Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment tower in Sandyford being finished?

• 02-03-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Does anybody know what's happening with one of the unfinished apartment towers in Sandyford? I see a crane and scaffolding is starting to go up so presume the apartments are being finished ? Is there any way to find out whats going to be in there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

JeffK88 wrote: »

Unless the photo in the article is wrong, the work I'm talking about looks like its happening on the other unfinished building and not the Sentinel (There are two very close together for those who know the area).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

I presume it's this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0519/1224316352707.html
    THE NATIONAL Asset Management Agency is to provide a €10 million loan for the completion of a residential and commercial development at Beacon South Quarter in Sandyford.

This includes permission for a change of use of the first floor of the development and part of the second floor and would involve eliminating a permitted creche, community and ancillary restaurant and cafe and replacing with eight apartments.

Certain planned retail units would be removed from the scheme in favour of a creche with an outdoor play area.

Some other retail space would also be removed from the plan and replaced with units for community use. The receiver is also seeking an increase of one metre in the height of the building. Planned office space between the second and ninth floors would be replaced by eight one-bed apartments.

Thats the one , thanks. Eventually managed to track down the planning permission here. Good to see a terrible eyesore being finished at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Given that the structure has been skeletal for the best part of half a decade now, would prolonged exposure to the elements not have weakened the building significantly?

Let's not forget the four big freezes and severe floods that have already happened in that time frame.

If it's re-enforced with steel, would rust not have taken hold?

Are "The Comer Group" constructing an exterior finish over a concrete skeleton that has had it's fair share of exposure to mother nature?

• Advertisement

Given that the structure has been skeletal for the best part of half a decade now, would prolonged exposure to the elements not have weakened the building significantly?

I can't find the link right now but either NAMA or DLR had a survey done last year which confirmed the building was structurally sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I dont know if it was this one, but NAMA sold a partially completed apartment tower in the area for a mere €900k last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Let's not forget the four big freezes and severe floods that have already happened in that time frame.

If it's re-enforced with steel, would rust not have taken hold?

Are "The Comer Group" constructing an exterior finish over a concrete skeleton that has had it's fair share of exposure to mother nature?
    Surprisingly, the concrete structure is able to withstand all that better than you'd think and the steel is buried in the concrete so it's impenetrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

spacetweek wrote: »
    Surprisingly, the concrete structure is able to withstand all that better than you'd think and the steel is buried in the concrete so it's impenetrable.

Agreed,but this assumes that the entire structure was built in accordance with the regulations.....the risk lies in it having been McFeely'd :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

spacetweek wrote: »

would some steel not have been exposed to the elements? Or insulation left exposed ?

• Advertisement

malibu4u wrote: »
    would some steel not have been exposed to the elements? Or insulation left exposed ?

Ermmm...getting the place actually finished is enough of a challenge,given the nightly cavalcade of vans of various colours which circumnavigate the site...I first thought it was some new form of "Dublin's Unfinished Plaza's by Night" Tour,but it appears the tourists are somewhat more prosaic...;)

Although,I do notice a significantly increased level of Security Presence in the past week,so perhaps they really do mean business this time round ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ermmm...getting the place actually finished is enough of a challenge,given the nightly cavalcade of vans of various colours which circumnavigate the site...I first thought it was some new form of "Dublin's Unfinished Plaza's by Night" Tour,but it appears the tourists are somewhat more prosaic...;)

Although,I do notice a significantly increased level of Security Presence in the past week,so perhaps they really do mean business this time round ?

I'd say the fact that it's completely covered in scaffolding and has a crane overhead that would give the game away! Soory to be facetious, I live nearby and am dying to see this eyesore completed. Hopefully its neighbour gets done soon too

grimbergen wrote: »
    I'd say the fact that it's completely covered in scaffolding and has a crane overhead that would give the game away! Soory to be facetious, I live nearby and am dying to see this eyesore completed. Hopefully its neighbour gets done soon too

Sorry grimbergen,(is Bergen REALLY that grim ?)...but I was referrring to the renewed activity in the small compound adjacent to the actual building.

You are SO correct though about the eyesore level,at some point somebody needs to make a call on some of these developments countrywide.....and in some cases I would see reverting back to greenfield as a better option ?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sorry grimbergen,(is Bergen REALLY that grim ?)...but I was referrring to the renewed activity in the small compound adjacent to the actual building.

