Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I watched this based on some great reviews and found it quite surprising. It had the feel of one of those irritating,homely ITV shows set in Yorkshire about community nurses etc,the sort of thing your granny might watch, but then it threw up some very dark stuff into the mix.

It's a weird combination of heart, grit and suspense/terror. I'm not sure I'll go back for more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Same. I was expecting a bit of light evening viewing, nothing too heavy. Also tuned in because Irish actress Charlie Murphy is in it. Very surprised by what it actually was.

Have to say I'm very impressed though. Not sure I would say I'm "enjoying" it as it's very dark. I'm definitely hooked though.

I'm finding the home life stuff just as intriguing as the actual police stuff.

^ Same. I was expecting a bit of light evening viewing, nothing too heavy. Also tuned in because Irish actress Charlie Murphy is in it. Very surprised by what it actually was.

Have to say I'm very impressed though. Not sure I would say I'm "enjoying" it as it's very dark. I'm definitely hooked though.

I'm finding the home life stuff just as intriguing as the actual police stuff.

I agree, I'm afraid I don't really like crime dramas as a genre, I'd be delighted if it was just home stuff.Sarah Lancashire is such a great actress too,she puts,199% in. The writer also wrote Last Tango in Halifax, which despite having the most groan inducingly twee premise, ended up being absolutely fantastic and completely avoided the sickly sweet potholes it should've been littered with. It's all "home stuff".
    It's on Netflix if you ever fancy a watch.:)

Same writer writes Scott and Bailey for ITV too, which I like. I don't mind the crime stuff, it's not a nice situation but they haven't been overly graphic with it or anything.

I got around to watching the second episode of this finally and I'm also hooked, it's actually really good.

• Advertisement

Episode 3 - Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I wasn't expecting much from this but it is really good (and getting better as it goes on). The scene where the
    young Policewoman was killed was jaw dropping, disturbing to watch but very well done

Sarah Lancashire is terrific, she should be up for awards for her performance.

Skid X wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting much from this but it is really good (and getting better as it goes on). The scene where the
    young Policewoman was killed was jaw dropping, disturbing to watch but very well done

Sarah Lancashire is terrific, she should be up for awards for her performance.

I agree, I always associate Lancashire with her role in Corrie all those years ago, even though I've seen her in other things since. Had no idea she was so good.

That scene you mention was brutal! I couldn't believe it, I thought
    she'll be fine, she'll be in a coma or something for a few days and then she'll wake up towards the end and tell them who did it, then he drove over her again, and again.... shocking.
    It was also quite beautifully shot, that whole sequence, with the fading light, the police cars driving through town with the lights coming on, the subtle music in the background. It's a very well made series.

I think one of the underlying points, if that's the right word, of the series is the dangers the police face on a day to day basis. They're not laying it on too thick but it does make you stop and think a bit. They never know what they're going to come face to face with every time they respond to a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Good point. Its clear this isn't some elite squad in London dealing with international terrorists. Thats the impression you often get from cop shows. This shows that country life for your average PC Plod is more than just catching poachers and having a laugh in the local.
    This arrived with virtually no hype and is turning out to be the UK show of the year so far.

In my opinion, the name 'Happy Valley' really doesn't do this programme justice.

It's like a really poor English Essay title. It could be anything from a whimsical comedy to yet another reality show. Something a bit meatier might have attracted more viewers to take a look.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    In my opinion, the name 'Happy Valley' really doesn't do this programme justice.

It's like a really poor English Essay title. It could be anything from a whimsical comedy to yet another reality show. Something a bit meatier might have attracted more viewers to take a look.

I don't know, it's doing alright in the ratings. 5.7 million last night, top show outside of soaps.

There is a reason Sarah Lancashire has a golden handcuffs deal. 5 million people would tune in to watch her read the phone book. It helps that the rest of the cast is excellent and the plot is half decent.

Episode 3 was incredible. I can't wait for more. Generally I hate anything from the crime genre but Sarah Lancashire just adds so much to anything she is in, she is utterly compelling. It's very well written too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Binged watched all 3 episodes yesterday.. more gold from The Beeb.

Well, holy s**t.

Well, holy s**t.

QFT. This show is approaching classic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well, holy s**t.

Is there many episodes left ?

I've been loving this series so far even though I've been hiding behind a cushion a lot. It's seriously seriously dark in places and that hi-lighted amoral psycho is just terrifying to watch.

