Winter.

Auckland is a good bit more North than ChCh so it'll be warmer there.

Was in Auckland in June before and it was baltic. Shorts were an absolute no no

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

June is their Winter though?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Im from Tauranga but live here in Ireland and always laugh when people say to me that they heard Ireland and New Zealand have the same weather, Yeah maybe if your talking about Invercargill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Liam90 wrote: »
    Im from Tauranga but live here in Ireland and always laugh when people say to me that they heard Ireland and New Zealand have the same weather, Yeah maybe if your talking about Invercargill...

+1000, I've almost died laughing over comments like that a lot of times. IMHO the only similarity between the two countries is the sense of humour.

OP, NZ is long and skinny, with mountains in the middle of each island. Somewhere in the country there is pretty much every climate you can imagine. (Yes, even rainforest ... on the top-west of the South Island).

Overall, as others have said, a bit warmer in the summer (or a lot warmer if you're in the top 1/2 of the North Island), and not quite so cold in winter.

But the biggest difference is n the number of days where it stays fine (or wet!) all day.

And in the quality of the sun when it's out properly. In seven years in Ireland, including last summer, I've never yet seen sun as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

The number two thing I miss about NZ is the weather (number one is my family).

When it rains in NZ, it is usually over quickly, and then the skies clear up. The summers offer more good days, and while winters are similar in terms of rainfall and temperatures, again there is less overcast cloudy days. A great Irish summer that has Irish people still talking about that 'great summer' with nostalgia years later is only an average NZ summer. Even up until mid April I can call my folks and find they are having better weather in Hamilton than we are having in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NZ has lot of dramatically different weather depending where you are. North is sub tropical, south is like scotland, west coast gets gigantic amounts of rain, Wellington is know for epic winds etc. Summer droughts are common too. Auckland and Chch will differ a lot, being further north it'll never get as cold during the winter and barely ever get frosts and ice. The odd tropical storms hits it though.

Yesterday in New Plymouth was clear skies and 17C, not bad for early winter. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wellington is a fantastic place to learn to fly or sail :) But its no ALWAYS windy, the last 3-4 days for example have been lovely sunshine and calm winds. But as others have said there are many microclimates. For example, the Kapiti coast where I live is always 2-3 degrees warmer then Wellington city. But in a northerly gale we get hammered, whereas a southerly doesnt rattle the house at all but brings cold up from the Antarctic.

For me usually December-April=shorts and t-shirt weather. Outside of that 2 layers needed, sometimes 3 in July/August/Sept. If you're Irish you'll find the winters fairly mild apart from the gales that roll through every few weeks.

Advertisement