Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-Plane

• 04-02-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Just bought this for my laptop with the money i saved from packing in the smokes :D

Im wondering about how well it will run tho....

Minimum System Specifications
    X-Plane 10 requires, at the minimum,

Dual Core, 2.5 GHz or faster
    2 GB of RAM
    A video card with at least 500 MB of VRAM.
    DVD-ROM

Recommended System Specifications
    For the best experience, we recommend the following system specs:

a 3 GHz, multi-core CPU (or, even better, multiple processors),
    4 GB of RAM,
    a DVD-ROM, and
    a DirectX 10-capable (DX11 preferred) video card with 2 GB of on-board, dedicated VRAM.

What i Have..... I know nothing about the inside of computers. lol

500gb hard drive
    Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7 (quad core)
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

I actually plan on boosting to 8gb ram as i do a lot of music production on this computer too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I'd be investing in a new graphics card if I were you...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

I don't think X-Plane 10 will run well on this system. That graphics card is way below the spec required, the clock speed on that i7 is too slow and you will need the 8 GB RAM. (But that won't make any difference given the other specs.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

cheers.. Woops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Treadhead wrote: »
    I'd be investing in a new graphics card if I were you...

Its a laptop.

Hes need a new desktop PC tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

You can download the free demo from x-plane and try it out to see how it runs but if you've already ordered it then probably not much point, as the others have said without a decent graphics card it won't be great.

The good thing about X-Plane is it uses RAM above 4Gb and all cores of your CPU, FSX doesn't which is probably why its performance can suck on modern systems.

Once more decent payware aircraft and scenery become available (and PMDG have said they ARE developing for X-Plane) it will become the best simulator by far, its physics, flight model, weather, systems etc all are far better then FSX in my view, we're just waiting for graphics and 3rd party developers to catch up.

The default Cessna 172 is my favourite GA aircraft right now, its far closer in feeling like a real cessna then any other sim. It needs constant trimming and little inputs, just like the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

pclancy wrote: »
    The default Cessna 172 is my favourite GA aircraft right now, its far closer in feeling like a real cessna then any other sim. It needs constant trimming and little inputs, just like the real thing.

If you have an FSX install too, I'd recommend the picking up the A2A C172, it's by far the closest to the real thing I've come across on that side if things.

http://www.justflight.com/product/a2a-cessna-172-with-accu-sim

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bawn

Laminar Research recently announced Oculus Rift support for x-Plane.

Can't freaking wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah that will be very cool. Some people have been having motion sickness, but for everyone else its looking to be an epic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I just downloaded the demo there... My god what a beautiful game :eek: It runs so much better than fsx too! Buying the full game now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Well i just bought a 3.4ghz imac with 8gb of ram and a 2gb graphics card so that should sort that problem haha

I was getting it anyway as my Macbook isnt powerful enough for my music stuff any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

Definitely try the demo - you might get useable frame rates using minimal rendering settings, no custom scenery and no real weather. But you really do need 1-2 GB VRAM on a discreet graphics card to get a decent experience. For what it's worth, I use X-Plane 10 on a late-2011 MacBook Pro with 1 GB VRAM and while real weather is a no-no I get acceptable performance in most scenarios.

The iMac would be fine, btw.

Advertisement