Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Alt/Indie Opinions

Options
  • 27-05-2014 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Submarine is a better Whipping Boy album than Heartworm.

Come at me bro :cool;

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Isn't Alt/Indie dead in the traditional sense?

What was the last better than decent alt/indie record, The Postal Service's, 'Give Up'? (2003)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Neon Bible is better than Funeral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

BrushyMan wrote: »

What was the last better than decent alt/indie record, The Postal Service's, 'Give Up'? (2003)
    The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream. A couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Isn't Anything is better than Loveless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream. A couple of months ago.

Ah, come on! It's an OK record. Heaps of 'nothing new'. I'm not sold that it's a gamechanger tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Slave Ambient is better imo. Still sailing too close to the 80s though, so not exactly ground breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Submarine is a better Whipping Boy album than Heartworm.

Come at me bro :cool;

I don't get Whipping Boy at all.

I'm bewildered that it (HW) is consistently voted the best Irish album of all time - there's a reason it didn't do the business anywhere outside of Ireland.

Furthermore Ireland's record of producing great indie bands is terrible compared to (say) Scotland:

Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, Beta Band, Belle & Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand, JAMC, Django Django, Big Country - where are the Irish equivalents?

Empty stadium rock & boybands - that's Ireland's musical legacy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Chicks in converse/flowers in their hair- does not make them 'indie'

JJ72 were massively under-rated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That is crazy talk. Even regarding The Postal Service/Death Cab for Cutie as decent alt/indie is frankly shocking. There's been a heap of great albums in the last 11 years.

I really don't agree with the hype surrounding Future Islands.

Th Horrors should be huge, one stone cold masterpiece in "Primary Colours", one fantastic album in "Skying" and still too early to judge "Luminous" but I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Radiohead reached their artistic peak with Kid A.

The Second Coming is a fantastic album, not as good as The Stone Roses' debut, but pretty close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

The term "alternative" is in itself extremely pretentious, and the term "indie" has lost it's meaning for the most part.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

seachto7 wrote: »
    Slave Ambient is better imo. Still sailing too close to the 80s though, so not exactly ground breaking.

What's wrong with the eighties?

loyatemu wrote: »

I'm bewildered that it (HW) is consistently voted the best Irish album of all time - there's a reason it didn't do the business anywhere outside of Ireland.

Furthermore Ireland's record of producing great indie bands is terrible compared to (say) Scotland:

Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, Beta Band, Belle & Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand, JAMC, Django Django, Big Country - where are the Irish equivalents?

Empty stadium rock & boybands - that's Ireland's musical legacy :(

Rollerskate Skinny were pretty good!

daUbiq wrote: »
    What's wrong with the eighties?

Nothing, but to call War on Drugs ground breaking would be stretching it seeing as he/they tip their hat to the 80s.

Still very good though.

loyatemu wrote: »

Well, they got on Jools Holland, which was a good platform. Who knows? Maybe there were label or management issues too that hindered them?

Add in the fact the singer was nuts,and they fell out with each other in the band, how could this possibly work in terms of furthering their careers.

While the album might not be as good as people say it is, it's still better than a lot of sh*te that did well around the world from the same time period.

Why does Glenn Hansard look so tormented, sad and desolate in every bloody picture of him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Why does Glenn Hansard look so tormented, sad and desolate in every bloody picture of him?
    Because he grew up in Finglas and got bullied at school?

I'd be the same if I was Glen Hansard.

Interpol's "Antics" is better than "Turn on The Bright Lights".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Breeders > Pixies
    Sebadoh > Dinosaur Jr

Arctic Monkeys are over rated

seachto7 wrote: »
    Nothing, but to call War on Drugs ground breaking would be stretching it seeing as he/they tip their hat to the 80s.

Still very good though.

I quite like the new War on Drugs album, I find it quite uplifting... you're right though, it's not ground breaking, very little modern popular music is ground breaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Ah, come on! It's an OK record. Heaps of 'nothing new'. I'm not sold that it's a gamechanger tho.
    Never said it was a game-changer. I just gave it as a recent example of an album that I think is better than decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Morgans

Promenade by The Divine Comedy is the greatest Irish album of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭mosstin

Morgans wrote: »
    Promenade by The Divine Comedy is the greatest Irish album of all time.

Viva Dead Ponies by Fatima Mansions is the greatest Irish album of all time. :D Cathal Coughlan is also the finest lyricist this country has produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Speaking of Cathal Coughlan here's a really unpopular opinion: Microdisney were boring.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Speaking of Cathal Coughlan here's a really unpopular opinion: Microdisney were boring.

Apart from a few great songs would not disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

smokedeels wrote: »
    Breeders > Pixies

Funny.

• Advertisement

The Irish music alternative music scene, such as it is, is almost uniformly dreadful. Too self-celebrating, po-faced and safe.

Advertisement