Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't want to go to college

Options
  • 12-05-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently finished a one year plc course, think I failed one module cause it was so hard (if you fail one module you fail the whole course). Anyway, I repeated my leaving cert last year and it didn't go down so well.

I'm working in a supermarket at the moment and work 20-25 hours a week. I know I just want to work in retail and not music, what I DID want to do earlier in life. I just need to get a good full time job or I could get promoted? People always say "You'll never get a good full-time job without a college degree" is a load of crap. My assisstant manager got promoted when he was only 19 and he didn't go to college!

What do you think of this and did you not go college and what's your career.
    BTW, don't tell me to go to college, because I won't. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Diligent, hard workers will make it in their chosen field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Depend what you want out of life/your career. I would say you are unlikely to become a globe trotting executive on a 6 figure salary without a degree in this day and age. But that's not what everyone wants. If you are happy working in retail feel free to stay there. YOu should keep in mind though that your earnings are unlikely to increase massively. Also if you are going to stay there long term you would want to be looking at their pension options etc. if there are any. I think its grand to work in retail for a prolonged period, just make sure you aren't getting exploited by your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blondegirl666

I think there is too much pressure from my peers to go to college when I genuinely don't want to go. They make it seem as if college is the most important thing in the world and If you don't go your screwed. Personally like you, I don't believe that. College just wouldn't be for me. I suffer from anxiety issues and I know if I go to college those problems would just get worse and I wouldn't be happy. I know tons of people without degrees and they lead sucessful, happy lives. For some reason I feel young people have become extremely snobby about college and towards people who don't go. It's like they look down on you or something. I'm like 'calm down love, your only doing an arts course'. The most important thing is that YOUR happy in what you are doing. It doesn't matter what other people think and from there on you'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Hi Blondegirl666, Sorry to hear about your anxiety issue's, I was like you when I left school I went to college for 1 year and it wasnt for me(the course was very tough and i had no real interest). I was under the impression I am happy with what i was doing and that I work hard and I will get on, then the reality Hit years later, As we get older we take on more responsibilities in life(Cars / Rent/ Bills / Children etc) but the wages that are supplied in retail etc are low paying and to have a comfortable lifestyle then you might struggle. To recieve a good salary then a qualification is required. It isnt snobbery but more a standard that is required by employers.

What I recommend for you to do (which i did) is drop what you did if you want. Continue to work in retail and work hard. Progess within the industry, for example go from store sales person to supervisor to management to owner etc. you never know as you try and progress they might be 'parts' of the job you enjoy( maybe, doing the books, how much the shop took in vs outgoing, stock take etc) and then you might have an interest in accountancy or maybe you can go into business management. I understand what you are saying but i recommend finding a course that you are interested in that is relevant to the role you are working in. get a qualification while working and it will benefit you greatly. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Don't forget that you can always go back to college in the future should you decide. College is not the be all and end all of life. Many many people have happy successful lives without a degree.
    As mentioned above a good attitude and hard work will get you far.
    If you are happy that's the most important thing. There is more to life than big house big car and big career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

You do not need a degree to make a decent living, or any kind of living for that matter. Become skilled, gain some experience in your chosen profession and work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

You can have a career without a degree. However you have no fallback and maybe less oppurtunities. Also if you are young, it is very possible your outlook in life may change when you are older. There are other options though as mentioned: working and earning a degree parttime aswell, or go to college later as a mature student. I only decided to go to college at 29, just worked various jobs, working my way up in IT, when i left school until then.I never thought i would go to college, but as i got older, i figured out what i really wanted to do and it made the most sense to get a qualification, to open up oppurtunities here and abroad in something i would enjoy doing and that would challenge me. Just my 2 cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi, I recently finished a one year plc course, think I failed one module cause it was so hard (if you fail one module you fail the whole course). Anyway, I repeated my leaving cert last year and it didn't go down so well.

I'm working in a supermarket at the moment and work 20-25 hours a week. I know I just want to work in retail and not music, what I DID want to do earlier in life. I just need to get a good full time job or I could get promoted? People always say "You'll never get a good full-time job without a college degree" is a load of crap. My assisstant manager got promoted when he was only 19 and he didn't go to college!

What do you think of this and did you not go college and what's your career.
    BTW, don't tell me to go to college, because I won't. Thanks.

If you are being honest with yourself about why you don't want to go to college then fine, don't. But a bit of self interrogation is important now and then. Did failing the PLC module and not doing so well in the LC repeats make you lose confidence in your ability to perform well in college? Because I know lots of people who did very well in college who wouldn't have been particularly successful in school. They were just interested in the subject they chose.
    Also, do you really want to work for the next few decades in retail? Sometimes part time work can be great craic when you work with a good bunch of people, but then a few people leave and a few more come in and the dynamic is changed. As another poster said, try getting experience in different roles in retail.
    College isn't just about getting a qualification, it does expose you to different ideas and types of people that you won't generally meet in your routine 9-5 life. I'm not telling you to go to college, but maybe be a bit more open to the idea for later if the opportunity arises.

Advertisement