Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

• 16-05-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Alpha 4 is out, I'm on premium beta so I have to wait until the 30th to try the latest builds but the single player missions that you get with the premium beta have been fun so far. I play a lot of battlefield and arma so I wasnt sure that flying and fighting with a space ship would hold much interest for me but they have some really interesting game mechanics. The main ones being that not only do you have to avoid being shot and balance power between systems in your ship but you also have to manage your ships temperature. By going into stealth mode you reduce your chance of being locked onto but you have the drawback that your ship holds in heat (and your shield is off) and if your temperature gets too high your ship's weapons stop working. So, mid-battle you might have to use your heat sink to dump heat quickly but this reveals your location and because of having no shield on you have to bolt out of there. I'm looking forward to getting access to the multiplayer content such as trading, docking in space stations and using the hyperspace jump:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Another video that captures most of what the latest Alpha brings and will be available to premium beta buyers on the 30th of may:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

when will the game go live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Was very tempted by this, but really had to curb my early access backing ways. How demanding is it to run, jumbobreakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Thanks for posting. It's looking very good so far.

I'm interested in both this and star citizen, although SC is still very early in development phase afaik, and it's not certain that a game will be released eventually.

• Advertisement

From their store the minimum system requirements are:
    Direct X 11
    Quad Core CPU ( 4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
    2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
    DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
    Nvidia GTX 260
    ATI 4870HD
    Internet connection

So running fine on my 4770K + nvidia 780 and I'm using keyboard and mouse.

I backed it during the kickstarter last year with a small amount and then was able to upgrade to the premium beta a few months ago so it broke the cost up a bit. I loved Frontier on the Amiga so I couldnt resist even if it wasn't the most sensible purchase :). Another thing that sold it was the Oculus Rift support.

Here's a summary of how the galaxy will work and all the past newsletters are here too:
    http://eepurl.com/TOdBf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I'm interested in both this and star citizen, although SC is still very early in development phase afaik, and it's not certain that a game will be released eventually.

with over 40million dollars in crowdfunding backing it will have to be

with over 40million dollars in crowdfunding backing it will have to be

either that or the developers will have to go into hiding. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah lol, 40 million could buy a lot of hiding places :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We'd still find them.

I'm more excited about Elite to be honest, as Star Citizen is a long way off it's final form (!!). This looks a lot further along, and i can't wait to give it a shot, especially if i can get my hands on a Rift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there any indication as to the variety of activities in this? I mean, the previous ones had cargo hauling and fighting, with some mining thrown in, and that was pretty much it. The context of the hauling and fighting changed, but it was all essentially the same. Have they said if there's anything else to do, like exploration, owning companies etc?

That's the only thing the worries me about this. I wouldn't have much of an interest repeating things over and over on increasing difficulty levels, just for an Elite title and exploring on it's own would be fairly meaningless if there's no incentive other than your own curiosity.

That's true actually. A billion stars of nothing is still nothing.

That's one of the things that interests me in Star Citizen, in that exploration is a viable career with scanning asteroids, salvaging old wrecks, discovering nav points etc. Hopefully they have plans for something similar to occupy people in Elite. It'd be odd if they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I read inthe FAQ that some features of the DLC will involve first person elements.
    Can I walk around the ship, planets and space stations?Edit

Yes, you will be able to walk around ship interiors, board and steal other ships, walk around in space stations, do space walks to repair your ship, operate land and underwater vehicles and walk on full 1:1 scale populated planets with living cities, forests and be able to big-game hunt wildlife as part of expansions.
    The scope for Elite is huge, so a sensible strategy is used to add to the game in stages.
    See this Zoo Tycoon - Dev Diary for a glimpse of the technology that Frontier Developments have for this.

I think the game will be expanded on long term, so I hope the depth of the game will grow in time. Looking forward to the sheer scale. It could be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

humanji wrote: »
    Is there any indication as to the variety of activities in this? I mean, the previous ones had cargo hauling and fighting, with some mining thrown in, and that was pretty much it. The context of the hauling and fighting changed, but it was all essentially the same. Have they said if there's anything else to do, like exploration, owning companies etc?

That's the only thing the worries me about this. I wouldn't have much of an interest repeating things over and over on increasing difficulty levels, just for an Elite title and exploring on it's own would be fairly meaningless if there's no incentive other than your own curiosity.

Exploration is designed as a viable profession. The map data available to players from authorities is relatively low detail and gets worse once you move outside the core systems. So those authorities and I think other players, can trade in map data, with places of interest getting the best prices.

Players can discover entire new star systems and dark systems (planetary systems with no star) and features within known systems such as planets, asteroids, comets, shipwrecks, "beauty spots" and miscellaneous freaky space anomalies.

On the point of heat management, exploration functions such as scanning and launching probes increase your heat signature making the player highly visible to anyone else in the system.

Exploration is designed as a viable profession. The map data available to players from authorities is relatively low detail and gets worse once you move outside the core systems. So those authorities and I think other players, can trade in map data, with places of interest getting the best prices.

Players can discover entire new star systems and dark systems (planetary systems with no star) and features within known systems such as planets, asteroids, comets, shipwrecks, "beauty spots" and miscellaneous freaky space anomalies.

On the point of heat management, exploration functions such as scanning and launching probes increase your heat signature making the player highly visible to anyone else in the system.

Full details here:
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6418

The same forum answers pretty much any and all questions on features in the game. Very comprehensive.

Cheers!

I love the idea of discovering planets and solar systems. Would be great if they had a ton of random things to find as well (derelict ships, spacial anomolies, ancient tech etc...). Basically the best parts of Star Trek.

Kiith wrote: »
    I love the idea of discovering planets and solar systems. Would be great if they had a ton of random things to find as well (derelict ships, spacial anomolies, ancient tech etc...). Basically the best parts of Star Trek.
    Green chicks in bikinis?

Of course. No day exploring the galaxy is complete without a sexy Orion slave girl to come home to :P

• Advertisement

Malevolent Entities with Ulterior Motives are also an extremely important part of space exploration, but sadly no mention of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I just found out about this game and star citizen today and now i need to start saving for a new pc to play one of them on. or both of them. Star citizen sounds better imho, but as long as i can be a space pirate or Mal Reynolds incarnate i will be a happy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Elite: Dangerous Progress Diary #12

I think the system specs just jumped a tad :pac:

Intel Haswell I7 and gtx780ti minimum along with 32GB 2133mhz ram.....

*screams and faints*

:D

That is pretty spectacular looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks fantastic.. I may need to buy a gaming PC again :)

I just figured out what the new Hyperspace jump sequence reminds me of too!

In fact from the bridge of that Pyton(?) you could almost rename it Destiny :)

I wonder if we'll get to have a 'this is no cave....' experience if you choose to lank on a random asteroid. :D

Anecdotal evidence, but I've heard from some Alpha backers that it's fairly forgiving if you're willing to drop some video settings.

I really hope so, because I don't think my 2013 iMac is much of a powerhouse.

Looks like Elite: Dangerous will support the Oculus Rift Devkit 2:

https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/471717110679220224/photo/1

• Advertisement

Who's in the beta (hopefully. I'm looking at you Star Citizen!!!) tomorrow? I caved and bought into it, just because I've more money than sense (and not that much money, actually).

Advertisement