Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where you goin' city boy? - the off topic and chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Khannie wrote: »
    Sound. I'll give that a whirl. Thanks.

Petersons have moved up the road from their old shop, on to nassau street (i get my pipe tabacco there). If your heading up to Grafton Street they're on the left. Think judge Roy beans used to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Heading to India? Careful now......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Petersons have moved up the road from their old shop, on to nassau street (i get my pipe tabacco there). If your heading up to Grafton Street they're on the left. Think judge Roy beans used to be there.

Perfect. Thanks. I'll spin down there tomorrow.

Thanks for that. I went up at lunchtime today and got:

2 x toothpicks
    1 x spring
    2 x missing screwdriver heads (from the cybertool)

Total, including fitting the spring for me (he offered), was 10.60 and the screwdriver heads made up nearly all of that. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Had to sleep in the vehicle overnight on Sunday. Broke down 2 hours from help and no aa cover. Was delighted id came prepared :) torch, spare blokia phone (smartphone wasn't much use after few hours) and sleeping bag were invaluable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Had to sleep in the vehicle overnight on Sunday. Broke down 2 hours from help and no aa cover. Was delighted id came prepared :) torch, spare blokia phone (smartphone wasn't much use after few hours) and sleeping bag were invaluable.
    This is what im always trying to get through to family and friends Its not preparing for TEOTWAWKI its preparing for things in general Vehicle break down Job loss Illness its only when they are stuck without anything that they wake up and prep

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interesting that:
    There a special magistrate ruled Speronis was not guilty of not having a proper sewer or electrical system; but was guilty of not being hooked up to an approved water supply.
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/24790572/cape-woman-living-of-the-grid-challenged-by-city

That seems at odds with the blog version?

In an (sub)urban locality it would appear that the local CoCo can take a much stronger line than perhaps a rural CoCo would. A very large and very blunt hammer to make sure all worker-bots citizens conform to the same standard. :(

Actually, she seems to be an interesting case in general, here is her blog http://www.offthegridstory.com/ and here are a couple of stories about her time spent behind bars recently for alleged animal cruelty (charges dropped). http://www.jrn.com/fox4now/news/Off-grid-womans-principals-not-a-good-fit-in-jail-263719681.html and http://www.news-press.com/story/news/local/cape-coral/2014/06/17/cape-off-the-grid-woman-released-jail/10703603/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

well, it's quite difficult to be totally independent of the Gubmint/State/County/whatever flavour of bureaucracy yer havin'. Between housing codes, planning permissions, sanitation laws (ie, septic tanks), vehicle taxing and insuring, personal driving licensing and all the rest, it's very hard not to interact with the Man somewhere along the line. I'd say the best way to do is to try and make your interaction with bureaucracy as painless as possible.

regards
    Stovepipe

anyone on twitter??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Opsec has been breached lads, they know we're here https://twitter.com/boards_ie/status/497749449654165504 :pac:

2013_12_03_quiet_by_tomfonder-d6wj18r.png

Looking at buying a fishing kayak as a xmas present to myself. Should be cool enough :)

Looking at buying a fishing kayak as a xmas present to myself. Should be cool enough :)

Often thought about that myself but iv enough hobbies and think i may be pushing my luck as it os between gym and hunting ect!

aaakev wrote: »
    Often thought about that myself but iv enough hobbies and think i may be pushing my luck as it os between gym and hunting ect!

Can never stick to a gym. too many ponces in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Can never stick to a gym. too many ponces in the place.

it just about finding the right one, walk in the door and if theres more free weights then cardio, it should be fairly okay

it just about finding the right one, walk in the door and if theres more free weights then cardio, it should be fairly okay

at least with a fishing kayak i may catch dinner too :) Are you still at the horses?

not as much as I'd like. I was doing a nice bit of hacking during the summer, but the last few months it's been minimal.

not as much as I'd like. I was doing a nice bit of hacking during the summer, but the last few months it's been minimal.

Should get a bit of hunting in over xmas. Uncle has a serious horse for me this year :)

home tomorrow after a month working 7 days.... going buying lots of new stuff when the cheque clears :)

• Advertisement

"Off the Grid: Into the woods and away from the world"

An interesting piece on Russian and Ukrainian men living off-grid in the woods. These guys seem to be escaping their past rather than actively looking to live off-grid, but well worth a look.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2015/03/04/off-the-grid-into-the-woods-and-away-from-the-world/?tid=sm_tw

So with the great 2015 Boards.ie re-categorisation, our humble but much loved forum for S&SS is being moved from Society to Recreation & Hobbies. I have asked for it to be moved to Society & Culture, but who knows what will happen. If anyone else feels that this is more than just a "recreational hobby", then feel free to add your piece here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057395275

We all get an equal say in this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Tabnabs wrote: »
    So with the great 2015 Boards.ie re-categorisation, our humble but much loved forum for S&SS is being moved from Society to Recreation & Hobbies. I have asked for it to be moved to Society & Culture, but who knows what will happen. If anyone else feels that this is more than just a "recreational hobby", then feel free to add your piece here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057395275

We all get an equal say in this process.

Not exactly a hobby is it when we get bad weather, strikes or power cuts?

+1 for Society & Culture.

Edit> Plus we should be as far away from Zombie Survival as possible not in the same category.

have been using my stuff for a practical reason the past week. Spent a good chunk of money on stuff i bought to sell on but it is slower to shift than i expected. Therefore money got very tight at the end of the month. so ive been breaking into the non perishable items ive stored and getting my meat etc on the reduced aisle. Thank god i had it as its no fun having no money.

ZB3aXa4.jpg

Bought 8 acres of land :) going to work towards being a lot more self sufficient in the future.

Bought 8 acres of land :) going to work towards being a lot more self sufficient in the future.

Congratulations, a far bigger achievement than my boring day, I made lists of my stuff, all that did was depress me and remind me I had too much stuff and make far too many lists :(

So tell us about this land? Woodland, arable, mixed, sloping, hilly, remote????

Obviously no one is expecting a grid reference or picture from google earth :)

congratulations so whats the plan for the 8th acres?

• Advertisement

I'd love to buy a few acres and throw up a log, eh, shed. ...

Advertisement