They're using it as a supply base for the work on the fourth quarter of the Cubes.
    You are SO correct though about the eyesore level,at some point somebody needs to make a call on some of these developments countrywide.....and in some cases I would see reverting back to greenfield as a better option ?

Perhaps that's what will happen to the corner site but the apartments are being decided on a case by case basis by NAMA. They put €10 million into this project so they clearly believe there's more money to be made out of completing and selling the apartments than demolishing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Sorry grimbergen,(is Bergen REALLY that grim ?)...

In winter, it certainly is, but I presume the poster takes his/her inspiration from the municipality in Flanders or the beer of the same name (which is certainly inspirational).

There are few of these larger Apartment developments moving now - Clancy Quay is for sale, with a a lot of the Apartments let already. It might look like there's a glut of apartments out there, but it wouldn't take much job growth in Dublin for things to tighten up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark1990

Anyone Know what is happening to the Sentinel Building in Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wicklowgirl13

Does anybody know when the developments will be finished? and how the new residential apartments will affect market prices of apartments currently in the area?

Does anybody know when the developments will be finished? and how the new residential apartments will affect market prices of apartments currently in the area?

The scaffolding is coming down now so the external works and windows etc. are finished. Looks good I think but hard to judge as the site is a bit of a mess overall. Will be nice to see it finished. The other (larger and bigger eyesore) building is still a shell.

There are also 65 apartments up the road at St Rapahaela's school finished and ready for sale/rent by the looks of it.

To answer your question I can't imagine they'll affect apartment prices too much in the area as rents are still very strong and demand outstrips supply in a big way by all accounts. The luas is a major reason for a lot of this. I've heard the Raphaelas apartments will be rented in full for example and I'd expect NAMA might do something similar with the other building.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

From IT 01.05.2014......

Construction of apartments in the Beacon South Quarter in Sandyford, south Dublin, has finally been completed, nine years after the scheme was first launched, and almost all of the units have been rented out.
    The development, which is also home to a shopping centre and children’s museum, Imaginosity, was launched to great fanfare in 2005, when two-bed apartments were asking between €350,000 and €450,000. When the next phase was launched, in February 2006, 200 apartments were sold within 24 hours, with two-beds creeping up to €470,000. The market then dropped and the unfinished scheme became an eyesore reminder of the country’s shift in fortune.
    The developer, Landmark Enterprises, went into receivership in 2010, and a huge tarpaulin, designed to replicate an actual apartment building, was draped over the skeletal structure until Nama agreed to fund its completion in 2012 with a loan of €10.3 million.
    Construction started last year and the last part, The Gates development, has now been finished with 82 of its 85 one-, two- and three-bed apartments already rented out. According to Simon Coyle of Mazars, the Nama-appointed receiver, it is achieving rents of about €1,450 to €1,500 for two- bedroom properties in the development.
    He said it is the receiver’s view “at the moment” to rent the units, but could foresee a sale in the future, although this would likely be to an industry investor rather than a sell-off of individual properties. No properties have been set aside in The Gates complex for social housing.
    In 2011, Nama sold a finished block of 58 apartments in Beacon South to the voluntary housing organisation Clúid.
    There has been a number of recent block sales in the area, with property investment fund Hibernia Reit paying €67 million to acquire a bundle of assets, including 213 partly-completed residential units at Wyckham Point in Dundrum.

It looks like work might be commencing on the Sentinel - they're clearing away around the base of the building, presumably to erect scaffolding. Hopefully this is the case and this eyesore can be dealt with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

here you go

http://www.comerproperty.ie/our-developments/the-sentinel-lettings/

the following is from the indo on 17/4/14

The Comers are planning to create 294 live work units in the 14-storey tower and the adjoining building, which would be increased from six to eight storeys.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    here you go

http://www.comerproperty.ie/our-developments/the-sentinel-lettings/

The Comers are planning to create 294 live work units in the 14-storey tower and the adjoining building, which would be increased from six to eight storeys.

Cheers. Interesting that they're going for offices also. Personally I prefer to see more residential as it brings more life to the area but good to see it finished either way. That road in front of it with the barriers is a terrible eyesore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

rameire wrote: »
    here you go

According to the map with this link the building is to be located on Blackglen Road!

That will come as a bit of a shock to many....

Advertisement