Sarah lancashire is fantastic and I can't pick any actor as being bad.

Excellent cast, compelling writing and so real to watch.

When I hear people ranting and raving about shows like 'revenge' I just want them to watch something like 'happy valley' and realise what good tv really is.

^ 2 episodes left.

I thought they were going to drag the kidnap thing out for all 6 episodes. Fully expected Catherine to leave the mothers house without finding anything. Wonder where it'll go now?

I was physically withdrawing from the telly during that last scene, didn't realise I was doing it either. Gripping stuff.

This is getting better and better.

When you think the plot has more or less wrapped up for the week, you get a thunderbolt like that.

Brilliant script, direction and acting. Seven days is too long to wait until the next episode!

Do we think.... not really a spoiler but just in case.....
    Tommy is going to go on the run and end up taking Ryan?

• Advertisement

Do we think.... not really a spoiler but just in case.....
    Tommy is going to go on the run and end up taking Ryan?

Distinct possibility. He knows where the kid goes to school and can be charming when he needs to be. His boss at the camp is scared ****less of him so getting cash won't be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

4th episode really was superb... the final minute with
    Ann dragging Catherine up the stairs, onto the street and to the police car
    just just nerve-shredding stuff!

Wow watched it tonight. I hope Catherine is ok, my God that was so gripping. I was imploring her to radio for support before she went into the basement. I haven't got that involved in anything in a long time.

Already can't wait for next week.

Spoiler ? not really more of a "I was just wondering if"
    Does anyone think they next 2 weeks will see a storyline around her sister? Johns mother said that she'd heard about the little boy from some junkies. Catherines sister used to be an addict and was one of the only people to know about the rape.

Wow watched it tonight. I hope Catherine is ok, my God that was so gripping. I was imploring her to radio for support before she went into the basement. I haven't got that involved in anything in a long time.

Already can't wait for next week.

Spoiler ? not really more of a "I was just wondering if"
    Does anyone think they next 2 weeks will see a storyline around her sister? Johns mother said that she'd heard about the little boy from some junkies. Catherines sister used to be an addict and was one of the only people to know about the rape.

My mum and I were actually shouting at the telly at the end. "press your button on the radio!!!" and other such things :)

I wondered the same thing about the sister. I don't think she'd have spilled it recently but it's possible she spilled it when she was still using and whoever she said it to only remembered when talking to Tommy's mother after he was released. You'd have to assume the kid will come into the story now Tommy knows he's there. Unless the only reason they had him find out was so he'd confront Catherine giving her a reason to go back to his mother's house?

My mum and I were actually shouting at the telly at the end. "press your button on the radio!!!" and other such things :)

I wondered the same thing about the sister. I don't think she'd have spilled it recently but it's possible she spilled it when she was still using and whoever she said it to only remembered when talking to Tommy's mother after he was released. You'd have to assume the kid will come into the story now Tommy knows he's there. Unless the only reason they had him find out was so he'd confront Catherine giving her a reason to go back to his mother's house?

I think he seemed surprisingly interested in the kid so he'll definitely be looking for some sort of contact with him through whatever means he sees fit. Hopefully not a kidnap story. I'm not sure my nerves or my reputation in the neighbourhood would stand it. Anymore shouting at the tv and I'll be in trouble:)

I was surprised his mum knew her daughter and spoke of her in a familiar way. It didn't seem likely that the daughter would've been friends with him or would know his junkie mother. There could be a story there too!

I was surprised his mum knew her daughter and spoke of her in a familiar way. It didn't seem likely that the daughter would've been friends with him or would know his junkie mother. There could be a story there too!

She was seeing him for a while before he raped her, was she not? I thought that's what they said in one of the earlier episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just watched episode 1, will watch the others this weekend to catch up. Finished up watching Last Tango in Halifax a few months ago. Sarah Lancashire is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,758 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is nerve-wracking stuff!

First thought when I finished watching this week's episode (about five minutes ago) was that Catherine was dead, Ann was saved, and it was all over.

Now I hear there's two more episodes???

Brilliant telly - I don't manage to catch many mini-series, but by golly I'm glad I got this one.

^ I knew there was 6 episodes but when this week's episode ended like that, and I'm sure it said in the corner of the screen at the end that the DVD was available now, I was worried it was the end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Knew I recognised the younger police officer, she was in the Bletchley Circle series as well (one of the leads).

Advertisement